99 civic lx 1.6 rebuilt engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody, I am a new member to this site although I've been reading information from here the last year.

My question is I have a 99 civic lx that I rebuilt with new rings,bearings,oil pump and all the seals. What oil would be recommended ? I'm thinking of going with a full synthetic and do OCI every under normal driving ever 10k

Welcome!

Do two short intervals with Rotella T5 10w-30. I'd probably do 500 and 2,500. Then, you can start the longer runs with synthetic. Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 is a great choice for longer runs, but you may want to get analysis done at 5,000 and 7,500 to make sure everything is as it should be.

Any API SN synthetic would do that 10k in your Honda. I would probably do some short changes to rinse out anything residual left from opening her up. For the full run though Pennzoil Platinum is popular as well has regular M1 5w30.

Welcome to BITOG!

For a filter, I recommend the Purolator Pureone. It has a textured grip for easy installation and removal. It is also a great filter. The P1 should have no problem with 10k.

Thanks for the warm welcoming, I should of registered earlier.

What local shops sell Purolator filters?

Also is 15k OCI possible? Its my brothers car and he's extremely lazy,he usually doesn't check the fluids until his car messed up/making noise.

You might want to step up to an extended drain oil past 10k although it's hard to guess without analyzing the used oil. Extended drain oils that are affordable include Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Ultra, or Castrol Edge.

For filters I recommend Wix or Fram Tough Guard. I can get Wix at OReilly or pep boys and Tough guards at Walmart or just about anywhere. Overkill filters would be the synthetics which flow better and generally hold more contamination. Fram Ultra, wix Xp, Purolator Synthetic or royal purple.

If you shop the auto stores circulars each month they often have specials on 5 individual quarts of oil plus a filter for one low price. If you shop at Walmart you can buy the 5.1 quart jugs of synthetic cheapest there for $20-30 depending on the flavor.

thanks for the imput.

i think im gonna go with rotella t5 and a fram ultra filter for the first two oil changes.

then ill try either penzoil ultra, mobile 1ep, or castrol edge.(probably go with whatever is cheaper, same with filter between fram,wix,or purolator)
ill probably get a oil analysis at 10k and see if it can handle another 5k

Rotella T5 is a solid choice for short intervals, since its stout and affordable, but if your going to run the fram ultra, its capable of multiple changes with the efficiency increasing as it loads up.

I would probably suggest a cheaper filter for the first couple of changes like the Tough Guard or even a Purolator classic.

You're on the right track. Fill it with T5 and get a Purolator Classic at Wal-Mart. Do it again at 500 miles.

At 2,500 miles go with the Pennzoil Ultra and a premium filter if your goal is 10,000. Bosch D+, Mobil 1, and Fram Ultra are all good for extended intervals. If you're lucky, you can find both the Pennzoil Ultra and Bosch or Fram filters at your local WM.

Originally Posted By: notoriousg
Thanks for the warm welcoming, I should of registered earlier.

What local shops sell Purolator filters?

Also is 15k OCI possible? Its my brothers car and he's extremely lazy,he usually doesn't check the fluids until his car messed up/making noise.

A fram ultra for the first 2 oil changes?
Obviously you aren't listening. The fram ultra is a long life filter capable of 25000+ mile drains. Why spend extra for a filter you are just gonna toss out.
If you are gonna do the 500/2500 mile intervals use the orange can or a puro classic. They cost less and are more than capable for what you need.

As far as oil goes the 1.6 isn't hard on oil. PP/m1/qsud will all easily do 12000-15000 mile drains unless it's being driven like some ricer.
And Honda says run the oil filter for 2 oil change intervals so start there.
If you are gonna get a used oil analysis done wait til 15000 miles so the results are actually indicative of what's really happening,not skewed because of break in.
Dnewton is running a puro classic and supertech conventional for 15000 mile intervals and his used oil analysis are easily considered normal,so use that as a benchmark and read his articles on the bitog homepage. They will help dispel common held myths and you can make an enlightened decision instead of listening to the commercials or the salesman.

Actually the orange can would be perfect for the short drains, since its much like the Honda filter, although it doesn't have a super high efficiency Honda doesn't specify one anyways.

How many files on the engine at the time of the overhaul?

Did you carefully check the distributor drive gear and the timing advance function when you got the engine running, again.

Was this honed out? I wonder if blow by will stay nice and low--or if the oil will have to deal with crud.

Yes I realized ultra was overkill, but for $7 I wasn't worried.
I ended up going with a Napa gold and rotella t5.

I was actually gonna do a 1000/3000 oil change cause my brother was calling me crazy when I told him oil had to be changed at 500.

Also I did not check the distributor drive gear or timing advance the engine is still apart I received the oil pump and when I installed everything I realized the timing pully dug into the oil pump. Not sure why but I'll be working on that tomorrow.

And the block was honed I had the head recertified and the machine shop honed the block free of charge.

Also I bought the car when it had about 160k and I wasn't sure of previous work done on it ,right now the cars at 240k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back