98 V70 ABS Module Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
After my successful (so far) extinguishing of the CEL due to a very persistent P0455 EVAP code, I decided to press on with the ABS light that had also been staring me in the face far too long.

Years ago, I split the case, and fixed numerous cold/poor soldered pin joints. That would do it for awhile, then the ABS light would remind me there was more to do. I worked on it again, the light would go off for about 6 months, then come back on. I knew my solder joints were good, so something else was amiss.

Pulling the module this time was GREATLY exacerbated by one E5 bolt with a stripped head. I cut a slot across it using a diamond wheel + Moto-tool combination, but it wouldn't budge! Broke 3 screwdriver tips. So I went back with a ball-end carbide tool, and just ground off the entire head. Royal PITA due to the nearly upside location. My back still hurts just thinking about it.....

Persistence paid off however, and this is what I found after splitting the case:
ABS%20Module%20003_zpsfhjhlgpt.jpg

Bottom left hand corner, you see three pins in-a-line. Except the middle one is just a hole. So ignoring it, notice the difference between the left & right ones. Those funny little shiny bits and that dark circle under the left pin, stand out in contrast. Notice you don't see these characteristics on the right pin. I certainly didn't leave it that way last time.

So what's going on here?

Here's another angle:
ABS%20Module%20005_zpsdv6avdeq.jpg

The problem is that the pad underneath this pin is far too small, resulting in the angle between the board & pin, being too high. IOW, ATE greatly undersized these pads for such a long, thick pin, responsible for carrying the current for the ABS system motor. The solution is to greatly enlarge the size of the pad, giving a better contact area, and lowering the angle.

So out came the Moto-tool and a tiny chisel to scrape off the board etch-resist, to expose more copper underneath:
ABS%20Module%20008_zpsoqxo64eu.jpg

The next step was to take a hot well-tinned iron, and "wet" the raw copper to tin it. Then to heat the large pin enough so that solder would adhere to it and the pad and form a strong "cone" shape, to reinforce this joint:
ABS%20Module%20010_zpsir7amwfw.jpg

After it cooled, I cleaned the flux off with ethanol, glued the case back together, let it cure overnight and installed it this morning. Result? No more ABS light!!

Sure is nice having the sled's dashboard extinguished of idiot lights!! Hopefully, this fix will last longer than six months.

As a side-note, I originally hoped that Volvo + ATE would step up and recall these ABS controllers, as thousands upon thousands of them soon failed due to poor construction and hairline cracks. Unfortunately, they did not. So much for 'safety'.

Evidently, these ABS controller faults are not at all limited to Volvos, since other European manufacturers used ATE controllers as well.

Finally, it's interesting that while earning my EE degree from a major university, I never had to learn to solder! Yet over the past 30+ years, I've found numerous faults that were due to hairline solder cracks, cold soldered joints and here, undersized pads + poor soldered joints. When lead-free solder emerged, the problems were magnified as LF requires much higher heat in order to form a normal joint, much less to a large pin, carrying significant current, that controls a motor as critical as an ABS system motor.

Go figure.....

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
After my successful (so far) extinguishing of the CEL due to a very persistent P0455 EVAP code, I decided to press on with the ABS light that had also been staring me in the face far too long.

Years ago, I split the case, and fixed numerous cold/poor soldered pin joints. That would do it for awhile, then the ABS light would remind me there was more to do. I worked on it again, the light would go off for about 6 months, then come back on. I knew my solder joints were good, so something else was amiss.

Pulling the module this time was GREATLY exacerbated by one E5 bolt with a stripped head. I cut a slot across it using a diamond wheel + Moto-tool combination, but it wouldn't budge! Broke 3 screwdriver tips. So I went back with a ball-end carbide tool, and just ground off the entire head. Royal PITA due to the nearly upside location. My back still hurts just thinking about it.....

Persistence paid off however, and this is what I found after splitting the case:

Bottom left hand corner, you see three pins in-a-line. Except the middle one is just a hole. So ignoring it, notice the difference between the left & right ones. Those funny little shiny bits and that dark circle under the left pin, stand out in contrast. Notice you don't see these characteristics on the right pin. I certainly didn't leave it that way last time.

So what's going on here?

Here's another angle:

The problem is that the pad underneath this pin is far too small, resulting in the angle between the board & pin, being too high. IOW, ATE greatly undersized these pads for such a long, thick pin, responsible for carrying the current for the ABS system motor. The solution is to greatly enlarge the size of the pad, giving a better contact area, and lowering the angle.

So out came the Moto-tool and a tiny chisel to scrape off the board etch-resist, to expose more copper underneath:

The next step was to take a hot well-tinned iron, and "wet" the raw copper to tin it. Then to heat the large pin enough so that solder would adhere to it and the pad and form a strong "cone" shape, to reinforce this joint:

After it cooled, I cleaned the flux off with ethanol, glued the case back together, let it cure overnight and installed it this morning. Result? No more ABS light!!

Sure is nice having the sled's dashboard extinguished of idiot lights!! Hopefully, this fix will last longer than six months.

As a side-note, I originally hoped that Volvo + ATE would step up and recall these ABS controllers, as thousands upon thousands of them soon failed due to poor construction and hairline cracks. Unfortunately, they did not. So much for 'safety'.

Evidently, these ABS controller faults are not at all limited to Volvos, since other European manufacturers used ATE controllers as well.

Finally, it's interesting that while earning my EE degree from a major university, I never had to learn to solder! Yet over the past 30+ years, I've found numerous faults that were due to hairline solder cracks, cold soldered joints and here, undersized pads + poor soldered joints. When lead-free solder emerged, the problems were magnified as LF requires much higher heat in order to form a normal joint, much less to a large pin, carrying significant current, that controls a motor as critical as an ABS system motor.

Go figure.....
You ought to be able to take the load off that circuit with a relay or a power FET. I wouldn't want to be inviting spikes back into that controller. Not impressed with the design.

Wow good job if it worked if that was me trying to fix that board i would be looking for a new one because i would probably destroyed it trying to fix it.. Im not good at all in repairing boards.

I've rebuilt a number of boards for my son's BMW 633 CSI project and had to deal with fried lands. I use copper stick on foil sold by Wally World for assembly of stained glass trimmed to fit. Kester or Caig Labs rosin based soldering paste (not the plumbing stuff) is a great help getting good flow on trashed connections. My neighbor is a EE who has to bring his soldering jobs to the lawyer next door with the ham license.
smile.gif
He's wicked good at math, though.

Fortunately for me, I was well acquainted with the art of soldering well before college. It's a lot like painting: It's all in the prep. If this cracks over time, then I'll suck it off, wrap it in pre-tinned wire-wrap wire, then re-solder.

I too have an amateur radio license. Extra class. When I built a 2M copper j-pole (cactus jack)a couple of decades ago, I used MAPP gas to sweat it together and adjustable copper straps so I could tune it for lowest SWR. Amazing the reach I get out of it with a handy talkie!

The devil is INDEED in the details.....

I did something like this many years ago with my 1968 VW SquareBack with electronic fuel injection. I found a bad solder joint that was causing an occasion miss. Unfortunately; today, at 77 years old, my steady hand and eye sight doesn't allow that kind of work. Ed

Fortunately for me, I was well acquainted with the art of soldering well before college. It's a lot like painting: It's all in the prep. If this cracks over time, then I'll suck it off, wrap it in pre-tinned wire-wrap wire, then re-solder.

I too have an amateur radio license. Extra class. When I built a 2M copper j-pole (cactus jack)a couple of decades ago, I used MAPP gas to sweat it together and adjustable copper straps so I could tune it for lowest SWR. Amazing the reach I get out of it with a handy talkie! I'm using a little Wahl butane torch for Pl 259s now, it even does a good melt on the braid/ug adaptor joint.

The devil is INDEED in the details.....

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I did something like this many years ago with my 1968 VW SquareBack with electronic fuel injection. I found a bad solder joint that was causing an occasion miss. Unfortunately; today, at 77 years old, my steady hand and eye sight doesn't allow that kind of work. Ed
I had the FI box on my '71 Volvo 142E open to add a mixture control pot many years ago. Things have gotten a lot smaller since. I did have a spare box just in case.

I recall there is some entity on the internet who does nothing but fixes the Volvo ABS module. Somebody had given his reference to our dearly departed GHT for his Volvo.

thats how i fix them too.
seems most i see have a fracture where it detaches from the pad.widening the pad makes the fix last.i also use 2% silver solder.none have came back.
one would think telefunken would know better.thats that logo lower right of the repair.

So what's going on here?

Here's another angle:

Go figure.....

If they can force dodge to put trailer hitches on 1993 Jeep Cherokees to protect them from rear-enders even though they were originally certified safe wtihout them, they can force Volvo to fix these stupid ABS controllers.

Is this the typical failure mode for these? I just picked up a clean '05 s60 and at the moment everything works! But at 108k, I know the chances are the module will throw a light sooner or later.

(Cheers, I'm a technician class ham.....)

-Meep

In my cars generation, 1998, yes...thousands upon thousands of these all have the same fault. Built by ATE for several Euro manufacturers, they all suffered the same fate.

Bosch also built ABS controllers used by some, so these faults don't apply to them.

Given your '05, hopefully they got them sorted by then.

73!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If they can force dodge to put trailer hitches on 1993 Jeep Cherokees to protect them from rear-enders even though they were originally certified safe wtihout them, they can force Volvo to fix these stupid ABS controllers.

Volvo is a different company now. They are no longer part of Ford, they are Chinese, so in the DOT and NHTSA's eyes they can do no wrong.

I had one recall on my 04 S60R, got a new fuel pump for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back