98 V70 Tailgate Latch Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
One day last week, the tailgate just stopped latching. First time ever in 14 yrs. I had experienced problems with it rattling before and wrapped the 'hook' in tape, which helped though it was a bit gummy.

A search revealed it's a common problem with the general solution being 'replace the latch', which is ~ $160. I decided to remove it and have a look.

Previously, I'd removed the interior tailgate panel due to rattles. Even the 'fix kit' failed. The lock is held in with three large Torx bolts and is easy to remove.

Here's the visible side of the latch:
IMG_6932_zps4aa7a861.jpg

The 'gate' refused to latch in the closed position. I pushed it all the way up and it would just slide down. I thought perhaps a spring had broken internally.

Here's the back side with the actuator removed:
IMG_6933_zps6e53d9dd.jpg

After a close-up inspection and fiddling around with the various pieces, I still couldn't understand what was going on. The 'gate' shown in Photo 1 is buried down inside the upper part of photo 2. Very hard to see down in there.

So I resigned myself to grind off the heads of the rivets holding the lower piece together. After taking a punch to the rivet stems to punch them out, they remained. I didn't even budge them. This photo shows where I ground them off:
IMG_6934_zps8f84711f.jpg

I was about to grind off the other side, so I picked the thing up, turned it over to inspect and fiddled with it a bit. Then I heard a 'click'!?

Now it was working properly again!! It would latch at the top and remain so. I spent some time cleaning out dirt and lubing the contact points. I was tempted to set the whole thing into a pan of degreaser, but the latch indicator switch, buried in the bottom, I couldn't figure out how to remove. The alarm/remote lock needs this to verify all doors are closed before it'll engage, so I didn't want to risk 'drowning it'.

I then reinstalled it, hooked it all back up, and it worked fine. However, the tailgate was very loose now after removing all the tape from the bar attached to the lower latch.

I'd never needed to adjust this before, so off came the plastic interior covering the door latch. Breaking loose the two large Torx bolts was indeed a challenge. I wound up using a small pipe wrench clamped onto the shaft of the Torx screwdriver. The vice-grips I tried wouldn't hold firmly.

I removed the door latch, cleaned all the dirt out, then slid it all the way aft and retightened. The door didn't have as much play, but it was still loose.

Rather than wrap the metal pin with layers of sticky duct tape as before, I cut a section of blue thick-walled silicone vac hose and used that. Then wrapped it tightly with stretched black electrical tape. This was much better, but a bit loose.

IMG_6935_zps89dc2032.jpg

Then I remembered I had on hand some 3M self-adhering silicone electrical wrap. I added a couple layers of it on top of the tape and waited a few minutes for it to adhere to itself.

Upon closing the tailgate, it held firm, tight & quiet. I just saved myself ~ $160 and took the time to clean this area up.

Now I need a way to SECURELY attach the inner tailgate trim panel so it won't rattle. Any ideas?

BTW, I've used silicone grease on plastic-to-plastic trim contacts to quiet noise & squeeking. Caig MCL also works great. I sprayed a quick shot into a film can and used a q-tip to apply where needed. Doesn't take much and very slippery.

Check out IPD - tailgate trim rattle is common in the model, they have a kit with new clips/retainers...

Nice job on the latch!

Cheers

Did that several years ago using the Volvo kit. Even those clips broke after enough tailgate closures and Tx heat. Guess I need a bag of new clips to redo them all.

Thanks &
cheers3.gif
back to you!

I had a few after finishing up. Only in Tx is it 90° & humid in late Oct!

That's hilarious. I used the old "bike inner tube and electrical tape" fix on the latch. Your fix seems more permanent! My latch started giving me trouble after about 120K. I just sprayed in some compressed air and some Kroil and that always took care of it.

As far as the tailgate, I can't really recommend my own fix, which is the "fix of last resort": Gorilla Glue and clamps. It worked great, but you'll be buying new trim pieces if you ever need to open it up. I pulled it apart when I got the car (I was sticking sound dampening material and foam in there) and I couldn't get it to stop rattling, even with the kit. Gluing it in place took care of the problem permanently. I warned the guy who bought my car to keep the latch clean and lubed, because he'd never be able to remove it.

Very resourceful on that latch, sleddriver!

FWIW, we keep a bag of tailgate panel clips on hand at all times.

If they don't fracture from normal wear and tear, half of them break every time you need to pull the panel. It's a known weakness. But considering things, it's small potatoes.

The sheet metal anchor fix for the panel side does work, though.

I've seen hackers put drywall screws through the panels to keep them attached. Don't do that.

Originally Posted By: JOD
That's hilarious. I used the old "bike inner tube and electrical tape" fix on the latch. Your fix seems more permanent! My latch started giving me trouble after about 120K. I just sprayed in some compressed air and some Kroil and that always took care of it.

As far as the tailgate, I can't really recommend my own fix, which is the "fix of last resort": Gorilla Glue and clamps. It worked great, but you'll be buying new trim pieces if you ever need to open it up. I pulled it apart when I got the car (I was sticking sound dampening material and foam in there) and I couldn't get it to stop rattling, even with the kit. Gluing it in place took care of the problem permanently. I warned the guy who bought my car to keep the latch clean and lubed, because he'd never be able to remove it.

Inner tube...that's a good idea. Weatherstrip adhesive ought to stick to it well. I was originally thinking of hard poly tubing. I was hunting for it when I spied the silicone vac hose. It's pretty tough and allows enough cushion to take up any slack. We'll see.

Gorilla glue, eh? Yea, that's one (permanent) way. About like construction adhesive. HD velcro might also work, with slip or fur tape between all plastic-to-plastic contact points. For now, I leave it off.

I've stuffed the tailgate open metal cavities with dense, thick foam to cut down on noise, as wagons tend to be noiser than the sedans. I did a complete noise treatment to the previous SAAB. Made a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back