A little ramp mishap..

I never had much luck with ramps. Never could drive up on them safely. I can put a floor jack and a jack stand under there faster than I could ever get up on a a ramp.

I just drove over the metal ramps one day with my old Tracker(another overpowered beast!). Dented the pinch seams a bit and the ramps a little and I still use the ramps, just more carefully!

I invented new curse words when trying to get the Mustang up on them. Super-slick polished garage floor. My FWDs have been no issue.

I use the same ramps; sometime it can be challenging but so far so good; our CRV is more challenging to ramp up (foot emergency brake) than Mazda due to its regular emergency brake

My daughter pulls in the driveway yesterday complaining that the Versa is rattling again. I confirmed it. It seems to be internal to the rear muffler and not shield related. Looks like all the ramp mayhem was for 'nothin! A shame too because the exhaust system looks good, but the 2-bolt flange to remove and replace the rear muffler isn't pretty.

Good to see no injury or damage to vehicle . Made from leftover wood . About 11 years old .
IMG_5228.JPG
IMG_5229.JPG
IMG_5223.JPG
IMG_5215.JPG
IMG_5219.JPG
IMG_5220.JPG
IMG_5218.JPG
IMG_5211.JPG
IMG_5212.JPG

Last edited:
If this is show and tell...

Used these for over 20 years made from three 2x6 boards five thick. You can even have one side of the car higher than the other if the oil drain plug is on the side of the engine.

large.jpg

Wow, never seen one crack. We did run a van up a set a bit too far and it tilted forward. I was surprised the front edge didn’t break.

I don’t know if it’s better for a ramp to be sacrificial, or for a vehicle to smack on a metal ramp... which also have been known to collapse.

Used these for over 20 years made from three 2x6 boards five thick. You can even have one side of the car higher than the other if the oil drain plug is on the side of the engine.

large.jpg

That top section is pretty short. I can see a accident happening on that.

Brought back my oldie thread here!

I've since replaced the rhinos with another set. I like them because they're easy to carry around, store, toss in a vehicle, etc.

Flame me at will, but I even used the set with the cracked one a few more times with light/medium cars. Not an issue, but of course I added a jack stand to that side just in case..

The name of the game with ramps is to take precautions so they can't slide across the surface they're on. That's what got me into trouble in the first place.

I'm using steel ramps that I've had for years. I don't trust getting under a car with nothing but a piece of plastic supporting it. I've accidentally overshot the steel ramps on a couple occasions when pulling onto them but, it's never damaged the ramps or car. I'm normally outside either in the yard or on a gravel driveway when I use the ramps so sliding isn't usually much of an issue.

I have some wood in the garage that I want to make ramps out of. The wood was for a mantle and I believe mahogany. I’ve had it for years.
231070E3-36C3-4B1E-BFC2-CE0DFC26CA8D.jpeg
187F56DB-BEF9-4D82-8E1E-0E30A482DAF7.jpeg

OP's ramp was light plastic. These probably weight 30 pounds each.
For sure … my “glued & screwed” Pine-O-Ramps are 5 layers of 2x10 and are very heavy.
One thing you can do when building ramps is have the first board long enough so that the tire will pin the ramp in place and there is less “push” coming up in 1.5” steps …

One of the reasons I’ve never been a ramp guy, I probably look like I have massive constipation when I’m pulling a car onto a trailer with how much I have to focus because of my fear of doing exactly this.

I use one of these (Universal Floor Jack Rubber Pad... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TP6WCL?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) on my jack to lift my wife’s rogue (probably similar pinch welds) plus some massive chocks and the parking brake for the back for oil changes. Pinch welds look very good.

large.jpg
Could use this as a high wire act . :D

Back