98 Whirlpool Washer, Fix or Replace?

In 08 my grandparents gave us this set of 98 Whirlpool washer and dryer. So far over the years I've replaced the coupler and water inlet. It works but makes a terrible racket on spin, confident it's the clutch. The dryer works ok but maybe need to check the element as it doesn't seem to dry as good, but maybe that's the washer not spinning as it should. I can get a clutch for less than $10 and doesn't difficult, a new set of Whirlpools are over $1k. The other factor is the wife is grossed out by how the tub looks, it does look nasty. I might be able to get the pressure washer to it. I'm not worried about it but married guys you know how that goes. What would be forum consensus be in this scenario?

IMG_0159.jpg

Nebraska Furniture Mart in KC has two Whirlpools for $618 and $623 top loaders. Recommend you look at the 42 washers available there. We have always had good luck with Whirlpool washers.

Nebraska Furniture Mart in KC has two Whirlpools for $618 and $623 top loaders. Recommend you look at the 42 washers available there. We have always had good luck with Whirlpool washers.
Looking at the set at Lowes which is similar to the current ones. Capacity has never been a issue. Our NFM card might be a little maxed right now, the law of replacing appliances.

Honestly, I would get rid of it. I had a similar Whirlpool Washer. It had that coupling that you are talking about. I replaced it and it worked for a little while. It got to where it wouldn’t spin much water out of the clothes. It wasn’t worth the time and money to keep it running. I replaced it with a GE top loader with an agitator. It’s been flawless. Replace it with something that has a belt drive.

Money aside, you aren't going to buy anything decent, or of comparable quality to what you have for 1K/set.
Anything decent is going to be close to or at 2K/set.
So unless it is a total basket case, I'd fix it up. If the tub is especially gnarly and can't be cleaned, see if you can pick up a decent tub from a comparable washer.
I hang onto my circa 1994 Whirlpool range. Not because I can't afford to replace it.
I hang onto it because new appliances are all junk. As long as I can keep it going, that's the plan.

Honestly, I would get rid of it. I had a similar Whirlpool Washer. It had that coupling that you are talking about. I replaced it and it worked for a little while. It got to where it wouldn’t spin much water out of the clothes. It wasn’t worth the time and money to keep it running. I replaced it with a GE top loader with an agitator. It’s been flawless. Replace it with something that has a belt drive.
The coupler I replaced 2-5 years ago and seems ok. Good point on the agitator, I know the bottom agitates but don't think the top piece does. Not sure if it ever has or if it's broke.

Money aside, you aren't going to buy anything decent, or of comparable quality to what you have for 1K/set.
Anything decent is going to be close to or at 2K/set.
So unless it is a total basket case, I'd fix it up. If the tub is especially gnarly and can't be cleaned, see if you can pick up a decent tub from a comparable washer.
I hang onto my circa 1994 Whirlpool range. Not because I can't afford to replace it.
I hang onto it because new appliances are all junk. As long as I can keep it going, that's the plan.
NFM does have a Speedqueen set for around $2k and it has crossed my mind. They have a 25 year warranty.. but my thought was since this set is 24-25 years do we really need it?

Seems to be the consensus. We recently replaced a belt on a 1984 Whirlpool gas drying--likely the 2nd one, but I've had it since moving in 2002, so it was at least 20 years old. The dilemma is spending a lot of money and getting something that may need repairs in only 2-3 years. Imho if new appliances lasted 20 then absolutely replace when 20, because the price/20 savings per year isn't that much. But again if it breaks in 3 years...

+1 on the cheap and easy. If that doesn't cure it, you're not in it for much. That said, I don't own one of these and can't comment on the life of the repair.

You can clean the inside of the tub really easily. Any normal, household spray-on cleaner should work. I can't imagine needing a pressure washer to do the job.

One idea instead of a costly replacement pair is to look for slightly used ones, e.g., NextDoor, Craig's list, etc. I got a Speed Queen washing
machine maybe 3 years ago from a couple retiring to the N GA mountains and didn't need it. There is a website where you can check the date of a machine by plugging in the serial number and mfgr.

In 08 my grandparents gave us this set of 98 Whirlpool washer and dryer. So far over the years I've replaced the coupler and water inlet. It works but makes a terrible racket on spin, confident it's the clutch. The dryer works ok but maybe need to check the element as it doesn't seem to dry as good, but maybe that's the washer not spinning as it should. I can get a clutch for less than $10 and doesn't difficult, a new set of Whirlpools are over $1k. The other factor is the wife is grossed out by how the tub looks, it does look nasty. I might be able to get the pressure washer to it. I'm not worried about it but married guys you know how that goes. What would be forum consensus be in this scenario?

View attachment 133568
I have a Maytag Atlantis that is a little newer, but I keep fixing it. Parts are cheap and lots of YouTube videos to show you what to do.

Does it seem out of balance all the time as the reason it doesn't spin right? I had something similar and it turned out to be the plastic snubber ring and the bottom where the tub sits. It was all worn out (it is pretty much a plastic bearing). I replaced it and all the springs for like $50 and it works like new again.

NFM does have a Speedqueen set for around $2k and it has crossed my mind. They have a 25 year warranty.. but my thought was since this set is 24-25 years do we really need it?

I live in a custom home I had built with an apartment suite I rent out. I bought a Speed Queen washer when I was in my first house. Never had a problem with it, but I don't like it so it's in the suite. I have two washers and dryers in my home by design. Yes, I have 3 washers and dryers in my home.

Maytag Pet Pro and matching dryer with an LG front loader and matching dryer. The LG was my wife's choice so it can wash a cal-king comforter. The Maytag Pet Pro does the best job of any washer I've ever used, period. I know it won't last like the Speed Queen however.

If you want a reliable top loader, take a serious look at the Maytag commercial unit and buy direct from Maytag, NOT Lowes.

Youtube clip of my real life experience with a Speed Queen.

Educate yourself and also not shown in the video is that Maytag sells direct with and free shipping.

The coupler I replaced 2-5 years ago and seems ok. Good point on the agitator, I know the bottom agitates but don't think the top piece does. Not sure if it ever has or if it's broke.
GE uses dual action agitators and they are belt drive.
I believe that Whirlpool, Maytag, and other Whirlpool made washers moved away from those split couplings and went to belt drives. That speaks volumes about the drive systems using the coupling.
Don’t buy into the hype about the Speed Queen washers. Their load capacity is smaller than most other manufacturers. They don’t use dual action agitators. Therefore, they don’t pull the laundry down in the tub. Way overrated.
Whirlpool dryers with the top lint screen can get blocked with lint. The vent is wide and relatively narrow in depth. Before getting rid of the dryer, pull the lint screen and used compressed air or leaf blower to blow it out to the outside.

I live in a custom home I had built with an apartment suite I rent out. I bought a Speed Queen washer when I was in my first house. Never had a problem with it, but I don't like it so it's in the suite. I have two washers and dryers in my home by design. Yes, I have 3 washers and dryers in my home.

Maytag Pet Pro and matching dryer with an LG front loader and matching dryer. The LG was my wife's choice so it can wash a cal-king comforter. The Maytag Pet Pro does the best job of any washer I've ever used, period. I know it won't last like the Speed Queen however.

If you want a reliable top loader, take a serious look at the Maytag commercial unit and buy direct from Maytag, NOT Lowes.

Youtube clip of my real life experience with a Speed Queen.

Educate yourself and also not shown in the video is that Maytag sells direct with and free shipping.

Thank you! Proof that Speed Queen doesn’t cycle the laundry from top to bottom.

If you buy Speed Queen, you need to buy their TC model NOT TR.
The TC is their classic wash model which is the old school agitator.
The TR agitator is not moving just the tub.
At least that is my understanding.

I have a 1994 Whirlpool that is still running although the reaction time is slower.
For example, when changing to spin cycle, it hums for a minute or two before starting the cycle.
So I am still waiting to get new one.

If it's just the coupler, I'd fix it. My brother just fixed his. The old one was plastic, The new one is metal. Should last a long time.

Repair it. Parts are cheap and available. There’s plenty of YouTube videos that will show you how. One channel “Lorain Furniture” has a few videos refurbishing those old direct drives. No top load washer today, unless you buy the Maytag Commercial, or TC series Speed Queen is going to be as good as the one you already have.

Back