A new Glock 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al, can you expand on this? Being new(er) to handguns, I did not know there was reliability factor with these type of loads..

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: mjk
I just picked up a 100 pack of the white box Winchester for the time being. I am not sure when I am going to be able to get out and shoot it right now. I'm sure I'll eventually have a box of the Hornady Home Defense shells.

I wouldn't do the HD ammo unless it is used by someone that works on SD shooting and put thousands of rounds downstream a year In a critical situations the likelihood of a stovepipe or Fail to feed or fail to eject is much higher for the untrained on even a firearm that has proved itself over 1000+ rounds of the same brand. Even if you meet these criteria than how many rounds of the SD ammo are you gonna run through it?..a dozen?

Personally most should use a revolver..then SD ammo is fine. To each his own.

Al, can you expand on this? Being new(er) to handguns, I did not know there was reliability factor with these type of loads..

I think it's nonsense personally. The critical defense will cycle well in any of the popular models.

Originally Posted By: JDM396

The trigger and the sights are two very important aspects of making hits in a quick succession. I'm not sure of your experience, but hopefully you realize there's a huge spectrum of triggers now, from let's say, Glock to whatever you consider "target." Just because you are fine with it, doesn't mean others will be. Their standards may be different.

Well this is the internet so neither of us knows who is [censored]'ing.

With that in mind I have been shooting pistol for 45 years. I am an NRA instructor (which is really no big deal). I have taken more advanced SD courses at Harrisburg communi9ty college and take a privatge lesson there every month.

I only ever shoot out of a SD position..at least 1000 rounds/month. Starting at 8" from my nose, firearm pointed up at a 60 degree angle with the front sight on thej target pushing out toward the target. The quickness of the shots depends 100% on the time the recoil is over and the second shot can be placed. You can't shoot before that time. The trigger could be pulled 3 times in that time...lol

Of course everyone has different standards but in a SD situation any striker pistol (probably) will accomplish the same result. I must say I did not care for the Ruger LC9S. But if one trained with it in the same way results would be fine. I carry either the 43 or 42. I do have a 26 and all triggers are identical. The 9mm Shield is (in my mind) identical. I don't think I could tell the difference.

So how is training with a firearm 8" from your face considered a SD position? Most people figure you have to draw your weapon first? Do they offer any FOF classes up your way? Might be a HUGE eye opener.

I just picked up a 100 pack of the white box Winchester for the time being. I am not sure when I am going to be able to get out and shoot it right now. I'm sure I'll eventually have a box of the Hornady Home Defense shells.

I wouldn't do the HD ammo unless it is used by someone that works on SD shooting and put thousands of rounds downstream a year In a critical situations the likelihood of a stovepipe or Fail to feed or fail to eject is much higher for the untrained on even a firearm that has proved itself over 1000+ rounds of the same brand. Even if you meet these criteria than how many rounds of the SD ammo are you gonna run through it?..a dozen?

Personally most should use a revolver..then SD ammo is fine. To each his own.

I THINK he's saying you should train with SD loads if you're going to use them. Now the reliability comment is complete [censored], most proven SD loads are extremely reliable compared to run of the mill Winchester Dirty Box.
laugh.gif
Either way, there are several good SD loads out there and in 9mm they are considerably more effective than FMJ loads.

Al said:
I think they are just as reliable. But you should insure your SD load is reliable in your firearm. I doubt that many will do this but I am not alone in my thinking. I have plain old 95 gr. Blazer that I bougt 1000 rounds of the last box after 950 rounds have been sucessfully fired through my pistol. I do what I am comfortablej with.

So how is training with a firearm 8" from your face considered a SD position? Most people figure you have to draw your weapon first? Do they offer any FOF classes up your way? Might be a HUGE eye opener.

You are a little far away..lol My instructor instructs at the Law Enforcement Center at Harrisburg Area Community college. He instructs Local Police trainers and regular cops. The principle is to draw and with one qick motion. Get the front sight on the threat as quickly as possible.....So you are getting into your crouch, pushing the firearm forward and are in a position that when the firearm is forward all the way...your grip is ready, your body is right, and your finger is on the trigger.

So by doing this every time you shoot it guarantees that if the time ever occurrs you have done it thousands of times the same way. I always fire at least 2 in quick sucessioin and then go back to square one. You can practice drawing at home and get into the correct position. I know my instructor is a huge proponent of the "Sheriff of Bagdad" and has trained with him ..so he is not inventing the wheel. I am fortunate bc my PRIVATE 1 hour lesson is only 75 bucks.

I don't claim to be anything special but I am getting good instruction.

If anyone wants to contact him PM me.

Last edited:
Point taken. I'll just break the gun in with the 'dirty rounds'
coffee2.gif
, then move on to the Self Defense rounds.

Al said:
I think they are just as reliable. But you should insure your SD load is reliable in your firearm. I doubt that many will do this but I am not alone in my thinking. I have plain old 95 gr. Blazer that I bougt 1000 rounds of the last box after 950 rounds have been sucessfully fired through my pistol. I do what I am comfortablej with.

Point taken. I'll just break the gun in with the 'dirty rounds'
coffee2.gif
, then move on to the Self Defense rounds.

Just remember though. The first round is almost guaranteed to go bang since its already chambered. There are fewer moving parts in a striker pistol than a revolver...so revolver is less reliable on first shot. So that's why it is so important to send the first round to its intended destination. Its your most important shot. When you train, think that every time.

Last edited:
Almost every single modern QUALITY semi auto that feeds FMJ will feed JHP ammo. Now some old surplus pistols or repops of them that were only designed for FMJ may not, but I find even they will usually feed something like Critical Defense.

I think the only semi autos I have owned that were picky with JHP ammo was a Baellester Molina and an old Erma 380 Baby Luger. But the Erma was also picky with regular FMJ round nose too....it was just a cool looking junky Luber repop in 380.

You are a little far away..lol My instructor instructs at the Law Enforcement Center at Harrisburg Area Community college. He instructs Local Police trainers and regular cops. The principle is to draw and with one qick motion. Get the front sight on the threat as quickly as possible.....So you are getting into your crouch, pushing the firearm forward and are in a position that when the firearm is forward all the way...your grip is ready, your body is right, and your finger is on the trigger.

So by doing this every time you shoot it guarantees that if the time ever occurrs you have done it thousands of times the same way. I always fire at least 2 in quick sucessioin and then go back to square one. You can practice drawing at home and get into the correct position. I know my instructor is a huge proponent of the "Sheriff of Bagdad" and has trained with him ..so he is not inventing the wheel. I am fortunate bc my PRIVATE 1 hour lesson is only 75 bucks.

I don't claim to be anything special but I am getting good instruction.

If anyone wants to contact him PM me.

That's great. If I'm understanding what you're relaying, it's a bit less advanced than what I'm used to. Individuals should start from a draw position, but I understand the "elevator" approach, of pushing the front sight forward. Nothing wrong there. Although most of the guys here teach a cadence in lieu of a "double tap" if that's what you're describing. As I said, a FOF class might help in true SD situations, as it's just not a perfect world where you can start "make ready" to defend yourself.

That's great. If I'm understanding what you're relaying, it's a bit less advanced than what I'm used to. Individuals should start from a draw position, but I understand the "elevator" approach, of pushing the front sight forward. Nothing wrong there. Although most of the guys here teach a cadence in lieu of a "double tap" if that's what you're describing. As I said, a FOF class might help in true SD situations, as it's just not a perfect world where you can start "make ready" to defend yourself.

I think the most important thing..and I know you agree here. We are getting good training. And we practice it so we hopefully do it the same and automatically every time.
cheers3.gif

[/quote]
I think the most important thing..and I know you agree here. We are getting good training. And we practice it so we hopefully do it the same and automatically every time.
cheers3.gif
[/quote]

Training/trigger control is the biggest factor regardless of the manufacturer or the ammo. There are variations in ammo that will affect your shooting. We were training at our range last week and we shot paper targets with our typical duty ammo which is pretty dang consistent. We were also shooting metal targets with frangible ammo that was way different...from aim point to the point of impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back