About what year did coolant hoses get good?

Is there a specific year or range of years where the rubber got better in coolant hoses?

Seems like today's vehicles go 300k on original hoses, and I could never do that with hoses from the '80's, they got changed every 100k.

Is there a specific year or range of years where the rubber got better in coolant hoses?

Seems like today's vehicles go 300k on original hoses, and I could never do that with hoses from the '80's, they got changed every 100k.
I think it depends on the manufacturer. European hoses have been very durable for at least the past 20 years.

If they are not exposed to motor oil they’d last forever. The 4.0 in the Jeeps made sure you replaced those hoses and that bad valve cover gasket leak.

It depends on the manufacturer. Working at an autoparts store, i still sell plenty of hoses for vehicles built in the 2010's. Mostly Chevy and Dodge. I don't see many japanese manufacturer hoses failing severely. Normally just weeping leaking, or minor cracks after 100k or more miles

I fixed Japanese and German cars from about 1995 to 2005. We hardly ever replaced hoses for failure. Often when replacing radiator or water pump they would get damaged on removal, or just replaced on general principles. Cars dated mostly from 1984 and newer. So I'd say earlier than that.

Changed all the hoses on my '08 Hyundai Accent at 150k. Almost all were still in good shape. What goes on Hyundais is the OE clamps. They either lose their tension or rust asway. Had to start replacing them at 100k.

I’d say around 20-22 years ago.

And imagine if you are in the hose business? 🤣🤣

And belts aren’t far behind either. I went to a Gates seminar/class a few years back and you know it’s not good for Gates when they have to sell their belts like this...you can’t really tell when are belts are worn visually anymore, use this little gauge instead because they rarely crack or show visual wear. Another reason why you’d want to change a belt (that appears visually good) is because a worn belt will cause your alternator to work harder (minuscule slippage) and throw random charging and check engine lights. If you get random electrical issues and check engine lights, change your belt.

You know they’re in trouble when they have to say stuff like this^^. Because it’s like saying, gas prices went up because people gained weight for not being on a keto diet. Try a keto diet, lose weight, increase fuel mileage and the global crude shortages will cease.

About 10 years ago I brought a 2002 Honda to the dealer for a recall. While there I asked that they change the radiator hoses. He told me they don't recommend that service anymore. I was surprised that the hoses didn't need to be replaced and I was even more surprised that a dealer was honest enough to tell me they didn't need to do something I asked them to do. Got to admit, that small act of integrity did bring me back to that dealer on other occasions.

About 10 years ago I brought a 2002 Honda to the dealer for a recall. While there I asked that they change the radiator hoses. He told me they don't recommend that service anymore. I was surprised that the hoses didn't need to be replaced and I was even more surprised that a dealer was honest enough to tell me they didn't need to do something I asked them to do. Got to admit, that small act of integrity did bring me back to that dealer on other occasions.
That’s a good story. I’ve had people tell me they went to the dealer for service and were told to replace the radiator as cooling service maintenance. I’m serious.

The hoses on my 73 VW Beetle lasted forever. But all kidding aside The only hose I ever had to replace was on a early 90's GMC.

That’s a good story. I’ve had people tell me they went to the dealer for service and were told to replace the radiator as cooling service maintenance. I’m serious.
Not sure where this was, but over here that's definitely a thing. You're lucky if you get 4-5 years out of an aluminum/plastic radiator in a vehicle that's been driven all throughout summer, before it gets all brittle and starts cracking like an eggshell. A lot of people here replace them as "preventive maintenance", especially those with all-aluminum engines.

The hoses on my '86 Volvo 740 Turbo were original and still fine after 18 1/2 years of service (285,000 Km). The turbocharger glowed faintly range when running in the mountains. So there was heat under the hood though the engine never ran hot.

I replaced one radiator hose on my 2000 BMW, so one hose during 22 years of service.

I recently changed the serpentine belt on my 2007 Honda Accord after 180,000 Km. It was still fine (after 15 years) but in my mind it was getting old. The hoses are still original of course.

To answer the question "by the mid '80s, for European cars at least".

I've replaced hoses just because I was in the area already replacing some other item, such as the radiator. Maybe I shouldn't have? It would be a real kick in the pants if the aftermarket hose didn't last as long as the original one did.

Back