A Rant About Working Families...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... in particular families that all work at the same company at the same time. That was my family, and one other I'll get to in a minute. I grew up working for my dad, with my mom and sister doing the same tasks I did, running bull dozers, loading semi trucks with front end loaders, and climbing high up without PPE to maintain a topsoil screen plant. I started there when I was around 13 or 14. I was the smallest, so that meant I was climbing in between gears and conveyors to replace parts. I did not have any safety glasses or steel toe boots. Once I fell a conveyor, hurting both my knees, which still persist today. I couldn't imagine being my mom or sister, hating grubby work, and forced to work, to not be kicked out of the house. I hated it myself, and I still consider myself a lucky to not have lived 100 years ago being 8 years old working in a coal mine, I still can't get it out of my head.

On to this other family (the reason why I'm typing this) of whom I never met, they work for the same company I work for, and yes they too had the entire family working. One of which was a 19 year old daughter. Of the news I heard, so was doing her job properly when she slipped of the back of a pick up truck and fell on the back of her head on the concrete. She is expected to make it through the surgery, but not expected to live through Christmas. It was a freak accident, and it must be horrible loosing a child. and I write this because she was about the same age as me, and that is what took me. In high school, we lost 5 kids, I didn't know them, but it was harder, and felt personal knowing they were the same age as me.

This is a pure Rant, I have many arguments which would have prevented this accident, and many arguments which would have saved my knees, my moms back, and my sister's college and career which was ruined due to my dad's expectations. I know a few more families who lived their lives that way, and all of them hated each other, and regretted their lives. So what do you guys think, if you had a family, would you like everyone working close together? And If you did live in this fashion, what did you think of it?

(now for the families I know, everyone worked according to season and weather, it simply wasnt a 9-5 office job, and there certainly wasn't any "order" involved, it was all in the field working)

Unless Saddam Hussein was at the helm of my family, it wouldn't work. We're mildly dysfunctional as is; if we had to work together, it would probably end up with everyone killing each other or running away! There's no way my Dad and I could work together; we can barely coordinate changing a light bulb without getting at each other.

I worked for my dad for 6 years while in college and after. He didn't have any unrealistic expectations (in fact, I exceeded his expectations early on, resulting in a $5/hour retroactive raise). It was a white collar job in the safety field, so I was not expected to do anything unsafe and he treated me well. I am still in the same field, but for a Fortune 500 (probably 200) company and am doing exceptional due to the chance my dad gave me and the experience I garnered while working for him. He also instilled in me a work ethic I did not have previously, which has definitely helped me get where I am today. Not sure I could work with my wife or sisters though.

I never worked at the same places my father did, but we both had 1 problem. The various people we had to work for would often be dishonest scum, and in the same business sector, all the other employers were dishonest scum. If dad and I were working together, we would both be more miserable, knowing that we had to take part in some fraudulent business just so we can make enough money to survive. I feel like every time we would talk to each other, we would only be telling stories of safety equipment that didn't work, unfair charges to the customer, and salesmen that got huge commissions selling junk like oil additives that don't actually work.

I hate so many things about the auto repair business that I'm half glad I got sidelined due to certain diseases.

My father was an electrician. He eventually got to work at better jobs.

My inlaws have family business, but they work together on limited basis. All get along great including 30+ year marriage. But they don't work close together all the time.

My biggest issue is the comment of ppe. Nothing can prevent freak accidents from causing damage, but just avoiding the use of ppe is just downright stupid.

79- Very sorry to hear of this accident.

Not using the appropriate PPE in most work places results in instant termination. It does where I work.

Your issue seems like you lacked outsiders to mention the emperor wore no clothes.

Look up the corporate history of "Crazy Eddies" electronics-- they were crooked like a $3 bill and had one big family running the show as managers or other positions that counted money. Eventually it imploded.

I would worry about applying into a business that already had half a dozen family members working there. If times got tough, would I be laid off regardless of my competence? Would the office/ family politics be something I could cope with?

Sorry to hear, that plain stinks.

We worked for dad doing jobs around the house and yard, not for hire so I can't comment there; however

Sounds like safety needs to be made a priority, and this girl and her family should receive some sort of death benefit.

Has OSHA been notified? Although they are misguided, this is one place they are badly needed.

Originally Posted By: John_K
My family would kill each other.

John

You aren't kidding.
I've got my 2 younger brothers,my younger sister and my dad part of the entity we call our construction company. All alpha personalities,all extremely bullheaded and stubborn. The blow ups are epic but when the going gets tough we pull together and get er done.
I've worked with my dad on and off for 20+ years so I've learned to pick my battles,my younger siblings however still think they can win,so they argue often.
Its a struggle at times but isn't everything

Glad I sold my landscaping biz years ago, my wife hated it...but she only did the office work. My son is almost to the age where I would be dragging him out on the truck and making him sweat all day. Sure he would have hated me for life over that.

Maybe Im still green to the business world, but seems like a very odd company you work for.

My dad and I work at the same place at my one job. I'm in the warehouse and he's in IT. 2 separate buildings even. We cross paths occasionally and just say sarcastic things to each other. And call each other by our last names. There was only one time we had a disagreement at work. The boss gave me a job. It wasn't the most ideal solution, but I got it done. My dad called me out on it saying how much of a bad idea it was. I just laughed and said sorry dad.. you have no power here. (Lord of the Rings reference.) It was never brought up again. We get along quite well so there wasn't any hard feelings.

A family working together and working in dangerous conditions without safety equipment (or procedures) are two separate things. I grew up on a large farm with my brother. We learned how to earn our money at a young age, and my dad was a stickler about being safe. He had zero tolerance for anyone that cut corners around machinery.

I also worked with my wife for 6 years...rode in the same car, worked on many of the same projects. Guess we get along well.
smile.gif

I'm not sure of the point the original poster was trying to make. Are you asking about the viability of families working in a family business?

If so, then yes, with intelligent people it works well. Our family farmed while I was growing up. Even as a kid I worked around farm equipment (safely, I might add). At 6 or 7 I used an Allis Chalmers G to cultivate and would spend hours on it. By 10 I was comfortable using an Allis Chalmers WD to disc and drag fields. As a family we all pitched in, did what was needed, did it safely and were fairly prosperous.

Even to this day my wife and I have a small "warm weather" side business that we run together, along with our other ventures. So yes, families can work together.

Think family farm, hoeing corn fields at age 5-6 from sun up to sun set along with milking cows and hooking up the horses. You learn a lot of stuff; becoming a warrior was an easier life in some respects.

Family is hard. YMMV

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
Of the news I heard, so was doing her job properly when she slipped of the back of a pick up truck and fell on the back of her head on the concrete. She is expected to make it through the surgery, but not expected to live through Christmas. It was a freak accident

This is a pure Rant, I have many arguments which would have prevented this accident, and many arguments which would have saved my knees, my moms back, and my sister's college and career which was ruined due to my dad's expectations. I know a few more families who lived their lives that way, and all of them hated each other, and regretted their lives. So what do you guys think, if you had a family, would you like everyone working close together? And If you did live in this fashion, what did you think of it?

As you said, this was a freak accident. Slipping, falling, and hitting your head is not limited to teenagers, families working in close proximity, or those working blue collar jobs.

In college, a friend's mother died after she walked home in the snow, slipped on some ice 15 feet from her front door, hit her head, and froze to death. The next door neighbor found her while he was shoveling snow the next morning.

Karma, God's plan, fate, bad luck... whatever it is, sometimes bad things happen to good people.

I think you have two separate rants here. One is about working a lousy job with/for lousy people, and the other is about how unfair death is.

I just got a call from my manager this morning, she died this morning on Christmas Eve.

I understand things like this are more common than you think, but its a tragedy for the co workers and the family. Just sad.

Merry Christmas everyone

I'm not sure the point the OP was going for but this poor girl sounds like the victim of a freak accident.

I worked in the family business as far back as I can remember, when I got older I branched out on my own and never regretted it. We fight all the time, but such is life.

My family is like Game of Thrones, except were not trying to kill each other. Each branch wants to be on top, and have no problem screwing each other financially to get their. My first lesson in business was to learn how to cover myself to not get screwed over.

I lost count of the number of times I'll be bidding on a parcel only to find its a relative I'm bidding against. Than its a big FU I'll run the price up to make you pay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back