About a tranny filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 700r4 tranny. It has a in the pan filter thats a pain to change(stupid cross member in the way). I suck out 3 1/2 qts of fluid every 10,000 miles. How long can I go before changing that filter and be safe. Well it clog in 50,000miles or 100,00 ?? Any info is great.

As long as the fluid is kept clean the pan filter will last just about as long as the transmission is. I put drain plugs in all the pans that don't have them and change the fluid in the pan every 10-25K depending on the application. I never change the filter in the pan unless I pull the pan for some other reason. I did put spin-on filter on some of the more severe duty automatics, and I change them every 6 months usually.

The factory filters are quite poor and are only designed to keep large chunks of crud, like bits of clutch material, from going into the pump and hurting the pump gears. Many filters are nothing more than a fine metal mesh, some of the better ones have a course felt-like material. They are usually in the 100micron nominal rang. Many do not even filter that fine, so they last a long time.

You think changing a filter is hard? Try changing out a pump in the tranny that burned up because it was starved of fluid due to a plugged filter. Just some food for thought.

Quote:

You think changing a filter is hard? Try changing out a pump in the tranny that burned up because it was starved of fluid due to a plugged filter. Just some food for thought.

By the time the filter gets that clogged the trans is screwed anyways.

Look up the specs for the trans filters. They are such a lousy filter they will NEVER get clogged unless there is already a failure in process or the ATF has never been changes. As Alan says, if the filter is plugged it's too late. I have 4 automatics in the "family" fleet right now with over 210K miles with one 1 internal filter change (at about 15-35K miles when I pulled the pan to install the drain plugs).

At work we change the cartridge filters on our Allisons at about 100-150K miles. Those are much better filters than what automotive automatics have. From the Allsions that I've rebuilt at work, when the filters start actually getting plugged there is no saving the trans. You can flush the fluid, put new filters in and run the unit again and it'll be lucky to make it another 10K miles before the failure process completes.

As I said above, most transmission filters have a micron rating of 100 give or take 25. Now even at 75 microns compare that to lube oil full flow filters at 10-20 microns. Call the engineering department at GM/Allsion, Ford, etc. and ask them about filters. They tell ya that they are their basically as a strainer to keep large pieces out of the pump and valve body, with a few industrial transmission exceptions. There shouldn't be any significant wear materials of any size in a healthy automatic transmission.

I added a big 10-15 micron hydraluic filer inline to the transmission cooler lines of my truck.
After hearing contamination is to blame for around 90% auto trasnmission failures I figured it was cheap insurance.
Plus when I dump my trans fluid it will now be clean enough to dump right in to the fuel.

I have a Permacool remote trans filter on my Montero LTD. This truck doesn't come with a changable filter, just a screen.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back