99 Sunfire with high miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 99 Pontiac Sunfire with 195K. Im going to change the ATF fluid soon I was wondering if it would benefit from Dexron 6

I'm pretty sure that if you went to a GM dealership they'd sell you the Dex6. Any Dex6 should be fine and is the easy answer. Is it better than the alternatives? If you list the other choices you're considering someone else here will probably offer some good advice.

My opinion is Dex VI is the best fluid even for older models. It does cost a bit more than Dex 3, so whether it is worth it on a high mliage vehicle is hard to call.

Its a good fluid. Its a worthwhile "upgrade" unless it leaks fluid like a sieve or is a year from the scrapyard really.

Go for it. Get a good licensed Dex6 and be proud.

I wouldn't use DexVI.
The car has gone nearly 200K on good old Dex III so why change?
The thinner DexVI could be problematic in that high mileage unit.
You can buy Dex III gallons (ST) at WM very cheap or you could get the Castrol high-mileage.

Baloney. DexIII quickly shears down to about the same viscosity as DexVI. So "thinner" isn't the problem.

Now I could agree that it is a high mileage unit so why rock your boat, but if it shifts crisply and engages quickly then service it.

DexVI is a huge upgrade in most cases. And a great car for cheap trans BTW, we had these in our stable when the kids were young.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I wouldn't use DexVI.
The car has gone nearly 200K on good old Dex III so why change?
The thinner DexVI could be problematic in that high mileage unit.
You can buy Dex III gallons (ST) at WM very cheap or you could get the Castrol high-mileage.

This. I converted my older Chevy Venture to Dex 6 and shortly thereafter the problems started. Was it the Dex 6? I can't say for sure but it had over 100k of trouble free miles on the DexIII.

Dex VI is absolutely the superior fluid, I'm just not convinced that all of the older tranny's that have lived long hard lives on DexIII will take to it easily.

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
I have a 99 Pontiac Sunfire with 195K. Im going to change the ATF fluid soon I was wondering if it would benefit from Dexron 6

I changed my malibu with Dex VI and it started to get lazy with the shifting. Never have this before. I added a bottle of lubeguard and it is smoother then it was on Dex 3. This is by no means scientific but I think we have the same if not similar transmissions and I changed mine at 100k. It is worth a shot but I think you are better of sticking to what you have (worked for 195k) or switch to something like Valvoline Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Is this millage on the original engine/trans?

Im not sure, I haven't had the car long but it looks like the owner before me has taken care it. There is gasket maker around the trans. pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back