98 Camry busted oil drain plug

Had a 90 Camry XLE with the 2.2L and sold it with 240,xxx still running real good. Routine maintenance for 20 years and no major issues. Im sure somebody is still driving that 5 speed around getting good gas mileage and still being very reliable as a daily driver.

Roof and trunk have clear coat separation. Gonna be $600 to sand and shoot. Goes in tomorrow.
Left to do: valve cover gasket, service AT and diff 1 more time, plugs, flush brake fluid.
Oh yeah, car is going to Sacramento. Better top off AC. I hate the Central Valley.
Then I'm about done.

MVIMG_20200527_153005.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Roof and trunk have clear coat separation. Gonna be $600 to sand and shoot. Goes in tomorrow.
Left to do: valve cover gasket, service AT and diff 1 more time, plugs, flush brake fluid.
Oh yeah, car is going to Sacramento. Better top off AC. I hate the Central Valley.
Then I'm about done.

Have them blend a little into the rear quarter panels and sail panels. My Camry, while burgundy, has identical paint issues. Roof and trunk lid, but it's creeping onto the sail panels and quarter panels.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

Have them blend a little into the rear quarter panels and sail panels. My Camry, while burgundy, has identical paint issues. Roof and trunk lid, but it's creeping onto the sail panels and quarter panels.

Thanks. The guy I use is top notch. This is his cheap way; stripping and going from there is best, bun not appropriate for this car.
Alex will make it great.

The new owners are excited.

I dunno, for a cheapo car I don't think I'd spend the money on paint. [Oh wait--I haven't!] Still, I wonder how good it'll look, a bit of effort and it may look new from 10 or so feet, and that should be good enough for most folks. And last all the longer too.

Originally Posted by supton
I dunno, for a cheapo car I don't think I'd spend the money on paint. [Oh wait--I haven't!] Still, I wonder how good it'll look, a bit of effort and it may look new from 10 or so feet, and that should be good enough for most folks. And last all the longer too.

Agreed. Just wanna do the best I can for them.
A little dignity ain't a bad thing. All good.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Then I'm about done.

Plugs, then the AT and DIff flush - AGAIN sound like way over kill.

You said it drive and runs good. I wouldn't keep messing with it when its well enough.

My Wife use to call me "****", she said I would keep "dicking around" with things until I BROKE them.

I agree there is more than a little OCD going around this forum.

As a recovering lubrication OCD patient,

I am here to help you with our new 3 Step program:

1) Close the Hood

2) Go Inside

3) Make a nice lunch.

- Ken

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

As a recovering lubrication OCD patient,

I am here to help you with our new 3 Step program:

1) Close the Hood

2) Go Inside

3) Make a nice lunch.

- Ken

Point well taken.
I am doing these things for 2 reasons:
I inspected the car.
I want to deliver it as complete as I can as cheap insurance. I know they don't have a lotta scratch...
I kinda hope I never see it again, cuz that would mean it had troubles.

Well that's 3... Never said I could count as I am a product of CA education.
I am a member of the original 12 Step Program. 33 years.

Last edited:
You are fine JK....

You just want to make sure everything is 100% ...

I think what you are doing is quite awesome.

Originally Posted by bbhero
You are fine JK....

You just want to make sure everything is 100% ...

I think what you are doing is quite awesome.

Not that fine...
I just squirted ATF onto my face while sucking out the PS fluid.
Had the cheapo HF hand pump on backwards.
TG for reading glasses.
Time to slow down a little I guess. Ha!

bbhero said:
You are fine JK..
I just squirted ATF onto my face while sucking out the PS fluid.
Had the cheapo HF hand pump on backwards.
TG for reading glasses.
Time to slow down a little I guess. Ha!

When I'm heading out the door I put on Rx safety glasses that wrap tight to the face … they are photo grey too.
Between things like you mentioned, better sun block, CV19, and just keeping the dust from your eyes … it works for me.
Also keeps scratches off my nicer glasses …

This car is a personal gift, not a donation to Goodwill, and as a gift should look presentable... Plus you keep a good body painter in business, for when you really need him.

I took care of my Mom, I know a great caregiver is priceless, so I'm fully on board with all you're doing.

And to not replace fluids... am I on BITOG, or not?

Cost Totals:
Purchase $1,000.00
New Tires and Alignment $450.00
Paint Roof and Trunk $600.00
Rock Auto Parts - Valve Cover Gasket, Plugs, etc $80.00
Valvoline Syn 5w30 Oil, Fram XG Filter, Trans Fluid $70.00
Smog Check $70.00

Total: $2,270.00

Services:
Denso Air filter
NGK Spark Plugs, OE Double Ground
Fel Pro Valve Cover Gasket
Service Transmission (2 times) and Differential
Check nut behind wheel
Service Power Steering Fluid
Inspect Brakes - maybe 70% left - Akebono Pads
Leather Steering Wheel Cover
Polish Headlights
Oil and Filter Change

Family picks up car tomorrow. They are excited.
I might top off AC; Sac is hotter than blazes.

Last edited:
Back