99 4l60e change to Dexron VI troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you can't deny the results i had and others i read about on LS1 site that had identical results,DexVI in and smoother softer shifts afterward.I found quite a few posts about it.PLUs DexVI has friction modifiers in it....that has to have some kind of effect on the clutches.

Yes it can be proven. There are a number of friction tests that are part of the DEXRON approval process. Many of those tests were run for DEXRON-III and are also run for DEXRON-VI, so a comparison is possible.
Don't ask me for data though because I can't give it to you.

Well I think that would be the final question then. If the shifts take the same total amount of time, is the final holding torque of the clutches the same as when bathed in Dex.III ????????

Originally Posted By: 99TA
when you started cold the car would lurch foward in park.Now it just starts without moving,thats telling me there is a huge differeance in the two oils lubricity.

What you are describing is the cold oil "drag" that occurs with DexIII because when it's cold it is so thick. The DexVI is a thinner synthetic that won't cause that drag. You experience this "lurch" with motorcycle that have a wet clutch. BTW, I have DexVI in my 06 YukonXl 4L60e and is does shift way smoother than my 02 Suburban 4L60e with DexIII. But that is a good thing because it locks up better and there is no 1-2 2-3 clunk at low speeds like in the past. Shifts are now smooth and quick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
when you started cold the car would lurch foward in park.Now it just starts without moving,thats telling me there is a huge differeance in the two oils lubricity.

What you are describing is the cold oil "drag" that occurs with DexIII because when it's cold it is so thick. The DexVI is a thinner synthetic that won't cause that drag. You experience this "lurch" with motorcycle that have a wet clutch. BTW, I have DexVI in my 06 YukonXl 4L60e and is does shift way smoother than my 02 Suburban 4L60e with DexIII. But that is a good thing because it locks up better and there is no 1-2 2-3 clunk at low speeds like in the past. Shifts are now smooth and quick.
You just described it to a T...TY!

Still doesn't make me happy...the 2-3 shift is terrible now and the delay going into gear is too long IMO.I'm sucking all the DEXVI out tomorrow and going back to dexIII.I don't think its going to fail but why should i put up with this weirdo soft shifting.It just feels wrong,this car always felt good going up through the gears.Now i'm on pins and needles wondering if its going to slip it feels that soft.I also think going back to DexIII is not going to change it back much because the DEXVI has worked its way into the clutches.Live and learn the hard way....i wish i had some good reason for trying this DexVI other than wasting quite a bit of time and money.I'd have to tell anyone else thinking about changing over to stay away from the DexVI if you have a performance car.I had to drive the car tonight and honestly its not fun to drive at all.It feels like the trans is on its last leg it shifts that soft,but it doesn't slip or act up in anyway.Very strange if you ask me.The road to [censored] is paved with good intentions!

You guys should just listen to what WhiteWolf says, seriously. He is speaking the truth.

Pablo,please tell me i can still can put this fluid in,i don't want to mix too many different oils and end up ruining something.What would you do at this point?I'm extremely stressed out over this.I go from having a normal working trans without any issues to this mess.TY

99, I envy your problem, I have been working hard with little success to improve the light hard shifting on my 99QX4 A/T,may be next time I will try Dex6.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
You guys should just listen to what WhiteWolf says, seriously. He is speaking the truth.
huh?

You can mix the ATD in, NO problem. Just do 3-4 relatively quick drain and flushes.

Ask me what I would do?

1) Don't stress. Your tranny is not being harmed, you are just dialing it in.
2) Drain out as much as you can and replace with like amount of ATD.
3) Drive a few miles or a day or two use R and all the gears. Repeat 3-4 times.
4) Relax and enjoy.

Originally Posted By: Kindergardener
99, I envy your problem, I have been working hard with little success to improve the light hard shifting on my 99QX4 A/T,may be next time I will try Dex6.
Good luck,i'm going to dump some saw dust in mine!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
huh?

I meant that Whitewolf knows a lot more about Dexron-VI than all of us. You should take his advice seriously.

Thanks Critic and you PT1 but I think we are flogging a dead horse!
It obviously is not understood that ANY DEXRON-VI approved fluid would sail through the earlier DEXRON-III (H) requirements. In fact some even had that approval!

I have a case of Esso dexIII H i bought last year.Its getting changed today.Once i get funding(wifes approval)i'm buying the Amsoil and putting that in.Whitewolf what are your credentials in this area?You say just let it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back