A3/B4 or A3/B3 HTHS question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just walked through Castrol Syntec product data sheet.
It reads Castrol Syntec 0w-30 meets A3/B3/B4 spec, but in the following data HTHS only reads 2.9. All syntec series only 5w-50 reads 3.9 higher than 3.5, others all lower than 3.5.

Back to the list of specs met, 0w-30 (GC), 5w-40, 10w-40, 20w-50 ALL meet A3/B3/B4, why HTHS lower than 3.5??

Often times published data is merely the minimum or maximum allowances for a specific grade. In this case, the minimum HT/HS viscosity for a xW30 is printed at 2.9 cP's. However, I don't believe this is factually representative of the Syntec 0W30 that carries the ACEA ratings and builder approvals listed.

Regard it as a publishing faux pa.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Often times published data is merely the minimum or maximum allowances for a specific grade. In this case, the minimum HT/HS viscosity for a xW30 is printed at 2.9 cP's. However, I don't believe this is factually representative of the Syntec 0W30 that carries the ACEA ratings and builder approvals listed.

^ This.

Note the row name on the PDS: "HT /HS Viscosity, cP min".
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: FowVay

^ This.

Note the row name on the PDS: "HT /HS Viscosity, cP min".
wink.gif

That is to say, HTHS for GC 0W-30 should be higher than 3.5, right?
By the way, do you have latest GC 0w-30 bottle picture? I found some in our market, but slightly different than the version in this website. Maybe the picture here is a bit out of date. Of course, the one I sourced in China was marked "made in German"

Originally Posted By: OilJabber
That is to say, HTHS for GC 0W-30 should be higher than 3.5, right?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: OilJabber
By the way, do you have latest GC 0w-30 bottle picture? I found some in our market, but slightly different than the version in this website. Maybe the picture here is a bit out of date. Of course, the one I sourced in China was marked "made in German"

No, sorry.

I agree that Castrol is likely only publishing 2.9 based on the min spec. Even their straight weight HD30 is listed at 2.9. 3.8 would be more normal for something like that (for HD30).

Hi,
OilJabber - Welcome!

I am aware of the variable quality of lubricants available in China. Grp 1 and Grp 2 abound. It will be wise to stay with known Brands in the meantime as Grp 3 and Grp 4 are rapidly introduced - Sinopec (Great Wall - EoM)is a leader in this I believe

The minimum HTHS viscosity for ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 lubricants is 3.5cP

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
OilJabber - Welcome!

I am aware of the variable quality of lubricants available in China. Grp 1 and Grp 2 abound. It will be wise to stay with known Brands in the meantime as Grp 3 and Grp 4 are rapidly introduced - Sinopec (Great Wall - EoM)is a leader in this I believe

The minimum HTHS viscosity for ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 lubricants is 3.5cP

cool.gif
You know a lot about China domestic oil brand. I totally not believe in the addictives they put in the base oil... Also, the OEM factory filled oil is called syn, but actually goup 2... That's why here we'd prefer to use Euro branded oil, like Fucsh, Total, Motul, Elf, etc. Maybe US branded oil also famous, but so widely welcomed for all brands maybe means not so suitable for them.
An advise for you,
blush.gif
Never believe in any product by SINOPEC, it's not a quality product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back