A Mobil-1 Sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Basically, this site needs a FAQ. A well written FAQ could eliminate 98% of the posts on this forum.
The point of a forum is to have a place to discuss topics is it not? Who cares if the same questions get posted over and over. You don't have to reply to those threads.

I agree with you, but what bugs most users on this board is the slamming of M1 based on inaccurate information that is just a rumor and nothing more. That's all.

Lets try and get the M1 sticky first, then we can work on the others...

Although some of the comments I'm seeing in this thread makes me think I shouldn't even bother.
smirk2.gif
-- So sad!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I agree with you, but what bugs most users on this board is the slamming of M1 based on inaccurate information that is just a rumor and nothing more. That's all.

What are these inaccuracies you talk of?

Will you be including all the factual info surrounding Valvoline's finding that Mobil 1 was not meeting minimum API SM wear specifications and such?

I'll be sure and go over your little sticky with a fine tooth comb regarding the FACTS about Valvoline, Mobil 1, how the API certifies oils, who the API is, and the Seq. IVA wear test. Oh, and the fact Valvoline still stands by their accusations and Exxon Mobil 1 won't do a dam thing about it.
LOL.gif

I don't use M1 so I could care less what the sticky reveals, I'm just tired of the mud-slinging in these forums. Every other thread is a M1 thread, and if it's not it quickly becomes one and it's so much K-rap to sort through to find really good information and really good discussions.

That's why I want to have the sticky... I'm all for a Pennzoil, Castrol, Fram one too.

Originally Posted By: brian12
The point of a forum is to have a place to discuss topics is it not? Who cares if the same questions get posted over and over. You don't have to reply to those threads.
+1,
thumbsup2.gif
And, it doesn't bug me at all the some slam M1. Some slam Valvoline, or ST oil filters, or 5w20 oil, or RX etc. etc.

IMO, once you start, you open the door for a separate sticky for any oil, filter, oil viscosity. etc. that some might bash based on opinion or otherwise.

It does make me wonder if there isn't some sort of hidden agenda by singling out M1 for special consideration?
21.gif

I think the posters here are smart enough to read and make up their own mind about any product. JMO

There is that word Agenda again.
smirk2.gif

I give up. If it continues to go down this road, I will just leave the board all together. I think I have enough information as it is and no longer need to "Over-think" oil/filters.

Just use a darn good oil with a quality filter and change regularly is all it really amounts to.

It's too bad that this board is becoming somewhat childish with mud-slinging whether it be at Fram, M1 or whoever.

smirk2.gif

It would be useful to point out the negative side of Mobil 1 as well. I mean we don't want bias. We want facts or at least very strong deductive reasoning. The company's behavior is valid as well.

For instance, Mobil 1 discussed PAO basestock in the past. Now they will not, claiming its proprietary information.

That sort of thing rubs people the wrong way. Of course they are within their rights. The problem is their rights are completely irrelevant to customer perception. It leads people to believe their products have less PAO than before. Or even to doubt there's any PAO at all in some formulations. Rightfully or wrongfully so. It makes no difference.

- In the 1970's Mobil 1 claimed their oil was good for 25,000 miles.

- In 2009, Mobil 1 EP, their longest drain oil, is claimed to be good for only 15,000 miles.

- It's accepted as fact that modern engines are dramatically easier on oil than their 70's counterparts. Unleaded fuel, fuel injection, computer controlled engine management etc have allowed OCIs to increase in length not decrease.

The consumer can only reckon either:

- Mobil 1 lied to them in the 70's

- The definition of propriety is hose job

- Or it was a hose job even before it was proprietary

* The views expressed above are not necessarily in accord with those of the actual poster, even though they are the same person.

** It is possible that a mile was not 5,280 feet in the 1970's.

*** It is now thought to be plausible that, due to the excessive use of dope, someone high up in the weights and measures department, could have simply placed the decimal point in the wrong spot. It was supposed to be 2,500 miles not 25,000. Which is consistent with the 3000 OCI mindset at the time.

Last edited:
Obviously, M1 changed their formula from the orginal for possibly various reasons, cost, compatibility with other oils or API certifications. The current M1 may provide more protection for a shorter period of time than the original.

Actually M1 oils are tested in real world conditions for much longer OCIs than 15,000 miles or even 25,000 miles. Unlike some companies they are recommending shorter OCIs for the good of the consumer. Notice the diesel UOA for the 6 ltr Ford engine that's roached running at this time.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
There is that word Agenda again.
smirk2.gif

I give up. If it continues to go down this road, I will just leave the board all together. I think I have enough information as it is and no longer need to "Over-think" oil/filters.

Just use a darn good oil with a quality filter and change regularly is all it really amounts to.

It's too bad that this board is becoming somewhat childish with mud-slinging whether it be at Fram, M1 or whoever.

smirk2.gif

Agreed. And likely why we don't find experts like Doug, Mola, Bruce...etc posting anywhere near as frequently anymore.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
It would be useful to point out the negative side of Mobil 1 as well. I mean we don't want bias. We want facts or at least very strong deductive reasoning. The company's behavior is valid as well.

For instance, Mobil 1 discussed PAO basestock in the past. Now they will not, claiming its proprietary information.

That sort of thing rubs people the wrong way. Of course they are within their rights. The problem is their rights are completely irrelevant to customer perception. It leads people to believe their products have less PAO than before. Or even to doubt there's any PAO at all in some formulations. Rightfully or wrongfully so. It makes no difference.

- In the 1970's Mobil 1 claimed their oil was good for 25,000 miles.

- In 2009, Mobil 1 EP, their longest drain oil, is claimed to be good for only 15,000 miles.

- It's accepted as fact that modern engines are dramatically easier on oil than their 70's counterparts. Unleaded fuel, fuel injection, computer controlled engine management etc have allowed OCIs to increase in length not decrease.

The consumer can only reckon either:

- Mobil 1 lied to them in the 70's

- The definition of propriety is hose job

- Or it was a hose job even before it was proprietary

* The views expressed above are not necessarily in accord with those of the actual poster, even though they are the same person.

** It is possible that a mile was not 5,280 feet in the 1970's.

*** It is now thought to be plausible that, due to the excessive use of dope, someone high up in the weights and measures department, could have simply placed the decimal point in the wrong spot. It was supposed to be 2,500 miles not 25,000. Which is consistent with the 3000 OCI mindset at the time.

Note the amount of litigation has increases exponentially since 1970's

Originally Posted By: peterdes
Mark888 can be the Mobil 1 FAQ thread Overseer.

:)

That suggestion is that response on behalf of the advertiser that I think would be appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back