98 Ford Explorer, synth or dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who recently purchased a 98 Ford Explorer with the 4.0L SOHC V6 and 86K miles on the clock; he doesn't know what oil had been used in it but he assumes dino. No oil issues at present.

He would like your opinions on whether it would be OK to run synthetic oil in it and if he were to do so, would it be OK to switch back to dino at a later date should the need arise. He's concerned about leaks and/or oil consumption if he switches from one oil type to the other and back.
confused.gif

I told him that it would be OK on both counts and I suggested M1 10W-30. I think he drives about 300 miles/week mostly highway. He's used to changing dino oil every 5-6K miles.

Thanks for any and all replies.

[ July 16, 2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Blokey ]

If he has no oil issues, particularly if it doesn't burn oil, there is no problem with going to synthetics...and there should be no problem if he wants to switch back, although given the intervals he likes to run (5-6K) I wouldn't use anything BUT synthetic. I would recommend he run some Auto Rx through it.

[ July 16, 2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I've got about 85K miles on my 97 Expedition, and switched to Mobil 1 about a month ago (was using dino). Have not seen one drop of oil leaking from anywhere - my engine is nearly spotless, and I can see any leakes easily. Plus, I park in the exact same spot every night, and no oil drops are under the truck.

IMHO, if his truck doesn't leak now, it won't after he switches.

Thanks for the replies!

My buddy is kind of old school when it comes to synthetics, I told him his concerns about switching oils (leaks and oil burning) are unfounded, they're just old wives tales.

He's also, shall I say "frugal", so I'm trying to convince him to try Auto-Rx (I mean he keeps dino oil in his car for 5-6K miles!!). His concern about switching back to dino after synth is if it should ever become a cost issue. He'll be checking the board to see what kind of results you guys, the experts, get using Auto-Rx (he won't just take my word for it).
rolleyes.gif

(BTW - I know he'll be reading this, I know he's a good natured dude!)
cheers.gif

He could try running a good diesel oil for a year
like Delvac 1 to cleanse out the varnish, but at $28/gallon, if he's that frugal, there's no way he'll buy it. It's so expensive, it's almost like drugs for your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back