A great example of a "good" insurance experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd share with you folks our experience with some seriously excellent customer service from our new insurance company.

A little while ago we switched insurance companies due to poor handling of an issue my partner had before we paired up. Well we ended up with a local company that does ins/real estate. One of the owners is a classmate of my friend (they are a year younger than me) and a REAL go-getter. He first handled putting one of my friend's houses up for sale. We got to talking insurance and next thing you know my friend is having ALL his personal and farm property written with the new agent. LOTS of stuff... LOTS- I remarked that is like an empire...

He also does a quote on the shop- it's more than the other company, but he shows us all the little and not so little holes in coverage, under covered parts and so on. Okay- so he sets us up with their premier, premium underwriter for the best coverage/lowest rates and we're off... Well they drop us. Reasons being they think we are on residential property, not enough records of loss ratio- basically not enough years of being insured and not enough proof we're a good risk- well we have been around for 3 years and have precisely ZERO claims, ZERO accidents, ZERO anything. Not good enough. Underwriter will however cover us with their second tier type coverage, albeit at an increased rate. Not cool. We've already signed on, planned out blah, blah... We were not happy, because it was already a significant increase in cash outlay. So our agent stepped up to the plate and paid the underwriter out of their own pocket- in full and told us we could keep paying the first, lower rate. They forgo their commission and all their incentives until we prove ourselves to the underwriter that we are eligible for the premium coverage. Once we are, then the local agent will get their commission and whatever incentives they are due.

This guy is fricking awesome! Smart, motivated, driven. It's his dad's company, but he was not handed a job. He went through college, hired on with a claims company, did the grunt work in the trenches, then bought into dad's company years later. Looking at the walls in his office, there are several years of plaques showing multi-millions in sales. He knows realty quite well and he knows insurance well too- and he's only 35-36 years old.

After the way he handled the shop's insurance, I've switched our auto ins to him too. A touch more money, but the service is unparalleled. So next time you go to gripe about ins agent/companies, maybe try switching to a more small time, local agent/company.

Best of all, we picked up a new customer. All his stuff comes out to us. He'll drop it off and tell us basically if it needs it, I trust you- fix it.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I thought I'd share with you folks our experience with some seriously excellent customer service from our new insurance company.

Well we have been around for 3 years and have precisely ZERO claims, ZERO accidents, ZERO anything. Not good enough. Underwriter will however cover us with their second tier type coverage, albeit at an increased rate. Not cool. We've already signed on, planned out blah, blah... We were not happy, because it was already a significant increase in cash outlay. So our agent stepped up to the plate and paid the underwriter out of their own pocket- in full and told us we could keep paying the first, lower rate. They forgo their commission and all their incentives until we prove ourselves to the underwriter that we are eligible for the premium coverage. Once we are, then the local agent will get their commission and whatever incentives they are due.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
This guy is fricking awesome! Smart, motivated, driven. It's his dad's company, but he was not handed a job. He went through college, hired on with a claims company, did the grunt work in the trenches, then bought into dad's company years later. Looking at the walls in his office, there are several years of plaques showing multi-millions in sales. He knows realty quite well and he knows insurance well too- and he's only 35-36 years old.

After the way he handled the shop's insurance, I've switched our auto ins to him too. A touch more money, but the service is unparalleled. So next time you go to gripe about ins agent/companies, maybe try switching to a more small time, local agent/company.

Best of all, we picked up a new customer. All his stuff comes out to us. He'll drop it off and tell us basically if it needs it, I trust you- fix it.

The insurance is bad, and your agent is good.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

The insurance is bad, and your agent is good.

I'm not so sure. I think it was a matter of them being nit-picky. According to our guy, they have really good customer service, response times, all that jazz- but you basically need to be a top notch customer to get in. All I really know is what I can "see".. and that is our agent is busting his butt for us on every front.

I would imagine the best experience is to never use your auto insurance to begin with. It is a long term scam no matter what the company or insurer.

That agent sounds like a winner....what's sad is that there are now so many people in America who want to punish winners for working hard and being successful....

Your agent is golden. I know how it goes. Our recent fire was a good example. We had a remote adjuster who just didn't understand the situation. Our agent, who we have been with for over 30 years was no help. Talk to the hand. Of course I wrote letters. I'm good at writing letters. Got the attention of the head office. Got a new adjuster. More letters. Finally got assigned a trouble fixer. 6 months in a hotel, $42k, building and contents, $47k. $12k out of pocket for much needed remodeling. We are good.

Bad representation cost the ins co 3 months and more then $20k.

The take away is, learn how to write good letters. And copy the state ins regulators. And contact the state attorney general's office and ask for advice. The AG office said to keep then advised, which we did. No one said, but I suspect there were phone calls, at least to the state ins regulator, which is a elected position, and currently held by the other party. (just like our state AG).

Oh wow! That sucks! Glad that you finally got it handled!

On an unrelated note: He was telling us about the time his boss sent him out on a fire loss claim (before he bought in with his dad). Before going out the boss said the guy was a little... different. So he went and sifted through the remains and could tell right away that the fire was intentional... The own was wanting him to cut a check right away, but all he was authorized to do was give the guy a small check to cover room & board, food and so on. Well, the guy was having none of that. He kept insisting and our guy kept saying that he had zero authority to do that... Well, the guy finally pulled a gun on him and said "You're going to give me X amount of dollars right now!" So he said that he had to go to his car for the checkbook or some such nonsense and when the guy wasn't looking, hightailed it!

Called the cops, then his boss and gave him a raft of grief. He now goes out a bit more prepared.

The agent definitely understands what "customer service" is really all about, and takes it seriously. His success is based on it, amazing how that concept has been almost totally lost by most businesses today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back