A new Glock 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a new 26 yesterday. Cleaned/lubed it up a little and ran 120 rounds thru it tonight at my LGS. Really liking it thus far, more so than my Ruger SR-9C. I find the interchangeability of all their 9mm magazines (except the 43) a big plus. This is my 2nd Glock and looks there will be more. I also have a 19. Both are Gen 3 versions.

Last edited:
I'm retired Police and Glocks were our issued pistols. I carried a 17 (9mm) for 6-7 years and then a 22 (.40 cal) for 7-8 years. I then switched Depts and carried a Kimber Tactical Pro II .45 cal. Completely different guns but there is no doubt that glocks are great guns and the subcompacts like your 26 are fun to shoot and carry. Glocks are definitely one of the best guns made, but I've switched over to the Smith & Wesson M&P .40 Shield pistols. People like what they like and I love the Smiths, even more than my Glocks.

Question for you guys. What do you think about the Glock 23 ? I am thinking about getting one later this year but would like to fire one to see how it feels.

Hasta
B

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Question for you guys. What do you think about the Glock 23 ? I am thinking about getting one later this year but would like to fire one to see how it feels.

Hasta
B

Maybe I am a wimp but I thought the .40 caliber to be too snappy for a polymer gun. It was too much for me so I ditched it for a 9mm. You should definitely fire one before you buy.

I have a Glock 22, 23, and 27. I like all of them and do not find them difficult to shoot even with fairly hot handloads. The 23 and 27 are EDC's and work well. I also have an OEM Glock 32 barrel (.357 SIG) that I shoot in the 23 and considering picking up a Glock 31 and 33 barrel to use in the 22 and 27.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I love my G19 except for the fact that I got a RTF version. Not fun to carry

I have a 22 RTF and absolutely love it.

Glock 26 Tip : Take out the recoil spring / guide rod assembly and spray it down with Rem Oil then wipe away all excess oil with a cloth . This will allow the recoil spring to function a little more smoothly while breaking in . *Glock 26 /27 recoil springs are notorious for having failure to fire / failure to feed until the new stiff recoil spring gets beat up a little in use... The Rem Oil on the short , stout double spring without question helps to smooth things out and aid in functionality during break in .

I carry a Glock 31 on Duty and I will certainly say that the .357sig round takes some getting used to in the lighter weapon particularly compared to the Sig 226 stainless .357sig I used to carry. I love both guns but the Glock is exactly 1 pound lighter than the Sig and with all the stuff we have to carry on our sam browne every ounce counts.

Have my "26" for over 16 years now. It definitely gets better with age!! "Smooooth, like Butta"
Run some quality ammo through it, keep it clean, and have fun.

I spend a lot of time on the range. Almost without fail, when I see a new shooter on the range with a brand new first gun, its almost always a .40.

Seems like a lot of new guys like to buy a .40 pistol for their first gun. Probably because they perceive there is more stopping power than 9MM and want more capacity than a 45ACP. That's my guess. I saw two 21 year old newb's just a few days ago with two brand new Springfield XD pistols in .40.

The 9MM vs .40 debate will rage on for years and years to come.

My personal educated opinion, for new shooters, is this. If you are buying your first gun today, I would recommend a 9MM pistol. I can see no valid reason to buy a .40 caliber pistol today, unless you are law enforcement/security and your department provides .40 ammunition.

The Glock 23 has a lot of recoil. The 23 (.40) and 27 (.40) are probably the least liked Glocks on the market.

The old standby recommendation to buy a Glock 19 9MM is there for a reason. Its a great gun. For a beginner or advanced shooter.

I bought a 9MM because i want to practice a lot and not pay a fortune for ammo. Friends that bought 45's or .357 mags stopped shooting because they said the ammo was too expensive.
My 9mm is for home defense and I think it has plenty of stopping power for inside a house with my Hornady critical defense.

I can get all the ammo I want for under $10 a box at Walmart or on on-line.

Hasta
B

Great platform, one of the advantages over a G19 is that with a G23 you can swap a 9mm conversion in there OR my favorite, the .357sig. Shoot one and see if you like it.

Nice purchase!! Will the 26 be used for concealed carry? I started with a 19 that I love, and went for the 43 for carrying. Every once in a while, I wonder if I should have gotten the 26 for magazine interchangeability, but those few tenth of an inch of thickness difference are pretty noticeable. To be honest, I'll probably end up getting a 26 anyway
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Seems like a lot of new guys like to buy a .40 pistol for their first gun

Yep my first polymer handgun was a 40 S&W Sigma and wow it had a lot of snap to it.

I learned to shoot it well and now I shoot 9mm better because of it but I wouldn't recommend anyone start with it after going through it.

I've got a good amount of history with Glocks in 9mm, 40, 45, 10mm and a little with 357 Sig. I appreciate Sig and HK and a good 1911 BUT after carrying a G17 for duty I really came to appreciate how good that platform really is. So easy to work on and build from a pile of parts. Durable and reliable and relatively cheap. My duty carry was a 23 (I was assigned detail) and now 22 (back in the bag where I belong!!).

With the advancements in boolit technology there is no superior caliber. Pick any from 9mm to 10mm. 40 is a great round but snappy. I don't see a downfall to the 9mm anymore. Load it up with some HST and have at it. It's also hard to beat a Gen 3 or Gen 4 G19. Kinda perfect in so many ways. Navy Seal's picked it too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back