A Nice Encounter

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Earlier today I stopped at the local produce market and grabbed a few items. I got into the checkout line, the items were rung up, and I swiped my card into the machine by the register. REJECTED! So, I tried it again, and again it was rejected. I checked the balance on the card and there were ample funds to cover the transaction. The manager came by and she went through the routine, and again the card was rejected. No big deal, these things happen, and I was about to grab a different card to complete the transaction when the cashier says, "Oh, don't worry, the payment's been covered."

I protested and said I've got it covered, and a brief back and forth ensued, at which point another person in line (perhaps anxious to get things moving) said, "Take it, it's a gift", and so I did. I noticed a woman in the next line took some change from the transaction, and I stopped her before she left, trying to find out if she paid. Yes, it was she, and yes, she refused payment from me. She said that a few times she was in a similar situation and someone helped her, and the was just paying it forward.

When I left I remembered the times I'd done something similar, and how happy the recipient of my gift was. And I recalled how good it made me feel having done that thing. I only hope the woman who paid for my produce today felt as good as I did when I helped someone. Win-Win all around.

PS: I used the card in another store a while later and it worked just fine.

And some claim you must have a certain "Ideology" to have "morals". People can do good things to others without intervention. Humanity is what drives our social expriences & these interaction's are not small. Small in time but big on outcomes. We are happy you share your story.

I'm the type that looks at people on how they treat me & others. I take their words for face value most of the time. There are people out there that are great but some will doom you to ****!

I had my card rejected at the grocery store a couple years ago, after numerous attempts. Busy day as well, before a holiday and a pretty good line behind.

Pretty soon, 2nd lady back told the cashier just to add my bill to hers. Very generous. My bill was about $60. Just use my card for the cash back.

I said thank you very much, pulled out a $100 bill and paid. There are still some very nice people on this world.

I had a gas station reject my credit card for a fuel purchase in France. I paid my bill with cash and used that credit card at another location within minutes. I successfully purchased fuel with the same credit card at the same station a few days later.

Since then we carry 2 different credit cards.

Having a credit card rejected could lead to problems if you had no other way to pay.

I had a gas station reject my credit card for a fuel purchase in France. I paid my bill with cash and used that credit card at another location within minutes. I successfully purchased fuel with the same credit card at the same station a few days later.

Having a credit card rejected could lead to problems if you had no other way to pay.
I always keep $300-$400 in my wallet, just in case. Also have 3 other cards, which I seldom use.

To date my age...I have no debit card! LOL

If I need cash, I write myself a check and cash it at the local bank. Old fashioned to say the least.;)

In addition to cash, in the local currency, I travel with two credit cards.

I’ve had the random “card declined”, and when out of the country, alternatives are limited. I’ve also had a card locked by the bank, for “my protection”, when traveling.

That lock is not really for my protection, it’s for theirs, but it prevents me from being able to get food, which is sort of a big deal.

So, a back up card, and some cash. Always.

I’ve had the random “card declined”, and when out of the country, alternatives are limited. I’ve also had a card locked by the bank, for “my protection”, when traveling.

That lock is not really for my protection, it’s for theirs, but it prevents me from being able to get food, which is sort of a big deal.

My sister worked for VISA many years ago, and advised me to always have a 2nd credit card.

I still haven't taken her advice, but should.

But I do have a bank card, and my wife has a card, so generally I have a back-up.

Agreed. Always.

Back