HVAC smell

I have a 2008 VW Rabbit that we have owned since new. Suddenly, without any obvious reason, the HVAC system is emitting a smell. My wife calls it a "band aid" smell, of adhesives. I smell it mostly on startup, but my nose is terrible; to her and my daughter, it is apparently horrible. The AC drain is draining. I used nextzett Klima-Cleaner to clean the evaporator, although it looked clean. That didn't help much, if at all. Not really sure where to go from here, in 30 years of auto maintenance I have never had to deal with this. Any ideas? Thanks!

Look for a disinfectant.
How old is your cabin air filter?

I've always had luck keeping the smell away by setting my A/C at 72-74 degrees.

Start the car, turn the AC on, but turn the temperature up as high as it goes. Might as well roll the windows down and get out of the car - just let it run in your driveway for 5-10 minutes. After this, leave it running with the AC on and take a can of disinfectant aerosol spray (I use Lysol but there are companies that make "special" cans claiming to be just for this) and spray it in each of the fresh air inlets along the windshield cowl. Don't know if your car has 1 or 2 or 3 but you'll see them. Make sure the system is in OUTSIDE-AIR mode, not RECIRC. Spray as much as you want or just do ~30 seconds per inlet. When you're done, again, leave it running so it clears the aerosol out of the system 'cause it will about knock you out if you get in too soon or have the windows closed.

Those things might work or might not.... They're a cheap and easy option either way.

My F-150 has this problem sometimes. It seems to help if I shut off the A/C a few miles before home on a longer trip and let the fan run fast to dry out the coils so they don't sit wet to allow mildew to grow.

My F-150 has this problem sometimes. It seems to help if I shut off the A/C a few miles before home on a longer trip and let the fan run fast to dry out the coils so they don't sit wet to allow mildew to grow.
That's another option and it does seem to work, but when it's 95º F outside with 246% humidity, I don't like that option ! 🤣

That's another option and it does seem to work, but when it's 95º F outside with 246% humidity, I don't like that option ! 🤣
I don't either, but it is the only thing Ford said that would fix it and it seems to help. Mine smells like dirty wet sock or vinegar sometimes.

They also make some pretty good "ODOR BOMBS" that will help disinfect the A/C system. Ones I have used in the past have incorporated an aerosol chlorine compound that is produced by wetting a spong that comes with the kit. I forget the exact name, but is was "Star.." something.
You need to cover some plastic parts and dash cover to use these kits.

A lot of manufacturers also employ an A/C fan "after run" feature to help keep the evap coil dry.

Back