Could a noisy spinning ac clutch cause hot air?

Hey good evening,

I have a 1990 toyota corolla and the ac compressor started making noise some time ago and the air from the ac blows warm since some time ago. the sound the ac compressor makes resembles exactly the sound heard on this video: https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxIzKhA_Qe-AllQLnKjW-GEb-yGDD4qYld. I wonder if when the hot air comes out of the ac; with the ac making this noise and the ac clutch moves...-could an ac clutch noise like the one in the video cause the ac to blow warm?

perhaps the ac compressor coil has a bad ground?

cheers

jorge

IF the compressor is actually spinning with the clutch being engaged, the system should provide cold air. Sounds like you have other issues causing the lack of cold air as well a a clutch or compressor making noise. I would make sure that alternator isn't making the noise.

If you leave the A/C turned on all the time, can you hear the compressor clutch kicking on and off every so often by itself? Or does the clutch stay engaged all the time?

If the compressor clutch never disengages the compressor, and it never blows cold air, then the sysyem's charge is probably super low or gone (system leak), and/or the compressor is bad. Or the clutch sounds like it's engaged, but it's really not turning the compressor well.

Do a visual inspection of the A/C compressor when it's running and verify that the clutch is engaging. If the clutch is engaging then the next step would be to verify that accuracy of the refrigerant charge. If the charge is within operating range then the next thing should be to verify that the operating pressures are within range.

A clutch that isn't engaging will prevent the compressor from compressing.
A low charge will make the system underperform due to lack of refrigerant.
A leak in the system will lead to repeated low charge conditions and ultimately poor performance.
A worn compressor will prevent the refrigerant charge from either being pressurized to the proper levels or keep the pressures between the low and high side separated which will lead to poor performance.

Bottom line - get it on a machine and diagnose the problem. At thirty-two years of age I'd say it would appreciate a nice, new compressor and some fresh oil and gas for the summer.

Compressor bearing overheating or falling apart can damage the seal in the front of the compressor and let the refrigerant leak out.

If compressor does not engage when you press the button with the engine running, unplug the pressure switch and check if it is closed circuit. If all refrigerant has leaked out, the switch will be open.

the compressor itself can also die inside and make funny noises/quit pumping, and the clutch could be fine

Back