AC Delco Rapidfires... Worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any replies you get are going to be subjective probably. I have tried a number of platinums (not this one though) and I really like the Bosch +4's. But many people tell you that they have not liked them. Well at least my post moved in up and maybe you'll get an answer.
smile.gif

BTW I have used the Bosch's on two 3.1's and they worked fine.

Have you had the intake gasket go out yet on that 3.1??

Rapidfires are platinum but maybe only single platinum. At any rate plugs are the wrong place to look for power multiple electyrodes do not help since while one gets used the others just get dirty. Actually the only benifit plat. has over copper plugs is longevity there is no performance gain to be had.

Thanks for the responses... I have really liked the 3100 V6. (no leaks yet that I know of @ 120K)

I think I will try these plugs out. They are single platinum plugs with Silver side electrodes.

Anyone try these in a different vehicle?

quote:

Originally posted by Elroy the Unique:
Thanks for the responses... I have really liked the 3100 V6. (no leaks yet that I know of @ 120K)

Its almost statistically impossible for that manifold not to be leaking at that milage. I'd bet money that an oil analysis will show a leak. I have been associated with 3 of them in tha past 10 years. All 3 leaked.
frown.gif

For those 3100 V6 engines, is there anything that can be done as peventative maintenance? (i.e. using the bar's stop leak pellets that GM uses at the factory?)

I too am interested in those Spark Plugs. I have heard great things.

I used the Rapidfires a long time ago (they weren't platinum then). Do they still have the sort of crowned shaped (splined) center electrode? That was suppost to make a difference and I believe it did. They ran well in my Plymouth.

They have been in my 1993 Limina siince 1997 (yrs) and I also have them in my 1992 Chevy 4x4. They both run fine, I will not use anything else.

Last year I had the Bosch +4 in my 1992 plow truck and it ran terrible. Would run rough on a cold start and seem to lack performance on the road. After about 4,000 miles I intalled AC Delco Rapid Fires and everything instantly improved, no more cold rough idle. It was not something else, as all other parts of engine were new including the engine.

The original design made a big difference in old non-electronic ignitions. They completely stopped the cold stumble in a 1972 Buick. I see no reason to run non-OEM design plugs with modern electronic ignitions unless the original plugs were not platinum and they are very hard to change, like transverse V-6 installations.

If you have a GM engine, don't use Bosch Platniums. Their center electrode won't hold up.

I've used the Rapidfires for years, they are a good plug and will last a long time, almost as long as the double platnium.

-T

I am using them in a '99 GM 3.4 V6. They work fine, and were CHEAPER than the OEM Declo double platinum type plug.

BTW... mine has 97k miles, and no coolant leak. Annual Oil Analysis with a 'read' by Terry confirms the gaskets are sealing (so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back