Dealing with my younger sister

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Dang...such a secret combination of getting people hooked and have everyone in on it sometimes without knowing.

How is it a secret when everyone knows about it?

It's been well known that drug abuse can eventually lead to the end stage of death for a very long time.

Like I said before, way too many doctors did use proper medical common sense when prescribing these pain meds.

Even for minor dental surgery (wisdom teeth removal) .... patients given meds as if they had major knee, hiip or back surgery.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Dang...such a secret combination of getting people hooked and have everyone in on it sometimes without knowing.

How is it a secret when everyone knows about it?

It's been well known that drug abuse can eventually lead to the end stage of death for a very long time.

That part is obvious.

I meant being in on the scheme of making drug czars mass money on peoples addictions without knowing they are contributing. I wonder how many doctors know they are in inadvertently pushing the agenda of mass addiction.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Like I said before, way too many doctors did use proper medical common sense when prescribing these pain meds.

Even for minor dental surgery (wisdom teeth removal) .... patients given meds as if they had major knee, hiip or back surgery.

I was once given an Oxy prescription for pink-eye. Yes. You read correctly.

I ran the prescription through the shredder.

When I was 13, I was given a prescription for hydro-codeine. Guess they wanted me to start early.

I remember my father pointing out the cars belonging to the pill pushers that come in and offer doctors all sorts of perks for pushing the pain meds.

My wife was offered 20 Oxys after stitches...by the same doctor she calmly WATCHED put 16 sutures in her arm. (Just a shot of Morrocaine.) I was given a script for 2 dozen after having my wisdom teeth out.

Last edited:
Should have read:
Did NOT use proper medical common sense...

Pharmaceutical sales reps love taking doctors out to fancy dinners and promoting all the benefits of the controlled drugs they sell.

Not surprised Oxy was prescribed for pink eye that only needs eyes drops from pharmacy.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

My sister is a recovering heroin addict. She was injured playing college basketball, put on opioids which led to her using heroin.
She goes to a private methadone clinic which my dad pays for which cost $105 a week. She goes once a week and takes home dosing for 6 days.

I'm 29 yrs clean/sober. I hang with the 30-40 yr sober folks.
It doesn't sound like your sister is a "recovering" addict, she's just in a temporary holding pattern before her next crash & burn.

As mentioned previously the answer (as I experience it and all the others around me) is "Don't drink/use and go to meetings" .

I had to come to the point where my addiction was causing more pain than recovery was .... and I grasped for recovery as a drowning man would gasp for his next breath.

Al Anon/Nar Anon would help you and your family. Addiction/Alcoholism is a family disease.

Good luck

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

When I was 13, I was given a prescription for hydro-codeine. Guess they wanted me to start early.

I remember my father pointing out the cars belonging to the pill pushers that come in and offer doctors all sorts of perks for pushing the pain meds.

People have a different tolerance to pain. It's also standard advice to tell patients to use as needed. I've gotten perocets and vicodins after surgery also. I used them as needed. Once it wasn't painful, I stopped using them. Still have a small supply of them. Can't put all the blame on the docs when it's the patients who takes them.

People have a different tolerance to pain. It's also standard advice to tell patients to use as needed. I've gotten perocets and vicodins after surgery also. I used them as needed. Once it wasn't painful, I stopped using them.

That is the difference between normal folk and addicts. Normal folk stop the pills after healing and addicts can't.
And it's far deeper than the use of the drug or alcohol.
I heard it so well said: "What is the difference between a hard drinker and an alcoholic? It's simple, hard drinker - put the bottle down and problem is solved ... alcoholic - put the bottle down and your problems are just starting."

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
That is the difference between normal folk and addicts. Normal folk stop the pills after healing and addicts can't.
And it's far deeper than the use of the drug or alcohol.
I heard it so well said: "What is the difference between a hard drinker and an alcoholic? It's simple, hard drinker - put the bottle down and problem is solved ... alcoholic - put the bottle down and your problems are just starting."

Addiction runs really strong in my family on multiple sides of the tree, there are Irish and German sides. A lot of people in my family are functional alcoholics, others not so functional. I made a choice early on to limit my alcohol consumption knowing I can get addicted to things easily. I force myself to do the "one and done" thing when drinking. I will have a beer with dinner out sometimes or a beer when hanging out with friends at one of their houses. But one and only one. I have gotten drunk a couple times and did not like the feeling at all. I have had friends label me as boring for doing so, but they are the same ones always wondering how I can afford toys when they spend $3-400 a week going out drinking.

Also having Irish grandparents, the joke of learning how to mix drinks early was very true. I got in trouble in 1st grade of Catholic school when the teacher held up a picture of a screwdriver and I argued that a screwdriver was vodka and OJ. My mom had to explain to the teacher and principal that my grandparents had a party and I was the bartender.

Last edited:

People have a different tolerance to pain. It's also standard advice to tell patients to use as needed. I've gotten perocets and vicodins after surgery also. I used them as needed. Once it wasn't painful, I stopped using them. Still have a small supply of them. Can't put all the blame on the docs when it's the patients who takes them.

I agree that pain treatment meds have their place. I agree that personal responsibility in King. But should not better caution be taken, given the highly addictive nature?

I asked for nothing, and complained of no pain once treated. It was just "Oh, and here are your narcotics sir."

There should at least be some sort of qualifier (as there is now) to dishing these things out.

I understand this being done for surgery or serious injuries to where it's one of those "You have no idea what's about to happen" situations, and they don't want to send you home just to wake up later in pure agony after your in-patient meds wear off.

I agree that pain treatment meds have their place. I agree that personal responsibility in King. But should not better caution be taken, given the highly addictive nature?

I asked for nothing, and complained of no pain once treated. It was just "Oh, and here are your narcotics sir."

There should at least be some sort of qualifier (as there is now) to dishing these things out.

I understand this being done for surgery or serious injuries to where it's one of those "You have no idea what's about to happen" situations, and they don't want to send you home just to wake up later in pure agony after your in-patient meds wear off.

Well they don't give you that many of them. I might have only gotten a 4 day or 10 day supply. Only used them for a couple days so I had some left over. It'd be worse if you used them all and needed more. Some make you go back to the doctor which is tough to do while you're in pain.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I got in trouble in 1st grade of Catholic school when the teacher held up a picture of a screwdriver and I argued that a screwdriver was vodka and OJ.

Haha AWESOME!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back