AC Issue

I have an issue with the Air Conditioning in my 11 Mazda6, 190K. The AC functions but lately when I start the car and then turn on the AC I hear a loud binding/grinding noise when I assume the AC kicks on. I do know I am due for a serpentine belt (has 90k on the belt). The noise goes away after the AC starts up. Seems to be worse the longer the car has been sitting.

Any ideas on what the issue is? Could it be the AC clutch? Is it bad to use the AC with it in this condition (I.e I shouldn’t use it until it gets fixed)?

Thanks.

I installed a new a/c clutch recently and it made the most awful sound. Cycled it a few dozen times and it went away. Yours is probably a worn out clutch or the compressor itself is dying, it's impossible to tell without hearing it

My former truck was a 1997 Nissan Hard Body. The clutch on the A/C compressor was completely worn out. When the compressor engaged it would let out a squeal that would actually get the attention of 18-wheeler drivers if we were on the Interstate. The air gap was excessive and engagement was sporadic at best. If I'd rev the engine to about 5,000 RPM it would kick on and when it did they could hear it in China.

I loved that old truck. I finally broke down and put a compressor on it and sold it at around 340,000 miles.

Back