AC Delco Going Metal eCore

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Looks like AC Delco is going with a metal wire eCore center tube design. Should be interesting to see how it works out.

1644958795608.jpeg

1644958962728.jpeg

Center tubes don't really contribute much delta-p anyway ... unless it's a louvered center tube with barely opened up louvers like have been seen once and awhile.

Wonder if this is cartridges only, or spin-ons too? Might cut down on the crushed, twisted cartridge filters (that AREN'T Hengst made) a little.
The AC Delco video shows a spin-on.

I'm curious why they are going from nylon to metal? Seems like making it out of metal might be harder to do than molded nylon.

I don’t think so. Machinery is pretty good with making almost everything.

If you look closely that looks like a heavy duty fencing hardware. They just cut and weld together to make the tube.

It will be interesting to see the first C&P on one of these.

Then, is it really still an "ecore"? Or perhaps a mecore, metcore or metcage. What are those endcaps made of?

I rather like the current Champs Labs ACD/Super Tech ecore design. Wonder if SuperTech and AZ STP ecore will change.

I'm curious why they are going from nylon to metal? Seems like making it out of metal might be harder to do than molded nylon.
That was my thought too. Can't really be a money savings, especially if they have to form the metal cage via some sort of welding process.
Maybe it's just a plastic that's chrome-coated to look like metal. You know, so that Harley owners will buy it.

Funny - I don't hear anyone whining about the lack of metal end caps ... or the nitrile ADBV ...

Seriously though, in the end, I'm sure it'll work just fine.

I wonder if this new core is in response to some other change like the filter media? The two major filter families are consolidating designs and materials across the lines.

"If" this new design has gone back to the previous polyester endcaps with the new metal cage, 'I personally' would not consider it an improvement over the current ACDelco hybrid ecore design.

Really, it hasn't been all that long since ACDelco was touting the current aforementioned upgraded ecore, as shown in the link.*

Back