Replacing shocks in GE front load washer

Our GE front load washer knocks and bangs during spin if there are heavy things in it like towels. I believe there are 4 shocks I can replace and get it working better.

Anyone tried this and did it improve the spin cycle?

I know maybe a new washer,/dryer are on the horizon but things are backordered now and repair of the GE might get us through another 6 months.

Similar issue, but on a LG unit. I ordered the parts and plan to do the repair next week. Will let you know how it works out.

Front loaders are supposed to be great but I still prefer the top loader with center agitator.
not as stylish but I dont live in a desert. I also do the double rinse option.. oh the wasted water.
Inlaws went through 2 front loaders in
I wouldnt hold out hope that the shocks will fix it but if they are cheap enough go for it.

Shocks on front loaders wear out.

They’re not hard to replace.

If the spider and rest of the unit are good, they can extend the life of your machine.

If they’re ignored for too long-then those parts are worn out, too, and you’ll need a new machine.

My LG front loader is 14 years old.

Two shock replacements.

Works great.

Had a local shop refuse to order the shocks for me. Told me that the spider and everything was likely worn out.

Bought them on line.

I changed out the four shocks on my previous GE front loader about 10 years ago. The replacement was easy and it did improve operations for a while until the rear drum bearing got noisy and went bad. That was the end of that washer.

Give it a try if the shocks aren't too expensive. It may give you a few extra years on that unit. Shock absorbent pads under the legs work also help.

Aren't there also springs in addition to the shocks? As for the spider, it seems that using too much detergent wears them out prematurely. And people use more than recommended by the detergent manufacturer and even they recommended too much.

I did the four shocks on a GE front load years ago after it shook so bad it disconnected the main wiring harness. The washer worked great for 4 more years.

It was a easy job and the new shocks were redesigned and seemed stronger.

Aren't there also springs in addition to the shocks? As for the spider, it seems that using too much detergent wears them out prematurely. And people use more than recommended by the detergent manufacturer and even they recommended too much.
Which is why I’m an advocate for pods.

For front loaders, while there is a tub seal for the outer tub and the drive spider/support, the seal is for the motor. The bearing is still exposed to the wash. Laundry detergent is a semi-aggressive surfactant and will dilute greases.

Which is why I’m an advocate for pods.

For front loaders, while there is a tub seal for the outer tub and the drive spider/support, the seal is for the motor. The bearing is still exposed to the wash. Laundry detergent is a semi-aggressive surfactant and will dilute greases.
Regular detergent is better. Then you can decide to add more or less depending on the load. It's hard to read the measuring cups that the bottles come with, better to get a dedicated one that's easier to read.

I did the four shocks on a GE front load years ago after it shook so bad it disconnected the main wiring harness. The washer worked great for 4 more years.

It was a easy job and the new shocks were redesigned and seemed stronger.
Did you buy OEM shocks or aftermarket? Can save some $$ with aftermarket. Only trying to get a few more years not another 10 or 20.

Front loaders are supposed to be great but I still prefer the top loader with center agitator.
not as stylish but I dont live in a desert. I also do the double rinse option.. oh the wasted water.
I wouldnt hold out hope that the shocks will fix it but if they are cheap enough go for it.
It's not the wasted water but the wasted water which was heated.

I prefer the top loader .

It's not the wasted water but the wasted water which was heated.
I have a heat pump water heater. start the greenwashing. :LOL:

Most loads i start on warm get the soap dissolved then switch to cold.. so very little hot water use.

Although most of my hot water is near free since I would be running a dehumidifier 9 months of the year
if I didnt have the water heater to do it for me.

I have a heat pump water heater. start the greenwashing. :LOL:

Most loads i start on warm get the soap dissolved then switch to cold.. so very little hot water use.

Although most of my hot water is near free since I would be running a dehumidifier 9 months of the year
if I didnt have the water heater to do it for me.
lol..Indeed. IJS the premise behind a FL washer is that is requires less heated water rather than saving on total water used. Obviously using less water overall is a side benefit in arid regions. Of course that's doesn't help for people who live in homes where the HWH is on the opposite side of the house in the garage or basement.

I came across this post while trying to replace my own dampers on my GE model. 3 out of the 4 clips that attach my dampers to the drum have snapped off. When I look up the OEM parts, it looks like I have to buy a whole new damper—no way to just get the connecting piece. At $70/piece, I’m not sure it’s worth it?

For a quick and temporary fix, I decided to thread zip ties through the clip housing and the two slots at each connection point on the drum. Anyone have suggestions for how I could reattach these in another way? Last photo is of the only one still connected.
IMG_5472.jpeg

IMG_5479.jpeg

IMG_5481.jpeg

IMG_5473.jpeg

Back