A Mobil-1 Sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone:

I think we need to have a Mobil-1 Sticky with Q&A's posted in this forum.

What does everyone think?

Is everyone a little tired of all the M1 bashing and inaccurate info flying around? I really think it's starting to take away from the board.

Thoughts??? (NO BASHING PLEASE)

Then as M1 as a sponsor if any of the info was inaccurate in the sticky M1 could call us on it and have it changed by one of the Admins.

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea too.

Each major oil brand should have a sticky with that kind of info. Ensures people have the information they need for informed decisions.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I think it's a good idea too.

Each major oil brand should have a sticky with that kind of info. Ensures people have the information they need for informed decisions.
thumbsup2.gif

That's an even better idea!

MUST READ OIL INFO! is what we should call it, and when anyone asks a question that this sticky can answer we should direct them to it.

I think this would cut back on a ton of arguments!
thumbsup2.gif

Works for me. Good suggestions, Stevie. Say, maybe you should apply to be a moderator.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Works for me. Good suggestions, Stevie. Say, maybe you should apply to be a moderator.
I have already as I spend lots of time here, but Helen says that they are full up on Mod's at the moment but I'm on the waiting list. I'm good with that!
wink.gif

Sounds good to me,and will probably prevent me from starting a couple new threads. I have a couple Mobil 1 questions as we speak...
beer3.gif

I hope if there is a sticky that it is factual, not some marketing koolaid piece...

Also, you have to make sure they READ it... Not easy

Please include that it is Mobil and not Mobile in there! Also I hope you become a moderator! You should get points for thinking of this when no others have! No offense to any of the current mods. But this could really cut down on repeated questions. Very good idea IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I hope if there is a sticky that it is factual, not some marketing koolaid piece...

Also, you have to make sure they READ it... Not easy

+1 As long as it's not an advertisement it's a good idea.

If everyone wants, I can be the one that writes it. You can send me all the factual information you have and I will do my best to check it out for accuracy and write a draft which then a Mod can post as a sticky?

If you want to send me your "tid-bits" I will collect them all and put them into a Q&A.

How about it?

Mod's/Admins your thoughts?

Once this one is done we can do one for all the other popular oils...

Why not just start posting facts within this thread right here. You can then extrapolate from the rolling thread. This way we can all see the progress of information as well.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Why not just start posting facts within this thread right here. You can then extrapolate from the rolling thread. This way we can all see the progress of information as well.
That's a great idea as well.

So lets start this final thread which then I can copy/paste into a sticky thread if the MODS/ADMINS are cool with it.

Start posting guys!
thumbsup2.gif

Mobil 1 is a brand of fully synthetic oils made by ExxonMobil. It was introduced in 1974. Mobil 1 is assumed to be majority PAO with Grp III & V base oils of various %'s depending on grade. By definition of today's standards, it is a fully synthetic oil.

Mobil 1 has always been considered one of the better oils on the market meeting more API specifications than any other brand of oils and is used in over 50% Nascar. It is found in many high performance cars as OEM fill.

Common complaints you often hear about Mobil 1 are higher oil consumption, noise and iron in used oil analysis. I've seen enough UOA's to say Mobil 1 does show more Fe then avg. Whether than means anything I have no idea. They also faced competition recently from Ashland which claimed Mobil 1 5w-30 failed the Seq IVA wear test. Based on all available information, it is impossible to know what is true or not. The API claims Mobil 1 meets all API SM specifications.

Quote:
Mobil 1 is a brand name developed by the Mobil oil company and now marketed by ExxonMobil.

It was introduced in 1974[1] as a 5w-20 viscosity Fully Synthetic motor oil advertised for use up to 25,000 miles. Later, the miles-specific recommendation was dropped and the product reformulated in other viscosities under the "Tri-Synthetic" trademark. In 2002 Mobil 1 introduced "SuperSyn" anti-wear technology, followed by Mobil 1 Extended Performance in 2005, which increased the use of this technology further. The brand now includes - along with motor oils - oil filters, Fully Synthetic grease, transmission fluids, and gear lubricants.[2]

The most prominent product under the brand is Mobil 10W40 Protection Formula, a fully synthetic polyalphaolefin (PAO) engine oil. In the engine oil sector, a slightly thicker Motorsport Formula and a turbo diesel version are also available.

[edit] Sponsorship

ExxonMobil (through Mobil 1) is a major, long-term partner of Formula One constructor Team McLaren Mercedes, long-term partner of DTM constructor Mercedes-Benz, Indy Racing League and NASCAR team Penske Racing. As well as providing lubricants and fuel to McLaren, Mobil 1 is a major brand in Formula One, for example sponsoring the German Grand Prix from 1987 to 2006 and the French Grand Prix from 1998 to 2005 [3]. Since 2003, Mobil 1 has been the Official Lubricants of NASCAR and sponsors the Command Performance Award, which pays a monetary bonus to the highest-finishing Mobil 1 using team.

Mobil from 1985 to 1993 sponsored the Peter Brock Race Teams - Holden Dealer Team and Advantage Racing in the Australian Touring Car Championship. From 1994 onwards, Mobil was the Title Sponsor of the Holden Racing Team. Brock, from 1985 until his death, appeared in advertising for Mobil 1, including an international campaign that ran in the United States in 2000.

[edit] External links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil_1

Originally Posted By: StevieC

So lets start this final thread which then I can copy/paste into a sticky thread if the MODS/ADMINS are cool with it.

Start posting guys!
thumbsup2.gif

Ok, I'll start...

MobilMan.jpg

Faq #1 Mobil 1 is the best because it has the number 1 in the name. This indicates that quality is job #1 at Mobil. The number 1 also refers to marketing position as the best selling full synthetic motor oil. The number 1 is also what you get when you subtract the lesser grade competitors group 3 oils from Mobil 1's more superior group 4 base. The coolest thing about M1 is watching it slide down a funnel into 1 side of your engine. The number 1 also inspires confidence since it indicates the ability for Mobil to stand head and shoulders above competiors(maybe the Beatles were right)that bottle of M1 just might be lonely sitting by itself at the top of the heap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back