A Bat In The House

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Reminds me of the Great Outdoors. John Candy and Dan Aykroyd.

That's a great movie.

You haven't torched this place yet? $3 for a gallon of gas and a match...problem solved!

Used the shop vac and the longest extension possible, then duct taped the home vacuum cleaner extension to the flex hose so I had about 8 feet of tube to work with. I sucked the thing up, capped off the extension, and then carried the still running shop vac outside (100ft extension cord.) It took some coaxing, but I was growing impatient so I ripped the top of the vacuum cleaner off and the bat crawled out. It just stood there looking around for a few minutes, but as soon as I opened my door and went after it with the extension tube it flew away. Looked healthy and uninjured, so I feel good in that regard.

Find the entrance and block it, something like screen works well. I remember we moved into a place once many years back and we kept hearing stuff. It's fairly common for cats to climb under a house if there is room.

We figured that's what it was then one night it sounded like it was coming from the walls not the floor. I knocked out about 3 sections of drywall and found tons of them. Oddly enough between the noise, and a few falling to the floor non of them work up.

If they have been sleeping for a good bit of time you can pretty much grab them by hand without waking them up. Don't kill them tho (put them in a trash bag or something) many states have laws on how you can handle a bat.

Rarely will a bat live by itself, they form colonies most often and will have a few other nests/colonies near by. Once you get it just throw them up in the air outside of the door. That seemed to wake every single one of them up instantly and they flew off even the ones that dropped a good 8-10 foot without realizing it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I went into another room and waited for it to stop flying around. When I came back, I couldn't find it. It appeared once more when I was looking behind a curtain. Myself, being the big baby I am when it comes to flying animals, retreated to an upstairs bedroom while the bat darted around downstairs during the night.

LMAO!!
crackmeup2.gif

Me too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back