AAP dumpster diving oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Onug
It is important to remember we don't know any details about the filter with the tear in it. With that much gunk, it was obviously in an abused engine. Not saying it shouldn't have torn, but there's a lot we don't know about the filter.

I did state that I do not know anything about the use of these filters, but the filter with the gunk held up (the "cheap STP S2) with no tears.
The Pure One had a massive failure, all while the media was not that dirty.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
Originally Posted By: Crispysea
Nice work. My local AAP has a Fram PH10600 on their oil tank. Someone actually put an OCOD in their Audi!
eek.gif

What is wrong with the Orange Can Fram? I would use it any day over a tearolator.

+1 - I'd use the Oil Can Of Delight , any day over the Purolator.

I too will use a Fram PH2 over Purolator L24651, PL24651 and Motorcraft FL-820S. The eCores also exceed the quality and reliability of these 3 disgusting filters.

Thanks for the informative cut & post.

Thanks for the cut and post.

Hard to judge what's happening with some of those filters.

The STP S2 has probably been in bypass for a couple of years.

Be interesting to find the mileage on the old style PureOne.

The new and improved red Purolator 10241 looked great. Clearly a good entry level filter.

As an auto parts store employee I have access to used filters. What's the fastest, easiest, and cleanest way to cut these guys open?

Last edited:
Thanks for the work. Of course, it's interesting to note that only on BITOG is this considered acceptable, or even lauded, behaviour. People dumpster dive for bottles for deposit, for food, and other goodies, but we do it for an educational purpose!
wink.gif

Great pictures, and thanks again!

Originally Posted By: dogememe
As an auto parts store employee I have access to used filters. What's the fastest, easiest, and cleanest way to cut these guys open?

This cutter works very well and causes no internal damage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005S39PW...&ref=plSrch

Even though you would miss the opportunity to capture the details of the oil change, the method would show the reality of which filters do the best.

I believe this would pinpoint the worst of the worst.

Thanks for the cut & post.

The Longacre posted above is a great tool and makes opening filters easy. I have a cheaper tool I got off e-bay that works pretty well, but does not do really small filters (I had issues with the small STP XL filter with my cutter).
A dremel or hacksaw will work as well, but leaves a lot of cut metal in the filter media, so hard to tell if some metal is from the engine or cutting it open. I have tried exhaust cutters, but they just end up crushing the can after then blades start to cut through.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
This is why I went back to strictly OEM filters on my Tacoma, no problems ever. Seen a lot of scary stuff posted on aftermarket filters since I joined this site.
DENSO Best choice, well made,torque stop assures proper tightness and the quality control never varies. Been using and cutting them open for decades and haven't ever seen a bad one. Good choice jongles.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

The Longacre posted above is a great tool and makes opening filters easy. I have a cheaper tool I got off e-bay that works pretty well, but does not do really small filters (I had issues with the small STP XL filter with my cutter).
A dremel or hacksaw will work as well, but leaves a lot of cut metal in the filter media, so hard to tell if some metal is from the engine or cutting it open. I have tried exhaust cutters, but they just end up crushing the can after then blades start to cut through.

Didn't wanna spend $60. Saw the $30 on eBay and might try it. Other priorities right now but it would be a handy thing to have around.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Didn't wanna spend $60. Saw the $30 on eBay and might try it. Other priorities right now but it would be a handy thing to have around.

I saw this on a post. Take a chisel and hammer to just below the crimp. Go all the way around, then just use some pliers to bend back the folded in metal. Super easy, takes all of maybe 5-10 minutes. I just did it last night and can attest to it working just fine,

Last edited:
Nowhere near so on the ball as you filter guys.I have used STP 2807As for ages on the BMWs. Never any indication of a trouble. I 'm going to let Valvoline change the oil in the Camry. STP and house brands before it. I never opened one, no need.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Nowhere near so on the ball as you filter guys.I have used STP 2807As for ages on the BMWs. Never any indication of a trouble. I 'm going to let Valvoline change the oil in the Camry. STP and house brands before it. I never opened one, no need.
grin2.gif

I was shocked when I cut my first MC FL820S. It was torn. I had no feedback from the engine or any other indication there may be a problem. This is why I cut and inspect not only the filter but what is trapped in the filter. I believe this is a good indication of what may be happening in the engine without having to pull a valve cover.

Ordered that filter cutter off Amazon. Just took off a Motorcraft fl820s that was on my 99 Crown Vic with O'Reilly full synthetic 5w-30 for a bit under 5k miles. Excited for tool to show up so I can see if the filter is torn inside!

Last edited:
Do parts stores just give you old oil filters if you ask for them? It's a weird question so I'd rather ask it here before going there if anyone knows from experience.

When I dropped off the old oil for recycle, I just grabbed a few out of the container (I go in the back and dump it in their big container, I reuse my oil jugs, the Mobil Jugs have a bigger opening that I like). Did not even think to ask, but guess technically I should have.

Just say you are doing an online automotive education project and need to dissect a few filters for it. I am sure they would give them to you.

I am stuck in mid-2000s BITOG land. When I stopped paying attention, because I thought I learned enough, Purolator Pure1, Wix and basically any Champion filter was the way to go. And we were all afraid of Ecore filters.

Looks like things changed big league.

How many people buy (2) filters at a time, cut one open first, then if acceptable construction, etc, etc, put the other one on their car ? Your favorite filter could change w/o people knowing as companies make changes for increased production, lower cost, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back