Castrol Syntec 0W30 Red Label GC vs. Red Label USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the US-made Red Label is without question old, pre-GC stock. You can tell, even without the batch number, from the lack of the "BP Group" logo, which appears on the GC bottle, just below and slightly to the right of the "Castrol North America" blurb which is in the lower left corner of the rear label. I believe it was in '03 (maybe '04) that BP absorbed Castrol, and at that point, their logo went onto the bottles. It's on all of them now, so if the fabled post-GC US-made Red Label really exists, I would expect to see an M05xxx (or very late M04xxx) batch number, AND the BP Group logo on the back too. So far, I've seen no such stock in the 15 or so AZs that I have occasion to visit from time to time.

quote:

Originally posted by zoomzoom:
Originally posted by crheinish:
[QB] OK I just purchased 22 more qts of Castrol for $1qt @ AZ. 12 are GC and 10 are USA. Of the USA I bought red and yellow label. Here are the pics:

Are you saying that thay have GC at AZ for $1 per quart?!!
Yes
 -

AZ goes by bar codes, which are apparently the same for all Castrol 0W-30. It looks like they are clearing it out in the Desert SW and Calif. Too bad, but it must not sell.

I think the $3.99 is the best we'll see here in the East on sale.

I have no application for the USA stuff, even at $1. A1 and SL only.
shocked.gif
Pea water.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

shocked.gif
Pea water.

I called several AZ's in/near Nashville, all have it all full price. 2 guys thought I was nuts to even think that Syntec would EVER be $1.00 qt!

Is the Red-label stuff THAT BAD?

If there ever is any U.S.A. made 0W30 with the ACEA:A3/B3 B4 rating, do you think it will be the exact same as the German made?

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

shocked.gif
Pea water.

I called several AZ's in/near Nashville, all have it all full price. 2 guys thought I was nuts to even think that Syntec would EVER be $1.00 qt!

Is the Red-label stuff THAT BAD?

It went off sale 2/12 at 3.99 a quart. AZ employees don't know. It scans at full price $5.19 and then shows a discount when the electronic register rings it up. Asking get's you nowhere.

Is it that bad? No, might be ok in extreme cold or an engine that specs. 5W-20, but it has no Ford or Honda specs. It's just that it's a totally different oil from GC. No A3/B3, low HT/HS, not for extended drains A1.

Hopefully I can put this to rest...the Elves have NOT offered their formula to anyone anywhere (including the good old US of A). IF you should see a US made version of Castrol with A3..BMW...etc specs, it will be Castrol's best shot at the Elixer-----BUT-----it will still be lacking the heart of what makes GC GC...there will be NO Elfen magic...and without that, well its back to Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum or Redline or Amsoil or.....

quote:

Originally posted by 74 Laguna:
Does anyone know why the GC is the only one of the three that is not energy conserving?

Because no A3 rated oil is "energy conserving"...you choose...protection or fuel consumption....

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

quote:

Originally posted by 74 Laguna:
Does anyone know why the GC is the only one of the three that is not energy conserving?

Because no A3 rated oil is "energy conserving"...you choose...protection or fuel consumption....

Mobil 1 0W-40 is the only one I know creative enough to get around this and get A3 and Starburst both. Of course, it doesn't behave like a true 40wt. it's entire life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back