About what year did coolant hoses get good?

Not sure where this was, but over here that's definitely a thing. You're lucky if you get 4-5 years out of an aluminum/plastic radiator in a vehicle that's been driven all throughout summer, before it gets all brittle and starts cracking like an eggshell. A lot of people here replace them as "preventive maintenance", especially those with all-aluminum engines.
Very interesting!

Where I am? No, generally a radiator will last the life of the vehicle unless something crashes into it, or the road salt finally destroys the lower section (but that takes a long time). Sometimes I might see side tank gaskets leak on some vehicles using a brand that the manufacturer bid on (GM Silverados come to mind). But usually unless something goes wrong these things are going to last a long while. And they’re pretty cheap to purchase...labor can be tough on some of them though for sure.

the biggest factor is that many hoses are now integrated with plastic couplers or tees. those usually have a lifespan of 10-20 years

And belts aren’t far behind either. I went to a Gates seminar/class a few years back and you know it’s not good for Gates when they have to sell their belts like this...you can’t really tell when are belts are worn visually anymore, use this little gauge instead because they rarely crack or show visual wear. Another reason why you’d want to change a belt (that appears visually good) is because a worn belt will cause your alternator to work harder (minuscule slippage) and throw random charging and check engine lights. If you get random electrical issues and check engine lights, change your belt.

A lot of this industry non-sense of over exaggerating slight truths in the name of safety seems to be trickling into many areas. Eg. Tire manufacturers and the 6 year old rule.

Yea, technically the grooves in a drive belt will wear out but until you're actually getting slippage (which IMO is usually due to poor tension), there's a whole whackload of safety factor in there. The EPDM in a belt could almost all dry rot away and you'd still have the carcass in there holding it together.

With coolant hoses, the primary concern is leaks or it bursting. But you'd have to really neglect it and not see the signs well in advance for it to get that bad (eg. bulges, cracks).

Yea, technically the grooves in a drive belt will wear out but until you're actually getting slippage (which IMO is usually due to poor tension), there's a whole whackload of safety factor in there. The EPDM in a belt could almost all dry rot away and you'd still have the carcass in there holding it together.

I've seen belts where large chunks of the ribs are missing. They get replaced. Unsure how long they were run to get to that point.

None of the coolant hoses on my '81 Mazda (see below) failed or threatened to fail, except one small bypass hose.

Changed all the hoses on my '08 Hyundai Accent at 150k. Almost all were still in good shape. What goes on Hyundais is the OE clamps. They either lose their tension or rust asway. Had to start replacing them at 100k.
I would say around the early 2000, is when I noticed the quality of the rubber hoses and other components started lasting the life of the vehicle .

My 94 Saturn SL2 blew almost every hose under the hood related to the cooling system in 2006 ish with under 100k.

I’ve never had to replace a radiator hose on a Hyundai/Kia vehicle ever. As stated above the clamps are the first things to get questionable.

I plan to rock the OEM radiator components and hoses until this they visually look bad, swell, crack etc. in the meantime I just do visual inspections, make sure there’s no leaks, and wipe them down from time to time.

One last note I think changing the coolant helps prolong the life of the components.

The last time I ever replaced a radiator hose was on my 1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo and it had only 70,000 miles and developed a pinhole leak on the top hose. I never replaced one after that episode therefore I would say around the 80's the hoses lasted almost forever.

Had to replace top rad hose on my 1976 Chevy Nova after about 5 years.
Never had to replace a hose in my 1975 Civic in 9 years.
The Nova stranded me on the highway twice: above mentioned hose, blown transmission seal.
Civic once, only after putting in junk aftermarket points.

Back