A 40 thousand dollar Golf??

JOD

I actually remembered this thread from a while back. Since that was a theoretical one though, and I actually own the car, I thought I'd post a new one.

First off, since context is important, I'll say that I'm a long-time VW owner--and hater... Owned a '78 Scirocco (awesome until the strut towers rusted out), '84 GTI (taught me a lot about road side repairs!), and a '93 Eurovan (great when it worked. Eventually had to carry a bike with me at all times so I could get be assured to get to my destination). Electrical problems with the Eurovan just broke me on the brand, for a number of years. I ended up coming back for a simple reason: they're the only ones making a manual transmission wagon. Fast forward a bit, and I somehow end up with an Allltrack (tuned, modded a bit, awesome), and a MK7 GTI.

I picked the GTI up at a ridiculous price, and ended up driving it for a year and making about a thousand bucks on it. While I really liked it, it became clear that even with the differential, almost 300HP and tons of torque on a tuned GTI was more than the car really wanted to handle. Additionally, I may go down to one car at some point, and having it be AWD is helpful. Lastly, I like the idea of a well-appointed car without a sunroof. Enter the Golf R:

[Linked Image]

For some additional context: I'm cheap. I think 40K for any car is stupid. That said, I have the money and I'm not hung up about needed prestige for my $$. That said, after owning it for just a few weeks, I will say that I now believe the hype--and this is an over-hyped car. It actually is a blend of the Alltrack and GTI, which is what I expected, but I like it better than both by a pretty good margin.

Engine: what can you say? Even stock, it rips. Gobs of low-end torque, 300HP, and a bottom end and head that can handle a lot more power. I'll tune it eventually, but not go crazy.

Transmission: wince away, but I got the DSG. It's the better performing transmission in this car, and it's incredible. Stock programming is worlds better than the 6 speed DSG, IMO. I normally prefer driving a manual in traffic (weird, I know), but this thing downshifts as it should, and doesn't try to run away from me at a stop. In manual mode, shifts are lightning fast. I really like the gear ratios as well.

Chassis: so much has been said about it, but its even better than expected. The dynamic chassis control (DCC) is awesome. In comfort mode, even the stock 19" wheels weren't too punishing. On 18's, it's downright floaty--until you need it to not be floaty. In the normal mode it's still comfortable, but tightens up the feel considerably. Handling it taut, but not nervous. All of the superlatives used to describe the chassis are actually true.

AWD system: I'm familiar enough with the Haldex system to like it. FWD fuel economy, traction when you need it, and very flat handling. If you're looking for a drift machine, this isn't it, but it's almost free of understeer at the limits.

Interior: it's perfect, IMO. Just enough tech, but not oppressive, subtle styling that won't get dated, and awesome seats (have the same seats in my Alltrack).

Utility: great for what it is. Yes, the wagon has more room, but this thing is almost a small wagon. The fact that the rear hatch isn't massively sloped like most hatchbacks is the reason I own this car. I wouldn't work otherwise. While cars like the Civic Si claim more space, this space is more usable for me. Truth be told, for my purposes it will do almost all of what my wagon will do, with just a few exceptions. Of course, having a bit smaller dog now is a factor. My dearly departed 50 lbs pitbull did not really care for anything smaller than the back of the Alltrack. 2.0 decided to stop growing at about 30 lbs, and she's very content in the cargo area of the R!

Styling: also perfect. I'm a bit fan of the Getaway Car, and turns out, this is the perfect getaway car. It's not flashy, but it won't look stupid in 20 years. I still think the '09 Jetta wagons look great. For some reason, German cars tend to hold their looks better than most, even if (or maybe because) they look less interesting at first.

Other: my insurance actually went down vs. the GTI? I guess this isn't as much of a bro car, and they're less likely to end up upside down at an exit ramp? The car has a 6/72 bumper-to-bumper warranty, which is crazy. Golf MK7's seem to be pretty reliable for major stuff, and the car is easy to work on.

All in all, I'm very happy with the 40K Golf! I cross-shopped a lot of cars when looking at it, from BMW F31's to 997's. Ultimately though, it just came down to needed a hatch, and actually like the slightly smaller vehicle. The only car that really compared for me was the M140i, but I actually preferred the Golf R. Plus, getting that into the US would have been...tricky... If I have any electrical gremlins in a year though, I'll make sure to get on the internet and complain.

Congrats. The only thing i didn't like about the R in the past was the wheel design on the base. The one's on your VW are spot on.

Last edited:
Nice!! Enjoy!

Yes, the DSG is the way to go. I have owned manu manuals, but the DSG in my mk7 GTI was really good (and I didn't miss the manual at all).

Congrats! Love the body and wheel color. That color really helps the car "blend in" which is something I appreciate about the Golf R. I really debated getting one 2 years ago, but the deals on the GTI were too good to pass up (during Dieselgate).

For the DSG, this is the 7 speed version? Is that still a wet clutch or a dry clutch?

Is that what you paid or was that the msrp? I think it's a nice sleeper. Some people will see it and recognize it as quick and fast. Other, for instance the typical Challenger r/t hemi owner will expect to pull on it and get an embarrassing surprise as they're treated to a picturesque view of it's tail lights as their hemi wheezes trying fruitlessly to reel it in. the 5.7 hemi that is.

Don't know if you swapped wheels for a winter set-up, or whatever, but ...

The factory 19 inch wheels with the 225/35 rubber band tires are FRAGILE. The extra 1/2 inch of rubber you get with 18's seems to really help in keeping wheels straight.

And SOME 17's will fit as well ...

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
Congrats!

For the DSG, this is the 7 speed version? Is that still a wet clutch or a dry clutch?

Are the clutches serviceable in the DSG ? And if so, at what cost ? I have heard some $$$$$$$$$ stories ...

I am looking at used R MK7, among other few cars with stick I am considering to get next year. But geez do they hold their value.
I did not research this, but does R has vectoring diff. in front same like GTI and Alltrek?

Last edited:
I like the looks of that R. Understated, yet a hint of something that confirms it can perform when needed. I pondered getting one of these but I didn't want to shell out that much for a commuter.

Nice car OP.

Originally Posted by wemay
Congrats. The only thing i didn't like about the R in the past was the wheel design on the base. The one's on your VW are spot on.

I second this opinion. $40K is not too much for what you get, IMO, at all. My only negative to say is that I believe we are long over-due for the next iteration, and I'd be frustrated if they came out with it in 1-2 years and it was heaps better.

That is a great car! It's the only affordable AWD car that I would consider as a replacement for the 2er.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I second this opinion. $40K is not too much for what you get, IMO, at all. My only negative to say is that I believe we are long over-due for the next iteration, and I'd be frustrated if they came out with it in 1-2 years and it was heaps better.

The MK7 is only 5 years old and the same basic architecture underpins nearly everything VW makes.

Don't expect the MK8 to be a huge departure.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Congrats. I wish you many years of repair free ownership !

Thanks! eh, I'm not really expecting years of trouble-free ownship! As long as I'm not forced to carry another vehicle inside, I'll consider it a win. My expectations are low enough that I think the car should step over them. I realize I'll be replacing door switches and window motors, and the warranty is long enough to take care of the big stuff. Part of being a happy VW owner is setting your expectations....

Yeah, the stock 19" "Englishtown" wheels are horrid. I sold them the day I got the car. Wasn't sure of the bronze Neuspeeds from my white GTI, but I'm totally happy with the look, and glad to be on 18's. These 18's are actually my summer wheels, and I have some winter 17's.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
Congrats! Love the body and wheel color. That color really helps the car "blend in" which is something I appreciate about the Golf R. I really debated getting one 2 years ago, but the deals on the GTI were too good to pass up (during Dieselgate).

Yep, it's the 7 speed, but it's the wet clutch version (DQ381). I've driven the 7 speed dry clutch version in Asia, and was not impressed. This is similar to the DQ250, with an extra gear and better programming.

I paid 39.5K. MSRP is something like 43.5 with the DSG. It took tons of shopping to get that deal, and I pretty much looked up and down the west coast. They just don't deal much on these cars.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I am looking at used R MK7, among other few cars with stick I am considering to get next year. But geez do they hold their value.
I did not research this, but does R has vectoring diff. in front same like GTI and Alltrek?

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the 2 year old lease return and let someone else take the hit, but depreciation on these is oddly low. I saw used ones for close to what I paid? In this instance, I thought new made more sense.

The R has the brake-based torque vectoring, and you can tweak it a bit in vagcom. If I were regularly tracking the car, I'd probably put a Wavetrac in there, but for my driving habits it's just not worth it. If I burn through the DSG clutches, then I'd go that route (to the poster who asked, DSG clutches aren't bad, but there are tunes that increase clamping pressure, and the stock clutches really don't seem to be much of a limiting factor. So, not too worried about the transmission).

Originally Posted by dareo
Those are terrible, please dispose of it at my house.

hey, funny enough I almost ended up buying one in Utah and driving it home!

Originally Posted by MCompact
That is a great car! It's the only affordable AWD car that I would consider as a replacement for the 2er.

Well, the 235 is a pretty obvious competitor, and I liked it a lot. It's all in how you use the car though, and about 95% of the time of driving, there is a dog in the back. The hatch just wins here. I drove a M135 in Taiwan and loved it. Had it been available in the US, it would have been a close call.

Originally Posted by edyvw

The mk7 Golf R has 60/40 weight distribution and a transverse mounted engine. It has a reactive AWD which primarily drives the front wheels and can only send 50% of the torque to the rear wheels.

Why would you of all people want one, eh? Rofl!!!

Originally Posted by dareo
Those are terrible, please dispose of it at my house.

hey, funny enough I almost ended up buying one in Utah and driving it home!

[/quote]
Wow, utah dealers are terrible on price. I shipped my GSW from california and still paid less, back in late 2015 at least. Same dealer was shipping a Golf R out for 5,000 over sticker because that was cheap at the time. No utah dealer would go anywhere near our Tourx purchase either.

If they ever offer a Sportwagen R i will be in some serious debt as i would be powerless to resist buying.

Sweet car. If I had cash in hand it'd think $40k I'd crazy and buy it. I love the subtle look and no GTI badges cluttering it.

Back