AC condenser w/integral oil cooler

Own a 1994 GM P-30 chassis motorhome (Fleetwood Southwind Storm) and the oil cooler was leaking. Completed the repair which required me to evacuate the AC system (was working great). The condenser/oil cooler is roughly the same size as radiator and sits right smack dab in front of it. Clean the radiator out real well while I had the condenser/oil cooler out. After replacing the condenser/oil cooler I buttoned everything back up and awaited arrival of my new AC drier bottle and low pressure circuit.

Questions...

1. How much oil should I add to the AC system given I replaced the condenser?

2. Where to add the oil? Drier bottle or line removed from bottle suffice?

3. What oil to use?

Here's a pic of the compressor and AC condenser w/integral oil cooler...
20220714_152417[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20220825_184123[1].jpg
    20220825_184123[1].jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
R134a or R12?

Looks like a Sanden Compressor (508?) which GM rarely if ever used. Those old Sanden's called for SP-20 which is Pag 100 when using 134a.

I'd add 2 ounces to the receiver & 2 ounces to the condenser.

R134a or R12?

Looks like a Sanden Compressor (508?) which GM rarely if ever used. Those old Sanden's called for SP-20 which is Pag 100 when using 134a.

I'd add 2 ounces to the receiver & 2 ounces to the condenser.
R-134a

Was thinking Sanden as well. Had someone tell me it was a Valeo DKS compressor. Really? Can't find a Valeo that looks like this. LOL!

Going to have to get a closer look at the compressor serial plate on it.

Searching Sanden shows...
Sanden SD5..........................PAG 100
Sanden SD7 (key shaft)..............PAG 100
Sanden SD7 (splined shaft)..........PAG 46
Sanden SD7V.........................PAG 46
Sanden TR...........................PAG 46
Sanden TRF..........................PAG 46
Sanden TRS..........................PAG 46

With respect to vacuuming the system...after adding oil won't it remove the oil? Or is the vac low enough to not pull it and only air?

With respect to vacuuming the system...after adding oil won't it remove the oil? Or is the vac low enough to not pull it and only air?
It's not that kind of vacuum. No it won't pull oil out. The oil goes inside the compressor where that bolt is. It will eventually make it's way past the rings and into the system.

PAG-100 it is.

As for adding oil...

How much should I add? Replaced the condenser and drier bottle.

The system is currently closed with the old drier still on. I have the new drier and low pressure switch ready for install. Just add the oil to the bottle and/or line once disconnected?

As said above, it is vacuum pump not vacuum cleaner.
The pump is hook up to the charge port of the AC system.
I forgot which port (high or low or both).
Once it gets to the desire vacuum spec, it needs to be left alone and making sure that the system can hold it which means no leak.
This needs to be done before charging with refrigerant.

Check YT if you are going to DIY.

Also, from this forum, I got a suggestion to buy a product called "Nylog" (Amazon is the easiest source).
You put it on all the o-rings instead of PAG.
This is the thread sealant for AC system.

As said above, it is vacuum pump not vacuum cleaner.
The pump is hook up to the charge port of the AC system.
I forgot which port (high or low or both).
Once it gets to the desire vacuum spec, it needs to be left alone and making sure that the system can hold it which means no leak.
This needs to be done before charging with refrigerant.

Check YT if you are going to DIY.

Also, from this forum, I got a suggestion to buy a product called "Nylog" (Amazon is the easiest source).
You put it on all the o-rings instead of PAG.
This is the thread sealant for AC system.
Have used a similar product called Hercules Megaloc. Permatex thread sealant is another good one.

But I've never had to use on an AC system so long the o-ring/s were used and/or replaced.

FYI:

AC sniffer will detect Nylog telling you a leak when there likely isn't one.

Last edited:
3-4 ounces is fine for those parts on a system that size. SD5 and SD7 series compressors have a crankcase unlike most other compressors. That hex plug on the top of the compressor is the oil drain and fill plug. Add the oil there

Stopped cold...

See something different?

Waited a **** week and wrong drier bottle.

New drier bottle specs:
GPD 1411721 Info

w/ Drier; 18mm Male Inx12mm QDF Out; 10mm Male Sw Port; w/ Bracket

The correct one is GPD 1411722 and of course Rockauto doesn't list for this vehicle. LOL!

Attachments

• 20220902_182102[1].jpg
    20220902_182102[1].jpg
    106 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220902_182108[1].jpg
    20220902_182108[1].jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back