A question about transmission fluid maintenance

An inspection of the maintenance schedule of many Toyota vehicles reveals that there is a 100,000 km (60,000 miles) replacement interval if the vehicle is used on short trips, city driving, hauling heavy loads, trailer towing, or using a car-top hauler. Check your own maintenance schedule for your vehicle's requirements.

My maintenance manual states that transmission fluid should be changed at 60,000 miles for severe use, and if I recall correctly, it also says fluid should be inspected every 30,000 miles, although I may be confusing that point with a different situation.

That seems very typical, but some do claim "lifetime" which is nonsense. I'm taking a more assertive stance, given the high value and importance of a transmission, and with the Mityvac or drain plug working well on most of my vehicles, and the extremely low cost of transmission fluid, of doing it more frequent than recommended.

My maintenance manual states that transmission fluid should be changed at 60,000 miles for severe use, and if I recall correctly, it also says fluid should be inspected every 30,000 miles, although I may be confusing that point with a different situation.
May I ask what an inspection entails? What parameters are there for a pass/fail?
Shel, if you can answer this, my hat is off to you. So I just prefer to follow Asin over my Lexus owner's manual. Which I suspect was written by marketeers...
All good.

Toyota has periodically revised their transmission maintenance interval for 2nd Gen Tacoma’s (Aisin 750E/F) from “lifetime” to 100k, to 80k, and 60k for “severe service.”

I just pull a return line and cycle out all ~14 quarts every 60k. Takes 20/30minutes.

Toyota has periodically revised their transmission maintenance interval for 2nd Gen Tacoma’s (Aisin 750E/F) from “lifetime” to 100k, to 80k, and 60k for “severe service.”

I just pull a return line and cycle out all ~14 quarts every 60k. Takes 20/30minutes.
BINGO!

May I ask what an inspection entails? What parameters are there for a pass/fail?
Shel, if you can answer this, my hat is off to you. So I just prefer to follow Asin over my Lexus owner's manual. Which I suspect was written by marketeers...
All good.
Well, you can keep your hat on. I've not yet looked into what an inspection entails, nor what is looked for. I know a guy who would probably know. I'll try to track him down and see what he has to say.

Back