A new Glock 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Boczech

Great platform, one of the advantages over a G19 is that with a G23 you can swap a 9mm conversion in there OR my favorite, the .357sig. Shoot one and see if you like it.

I hear that a lot. Not many people shoot .357 Sig, but the ones that do love it. I'm one. I got a police trade-in G23 cheap a few years ago. I have the .357 and 9mm barrels, too. I shoot all three, but carry .357. I reload, so .357 is as cheap as 9mm.

Last edited:
I actually bought my first handgun today. I went with the Ruger SR9E. Liked the reviews I read, felt good in my hand. At that price point ($329), I think it is going to be a winner.

Mine is strictly for home defense, as well..

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
I bought a 9MM because i want to practice a lot and not pay a fortune for ammo. Friends that bought 45's or .357 mags stopped shooting because they said the ammo was too expensive.
My 9mm is for home defense and I think it has plenty of stopping power for inside a house with my Hornady critical defense.

I can get all the ammo I want for under $10 a box at Walmart or on on-line.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
Originally Posted By: Boczech

Great platform, one of the advantages over a G19 is that with a G23 you can swap a 9mm conversion in there OR my favorite, the .357sig. Shoot one and see if you like it.
I hear that a lot. Not many people shoot .357 Sig, but the ones that do love it. I'm one. I got a police trade-in G23 cheap a few years ago. I have the .357 and 9mm barrels, too. I shoot all three, but carry .357. I reload, so .357 is as cheap as 9mm.
Right there with you guys. I have all of the most popular calibers--9MM, .357 SIG, .40S&W, & .45ACP. The .357 has become my favorite, as cost effective as a 9MM to reload but with much more performance.

Originally Posted By: mjk
I actually bought my first handgun today. I went with the Ruger SR9E. Liked the reviews I read, felt good in my hand.

Dang I would have steered you to the SD9VE with the rebate going on but the Ruger is fine, except that the mags don't always drop free and have to be stripped.

Did you pick your ammo yet?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I actually bought my first handgun today. I went with the Ruger SR9E. Liked the reviews I read, felt good in my hand.

Dang I would have steered you to the SD9VE with the rebate going on but the Ruger is fine, except that the mags don't always drop free and have to be stripped.

The Ruger also has a FAR superior trigger.

A few years ago the mention of "superior trigger" and "Ruger" in the same sentence woulda made me gag. I understand they have gotten much better lately though. I need to check out some of their new offerings.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
A few years ago the mention of "superior trigger" and "Ruger" in the same sentence woulda made me gag. I understand they have gotten much better lately though. I need to check out some of their new offerings.

No lie there, but SR9 series wasn't half bad, so I'm assuming he's making a relative statement. I used to have a S&W Sigma 9 that was atrocious but with some slight mods you can make it halfway decent. The SD9VE is better but still has a long way to go. They both point really nice and are reliable guns.

I just picked up a 100 pack of the white box Winchester for the time being. I am not sure when I am going to be able to get out and shoot it right now. I'm sure I'll eventually have a box of the Hornady Home Defense shells.

I was on a Ruger forum, and it seems like after the 2nd year of production, they improved the initial trigger issues...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Last edited:
I just picked up a 100 pack of the white box Winchester for the time being.
WWB usually goes bang, but it is incredibly dirty.

There are so many good choices for the 9mm in personal defense ammo, I'll list some of the best off the top of my head.

Federal HST
Hornady Critical defense
Hornady Critical Duty
Corbon DPX
Speer Gold Dots [or other boutique loadings using gold dot bullets.]

You won't want to use the WWB for defense, although it will poke a hole for sure it will not expand and be less effective at transferring energy to a target.

I just picked up a 100 pack of the white box Winchester for the time being. I am not sure when I am going to be able to get out and shoot it right now. I'm sure I'll eventually have a box of the Hornady Home Defense shells.

I wouldn't do the HD ammo unless it is used by someone that works on SD shooting and put thousands of rounds downstream a year In a critical situations the likelihood of a stovepipe or Fail to feed or fail to eject is much higher for the untrained on even a firearm that has proved itself over 1000+ rounds of the same brand. Even if you meet these criteria than how many rounds of the SD ammo are you gonna run through it?..a dozen?

Personally most should use a revolver..then SD ammo is fine. To each his own.

Not sure which ammo he was talking about, since there's no Hornady home defense ammo. There's critical defense which is an excellent choice with mild recoil, low flash powder, and consistent moderate expansion with good penetration.

I have always been a Glock fan and have owned may over the years including the 26. I'm down to just a 34 and 24C. In my opinion the 26/27 platform is outdated. There are many better platforms that are lighter, smaller, and have better triggers.

Originally Posted By: asb151
I have always been a Glock fan and have owned may over the years including the 26. I'm down to just a 34 and 24C. In my opinion the 26/27 platform is outdated. There are many better platforms that are lighter, smaller, and have better triggers.

If it's lighter and smaller than the G26/27, it will have lower capacity. That's the tradeoff. No manufacturer offers the combo of light, compact and high-capacity that Glock has.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

If it's lighter and smaller than the G26/27, it will have lower capacity. That's the tradeoff. No manufacturer offers the combo of light, compact and high-capacity that Glock has.

True, but I've been told right here on this board that high capacity is essentially worthless.
smile.gif

What is lighter than the 26 that holds 10+1 (or more..depending of the mag)?
What is a "better patform"? The trigger is more than fine..as said previously: its a SD firearm not a target pistol..you don't make love to the trigger.

Originally Posted By: Al
asb151 said:
What is a "better patform"? The trigger is more than fine..as said previously: its a SD firearm not a target pistol..you don't make love to the trigger.

The trigger and the sights are two very important aspects of making hits in a quick succession. I'm not sure of your experience, but hopefully you realize there's a huge spectrum of triggers now, from let's say, Glock to whatever you consider "target." Just because you are fine with it, doesn't mean others will be. Their standards may be different.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

True, I admit that the 10 rounds of the Glock is an advantage. But at what cost. When I had the 26 I also had a PM9. I have shot them side by side many times. IMO the PM9 is superior in every aspect. The sight on the PM9 allows for faster target acquisition and even helps with close range point and shoot. The PM9 trigger is lighter and breaks faster for rapid fire but is still safe for concealed carry. It's also my opinion if someone needs more than 7 rounds in a SD gun then they need more range time.

The dimensional and weight differences speak for themselves:

http://www.glockforum.net/forum/attachme...k-9mm-image.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JDM396

The trigger and the sights are two very important aspects of making hits in a quick succession. I'm not sure of your experience, but hopefully you realize there's a huge spectrum of triggers now, from let's say, Glock to whatever you consider "target." Just because you are fine with it, doesn't mean others will be. Their standards may be different.

Well this is the internet so neither of us knows who is [censored]'ing.

With that in mind I have been shooting pistol for 45 years. I am an NRA instructor (which is really no big deal). I have taken more advanced SD courses at Harrisburg communi9ty college and take a privatge lesson there every month.

I only ever shoot out of a SD position..at least 1000 rounds/month. Starting at 8" from my nose, firearm pointed up at a 60 degree angle with the front sight on thej target pushing out toward the target. The quickness of the shots depends 100% on the time the recoil is over and the second shot can be placed. You can't shoot before that time. The trigger could be pulled 3 times in that time...lol

Of course everyone has different standards but in a SD situation any striker pistol (probably) will accomplish the same result. I must say I did not care for the Ruger LC9S. But if one trained with it in the same way results would be fine. I carry either the 43 or 42. I do have a 26 and all triggers are identical. The 9mm Shield is (in my mind) identical. I don't think I could tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back