A Target near me closed down due to a fire

I heard about it in the news, as there was a fire, which is apparently suspected as arson to cover up a theft. Supposedly caused massive amounts of damage when the sprinklers went off and got a lot of merchandise all wet. They claim it's going to open in a few weeks although I'm not sure why it would take that long. Not sure where it was though in the store. This is a two story setup and only the ground floor was affected.

I drove by there tonight out of more or less morbid curiosity, and I wasn't the only one driving in. Not sure who else driving in knew it was closed (there were quite a few) but I saw at least someone who got out of a car to take pictures. The lights were clearly on and there were no signs of any kind of damage. They set up their carts lining up against the doors and I couldn't see anyone inside working. They signs apologizing for being closed, but otherwise didn't explain what happened. A lot of it was put on police barriers, but they weren't exactly set up to keep anyone out.

This is just kind of weird. There are other Targets in my area, but this is the only large one in a neighborhood where I feel comfortable. The one on the Oakland-Emeryville border is kind of far away, and Richmond, California has a certain reputation although the Target isn't that deep into the really depressing part of town. There's another one that's really small (took over a former supermarket) and doesn't necessarily have everything one would expect at Target, as well as a Target Express. There really are no other discount department stores around here for another few miles.

I’ve never been to that one - I frequented the two Oakland ones as well as Pinole.

Man, if Target had a better automotive section, I’d drop Walmart in a heartbeat.
Target is the only place I've ever seen Mobil 5000 (Mobil Super?) for sale.

They can barely fill up one aisle with automotive...

A few weeks seems pretty short time to me. They have to have crews go in and clean up any mess and damage. Repairs will have to be made. The store will need restocking.

Getting that all done during these times will likely take longer.

Any time the overhead sprinklers come on it's a nightmare to clean up.

We have a high rise apartment building behind us and someone on the top floor took a mattress out into the stairwell and leaned it up against the wall, problem was it was also right next to an electric heater. Sprinklers came an ruined the hole interior with water. It took them months to get it cleaned up.

Do we really think the typical Target shopper demographic is going there for automotive items? Frankly, I'm shocked they have as much as they have.
They are a higher end Walmart type of store that costs a little more and has slightly nicer stuff, primarily better clothes....

I'm surprised more people dont buy more car stuff?

Point noted about demand.

Do we really think the typical Target shopper demographic is going there for automotive items? Frankly, I'm shocked they have as much as they have.

They cater to the "Gotta pick up a quart to top off the car/mower" crowd.
Too bad, because they had a really nice automotive section, along with several hard good departments back in the day.
It is unfortunate what Target has become.

I'm old enough to remember buying oil and air filters at Target...

That being said, I am definitely not in the camp of thinking its unfortunate what Target has become... They seem to be doing just fine for themselves on their own path.

Literally the only reason I step foot in a Wal-mart is to buy oil. Different shopping needs for everyone I guess...

I'm old enough to remember buying oil and air filters at Target...

That being said, I am definitely not in the camp of thinking its unfortunate what Target has become... They seem to be doing just fine for themselves on their own path.

Literally the only reason I step foot in a Wal-mart is to buy oil. Different shopping needs for everyone I guess...
Walmart, the everyday prices are lower than "SALE" prices at other stores

You can get an oil filter for about $3 which is probably made by Champion Labs or at least used to be. They are no longer black, the oil filter aisle is sometimes really well picked over for a certain size, one or two stolen via box swapping magic, but still rated for 10,000 miles... I get that some dont like Walmart, but, it's a very awesome place for when you need to go to a store.

Target doesn't want everyone who shops at Walmart to consider going to their store instead. They really don't.
I'm okay with that. The "talent" I see walking around at Target is much better than Wal*Mart. After all, is there a People of Target website?

Apparently there is a People of Target Facebook group. You can find photo gems like this:

1642090317386.jpg

Seems fit with the stereotype of the average Target shopper :)

I’ve never been to that one - I frequented the two Oakland ones as well as Pinole.

Man, if Target had a better automotive section, I’d drop Walmart in a heartbeat.
As much as I dont like walmart, Target just isnt worth paying more for the same item unless its convenient. That said, we did get a converted supermarket turned to Target that is OK, and the workers there are helpful. Some of the things they sell are better quality.. but for clothes and whatnot I wouldnt shop at Walmart or Target.

Exactly. They are targeting affluent women who want to appear woke but wouldnt set foot in a walmart with the "unwashed masses".
Target doesn't want everyone who shops at Walmart to consider going to their store instead. They really don't.
Agreed. The issue to me is that Walmart doesnt staff properly to get the "unwashed masses" through in an expedited manner, or clean up after them. There's no implied snootiness like Target has to appeal to certain shoppers. WM is just a crowded mess that I cant stand to go through unless its the middle of the night, or during a storm or something. But at least WM has a lot of different options in many departments.

As much as I dont like walmart, Target just isnt worth paying more for the same item unless its convenient. That said, we did get a converted supermarket turned to Target that is OK, and the workers there are helpful. Some of the things they sell are better quality.. but for clothes and whatnot I wouldnt shop at Walmart or Target.

Exactly. They are targeting affluent women who want to appear woke but wouldnt set foot in a walmart with the "unwashed masses".

Agreed. The issue to me is that Walmart doesnt staff properly to get the "unwashed masses" through in an expedited manner, or clean up after them. There's no implied snootiness like Target has to appeal to certain shoppers. WM is just a crowded mess that I cant stand to go through unless its the middle of the night, or during a storm or something. But at least WM has a lot of different options in many departments.
Exactly like Sam's Club vs. Costco! Costco people are "too good" for Sam's, much less WM...

Exactly like Sam's Club vs. Costco! Costco people are "too good" for Sam's, much less WM...

Ive heard that situation too. We have a costco around the corner, I dont even know where Sam's is. BJs is far. Id have thought the clubs would be based more on convenience for heavy shoppers?

To me, Walmart is just a step above the dollar store - just slightly more helpful. It just seems like a mishmash between Dollar Tree/99 Cents Only and 7-Eleven. Minus Slurpees, donuts and coffee.

Ive heard that situation too. We have a costco around the corner, I dont even know where Sam's is. BJs is far. Id have thought the clubs would be based more on convenience for heavy shoppers?
Irony, this.

I avoid because the parking lots make it more inconvenient than Walmart. They really do. (Busy to Nth degree, vs manageable)

To me, Walmart is just a step above the dollar store - just slightly more helpful. It just seems like a mishmash between Dollar Tree/99 Cents Only and 7-Eleven. Minus Slurpees, donuts and coffee.

Any savings just isn't worth the shopping experience at Walmart. Some of the rural ones that aren't as busy might not be bad, but anywhere near an urban center is a complete nightmare.

Back