AC blows dead animal smell with a huge vibration!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there were a dead body smell coming from your trunk and your car was sitting very low in the rear, what assumption would you make?

Like everyone else said: Do an internet search on how to remove your blower, remove it, clear the dead mouse out of there, clean out as much as you can with diluted bleach, and be done.

Find a different mechanic. The dash shouldn't have to come out just to take out the blower motor.

Get it fixed unless you want hamburger blowing out your vents.

Happens all the time on certain cars. Mouse nest in blower VERY COMMON. I just paid 300 bucks last fall to get a mouse out of my Nissan. The imbalance will destroy the heater blower bearings.

Had it happen on my 2001 stratus R/T tsubishi. There the blower above under the ps footwell and accessable.

Nissan required to remove most of dash and pedal assy. Mechanic had short cut to make 800 dollar job a 300 dollar job.

Pleanty of places for rodent to get in car.
Your mechanic appear to have little experience. I dump him/her.

I am going to go out on a limb and assume you have what was a dead animal in there. I say was because it is most likely some sort of hamburger now. Not uncommon to see it. The customers always get upset when we tell them that not only is it not warranty, but there is more labor since the tech has to deal with the dead animal chunks all over the heater box.

A mouse has a collapsible rib cage and can fit through a 1/4 x 1/2 space. New England is a popular area for mice. I keep traps in all my vehicles. One built a nest on the exhaust manifold of my wife's Kia and the thing caught on fire. Another would make a nest on top of the motor every night, she would drive an hour to work on the highway, work all day, drive home, and then it would go to work again on repairing or enlarging it's nest. Another made a nest in my Aveo air box until I screened it off. They constantly stink up my trucks. Can't figure out how they're getting in.

Get a good farm dog or two. They'll dig them out and keep them in check.

I have changed out a few cabin air filters that were 100% clogged and moldy and smelled horrible. Try the cabin air filter and when yo have it open stick a shop vac tool in there and you may get lucky. Then spray the CAF compartment with Lysol liberally before you replace the new filter. My 4 Runner blower motor actually sucked in part of the cabin air filter enough to have the filter pleats touch the blower wheel and make a horrible vibration and noise.

Well, thanks for the answers guys. I went to my appointment and wanted to talk to owner. The guy who said dash needs to be out is an employee over there. I should've taken his words with a grain of salt anyway.

I guess at least now I know what I blower motor is. Mechanic removed the mouse from the motor and cleaned the area, sprayed some lysol. I had kept my old cabin air filter since it wasn't so bad, so I replaced that one as well and cleaned the car with tuffstuff.

I got my heater working before winter kicks in and I did it before rotten mouse smell stuck to my car seats. Cost was $45 for half hour labor. Thanks for the answers and help. I appreciate every effort to inform me about the subject!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back