'98 Dodge Viper filter OEM or synthetic filter

I'm trying to decide whether to use the OEM filter which looks similar to a jobber grade WIX or to buy a synthetic filter like a Fram Titanium, Amsoil/RP, or Napa Platinum/WIX XP. I know the Fram and Champion based designs are finer filtering vs the WIX/Napa types but I am not sure what the flow requirements are from the original I also want to make sure the construction using the leaf springs/nylon combo valve will be adequate given that the OEM does use these and other high pressure applications such as Cummins diesels (if I remember correctly) causes Fram themselves construct their filters using non combo leaf spring bypass valve. I don't intend to drive her very hard, very fast, or extremely long distances between oil changes (probably doing one a year and under 5k miles). Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm trying to decide whether to use the OEM filter which looks similar to a jobber grade WIX or to buy a synthetic filter like a Fram Titanium, Amsoil/RP, or Napa Platinum/WIX XP. I know the Fram and Champion based designs are finer filtering vs the WIX/Napa types but I am not sure what the flow requirements are from the original I also want to make sure the construction using the leaf springs/nylon combo valve will be adequate given that the OEM does use these and other high pressure applications such as Cummins diesels (if I remember correctly) causes Fram themselves construct their filters using non combo leaf spring bypass valve. I don't intend to drive her very hard, very fast, or extremely long distances between oil changes (probably doing one a year and under 5k miles). Any advice would be appreciated.
Is this the SRT HEMI filter or is it a different part #?

Overkill, I thought there was a SRT filter for this generation but I must have been wrong as it appears to be just a MO-090 which is actually a Purolator design used in the LH 3.5 among other models.

Brian, I just bought it. She has 35k currently. The manual claims a standard mileage range of 3k/3 months on mobil 1 which from what I have been told is more often than necessary by the people on the Viper forums ( at least concerning the time period).

Overkill, I thought there was a SRT filter for this generation but I must have been wrong as it appears to be just a MO-090 which is actually a Purolator design used in the LH 3.5 among other models.

Brian, I just bought it. She has 35k currently. The manual claims a standard mileage range of 3k/3 months on mobil 1 which from what I have been told is more often than necessary by the people on the Viper forums ( at least concerning the time period).
OK, so, there's a twist here!

The PH16 (FRAM version):
Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 5.32.57 PM.jpg

Crosses to the Fleetguard LF689
Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 5.34.07 PM.jpg

Which indicates it's a shorter version of the LF3313:
Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 5.35.11 PM.jpg

Which indicates it has a Synthetic media upgrade available in the form of the LF3487:
Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 5.36.06 PM.jpg

This filter would have the Cummins/Fleetguard premium Stratapore synthetic media.

The only caveat of course is whether it will fit, because it's 5.4" long.

Use any filter that is catalogued for your engine.

I prefer synth media and silicone ADBV's. Oversized is an option if it fits. I wonder if there is an engine movement or clearance problem since dodge recommended a short filter for a big gas guzzler engine.

I'm trying to decide whether to use the OEM filter which looks similar to a jobber grade WIX or to buy a synthetic filter like a Fram Titanium, Amsoil/RP, or Napa Platinum/WIX XP. I know the Fram and Champion based designs are finer filtering vs the WIX/Napa types but I am not sure what the flow requirements are from the original
All of those aftermarket filters are most likely going to "flow better" (meaning less dP across the filter - not actually "flow more oil") than the OEM filter. Oil filters do not "flow more oil" because they are less flow restrictive - reason is because a positive displacement oil pump is used to supply oil to the engine.

Okay, I ended up going with the new fram endurance filter. Thank you all for your input. It seemed to be the best of filtering efficiency, construction quality, flow, and price. Thank you all for your input.

Back