A new topper for my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had two AREs and did cross-shop with LEER.

My first ARE was the dirt-cheapest model, with a fold-down front window. It fit like a glove, was water tight, and I really like their basic, single-handle mechanism with solid lock rods to both sides. I did not like that the skirt around it did not cover the plastic bed rail covers from toyota. I removed the covers, which had internal 1/2" spacers, and then had to re-trim something around the door to make it fit. Was great after that.

I wanted a topper for my new truck and looked at both. both told me they were better quality than the other. both prices/features were pretty much the same. Cheap LEERs used two-handles to open whereas the ARE uses 1. The single-handle Leer used cables to release the sides, which to me was slighltly more prone to snags or abuse with rough use. So I went with another ARE. THIS time, however, the ARE shipped with a factory scratch, which they gave me $50 off for (peace, cool) but the fiberglass was somehow not square to one of the windows, resulting in much water during every rain. I finally figured it out, and the only solution was clear caulk. If I'd caught it at the dealer, I would have refused it, or negotiated $500 off and they would have backed me (good dealer). The gap was 1/4" behind the trim of the upper left side back sliding window, only verified after completely removing the window myself and reinstalling.

My advice, buy the one by the features you like but insist on inspection before writing the second check. ask them up front how they handle defects. inspect ever single point of assembly.

I would still buy ARE again. Everything I've read is all of these companies are hit-or-miss depending on the day it's made.

Oh - the paint on both AREs has matched perfectly and held up fine.

Has anyone tried one of these canvas tops? There are a couple of different brands, this one is Bestop.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by atikovi
To me it's kinda like mud flaps. Toppers give the vehicle a grampa vibe.

I'm driving a Camry and am well into my 40's. I might as well accept it!

I said grampa, not grandma.
lol.gif

I'm not sure anyone will notice or care if it's grandma or grampa driving. They'll sure notice a Camry with a Topper though !!
shocked2.gif

As per grampa transition, at least 'they' didn't put me in a "Home" thinking I lost my marbles. I went from an Infiniti 6MT coupe (Nissan Z platform) to a station wagon.
Okay, 'wagen' . Got 4 grand-boys 1 thru 9 yrs old and I'm recently 58. The wagen will get wheels and tint soon.

cool.gif

My brother bought a cap when he had an F250. He chose Swiss. Had it custom made to match the truck and opted for LED lights. He bought the cap because he volunteered to haul instruments for his daughters high school band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back