A question about transmission fluid maintenance

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
A little background: in February of 2021, I had the trans in my 2011 Camry drained and flushed and a new filter was installed. The trans was refilled with Toyota WS fluid. At the time, the car had about 80,000 miles on it and had recently been purchased by me.

Going forward, I'd like to keep the fluid in good condition and was thinking that every year or so, depending on miles driven, I'd do a drain and fill ... just opening the drain plug and refill the trans with an amount equal to what was drained, thereby replenishing the fluid. I think doing that will give me about 3 or 4 quarts of fresh fluid. When the 1 year anniversary of the flush comes around I'd estimate that there'd be between 5,000 - 6,000 miles on the fluid.

I'd be interested in any thoughts on this idea. Thanks!

It is probably more than necessary. for what its worth when i jack the front end of our camry and drain i usually get about 2-3 quarts if i remember correctly. I wouldnt call it the most efficient thing but its a very good way to keep it fresh.

Nothing wrong with that. You can change the ATF as much as you want because it is so easy :)

However, it isn't necessary. A single drain every 30-60k is sufficient. Most people never change the fluid, and the cars end up going to the junkyard on the factory fill.

Draining it once every 3-5 years will give you the benefit of making you happy you're doing more than the minimum but without wasting fluid on excessive fluid changes.

We have a 2017 Rav 4 and I have been doing a drain and fill every 25,000 miles. I only get about 2 1/2 quarts on a cold drain. I add back a little more than I get out them do the the fluid level check using the temperature method.

I did a drain and fill on my 2006 Toyota Corolla twice last year. By driving up onto Rhino ramps I was able to drain exactly 4 quarts of the 7.7 quarts capacity. The car had 96,000 miles at the time on the original Toyota T-IV fluid. After the second drain and fill the car has 77% new fluid. I used Castrol TRANSMAX Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid.

There was nothing wrong with the car before but now I should be all set for maybe another 60,000 miles.

Diminishing return doing it too often. Every 25 - 30k miles with a new filter and clean magnets. Aisin trans are very good. Trans fluid is not motor oil and doesn't need to be changed as often. 5 - 6k miles D/R surely won't hurt, but doubtful it'll help much. Many people here have great success with Maxlife. I have an 03' Matrix using Castrol Import MV for the last 25k miles and no problems at all.

After reading all the responses, I've decided to extend the time/mileage past once a year and 5K or so miles. Thanks for all the input.

So the volume doesn't change. If you drain hot and measure hot, and put the same amount of cold fluid in, you will be putting in more.

You can drain a gallon hot and watch it shrink as it cools.
Ah, yeah. I've actually heard that before but for some reason it wasn't clicking when I read your comment.

Back