About Revenge And A Rice Cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah

Brown rice is prolly better for your blood sugar or so I hear...and I do buy it on occasion.

I cain't live without my steamed white rice. I just cain't. I guess I could switch to parboiled and cut the difference.

You might want to be aware that rice consumption has recently been linked to diabetes. Not sure if that is for all varieties or just white.

It's the white rice that is linked to Diabetes, i've been eating white rice all my life, Love it. switched over to brown rice couple of years ago,just as good if not better. I've had several rice cookers,Panasonic,Tiger and currently have a Zojirushi
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: crinkles
how many folks here like brown rice? We only buy brown rice... love it!

Brown rice is prolly better for your blood sugar or so I hear...and I do buy it on occasion.

I cain't live without my steamed white rice. I just cain't. I guess I could switch to parboiled and cut the difference.

Uncle Ben FTW!

I prefer 50/50 mix of steamed brown/white rice, My digestive system likes it better that way.
wink.gif

Used to eat mostly white rice, but have now switched and eat brown rice most of the time. Seems to be more filling and I have also seen some of the discussion about health issues with the white rice. Same as the white versus "whole grain" bread conversation.

Personally, my favorite rice is wild rice, but it takes some work and lord does it stink up the house when its being cooked! Mmmmm, Wild Rice Soup....

Originally Posted By: crinkles
bought a 5 cup cheapie today... we'll see how long it goes. haven't checked the warrantee yet - $27!

Bet you'll like it and I bet you it will last a long time...

This is my second "cheapie" and the first one was still going strong when the wife threw it away because she broke the lid. When that happened I went to an ethnic Thai store and bought my National that I miss so much!

Remember don't count on the pan measurements! Measure yourself via a kitchen cup measure device. A beaker is what you need!

Anyways let me know how many cups of water per cup of brown rice. I usually cheat and can tell by dipping my finger into the rice and water how much to add or sip off. It takes awhile to get that proficient but I eat rice everyday. I used to eat the KOKE Korean medium grain rice as it was really gooey if cooked right and one could grab a handful of rice and roll it into a ball and put the "rice balls" in a container and they would stay fresh even if you ate them cold. Awesome in the lunch pail with a slice of roast beef!
20.gif

So many different rice varieties if you look for them...so little time!
cheers3.gif

Try some Jasmine rice too! My wife's favorite but I swear it's a bit sweeter or something. It does smell wonderful though once in awhile especially with a pot of curry on the stove...

start at 1.5 measures water to 1 measure of unboiled brown rice. sometimes i like it a bit rougher and use less. I just use the closest bowl or cup shaped object to measure it out...

For future reference when your next rice cooker gets gunky, I use a slurry of automatic dishwasher powder and whatever appropriate scrubber for the surface. It cuts through greasy spots like nothing I've ever used. It might have saved your old cooker from an ignominious end.

My wife has had a Sunbeam rice cooker for years, long before she met me. I have never used it and have always cooked rice by boiling/simmering. I may have to pull the beast down and use it one of these days. We use brown rice exclusively, so that might present a challenge for my learning curve.

I can understand why your wife wants it gone, usually a 3 cups rice cooker wouldn't really be able to cook 3 cups if you want no spill. Usually a 5-10 cups would be good for 3 cups with minimum splash.

Regarding to inner lining. The newer Taiwanese/Chinese ones are pretty decent and in some way could be better than Japanese if you want special stuff cooked in it (i.e. use it as a steamer, cook porridge / congee). The trend is to use stainless steel but aluminum without non stick from the old days is just as good.

Rice cooker usually don't die, they get dirty and paints peeled off, that's about it.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I can understand why your wife wants it gone, usually a 3 cups rice cooker wouldn't really be able to cook 3 cups if you want no spill. Usually a 5-10 cups would be good for 3 cups with minimum splash.

Regarding to inner lining. The newer Taiwanese/Chinese ones are pretty decent and in some way could be better than Japanese if you want special stuff cooked in it (i.e. use it as a steamer, cook porridge / congee). The trend is to use stainless steel but aluminum without non stick from the old days is just as good.

Rice cooker usually don't die, they get dirty and paints peeled off, that's about it.

She wanted it gone because she's nuts! Ah well...that cooker had been with me for 8 years or so...through good times and bad times...when I was broke I always had rice...when I had money I always had beef to put on the rice...

I need to stop getting sentimental about mechanical objects.

My wife and I have never taken the time to make slow-cooked rice - all our rice consumption is 5-minute white, made in a small pot with a meal.

My mom likes all kinds of exotic rice, and has made some really good wild rice stuffing for holiday turkey. I've just never 'got into' fancy rice.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back