98 Camry busted oil drain plug

On Sunday I picked up a 98 Camry LE 4 banger, 199K for $1,000.
Single owner, regularly serviced by local shop in Petaluma CA.
I am going over it for a needy family.
Tires and alignment made it ride and steer like new!
Starting an oil change, I found a weird plug. At first I thought it was an oversize plug used to band aid stripped pan threads.
As it turns out, it is used for an easy drain function - put a connector (hose maybe?) to open the check valve.
It installed in nice and easy which gave me confidence in the pan threads.
But it would not torque beyond finger tight. It backed out easy, leaving the shank recessed in the pan.
Luckily a pencil magnet spun it out...

Why people why?
Anyways, I have a valve cover gasket and spark plugs on order; will spill and fill the AT one more time, then I'm done.
Unless they wanna fix the clear coat damage on the roof and trunk.
I am trying to keep my investment to under $2K.

IMG_20200526_111555.jpg

Last edited:
You seem to be asking a lot from a 22 year old car with 200k miles. Hopefully you get it straightened out.

Originally Posted by buddylpal
You seem to be asking a lot from a 22 year old car with 200k miles. Hopefully you get it straightened out.

A new M12x1.25 drain plug and all is well. These Camrys with the 2.2L engine are 300K cars.

FYI, the family bought a vehicle from a dealership for like $11K; all the money they had in the world.
It's junk; didn't last a year. This car will serve them for a couple years at least.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

A new M12x1.25 drain plug and all is well. These Camrys with the 2.2L engine are 300K cars.

FYI, the family bought a vehicle from a dealership for like $11K; all the money they had in the world.
It's junk; didn't last a year. This car will serve them for a couple years at least.

Totally agree Jeff ^^^^^

My lady's 98 Camry le had only 66k miles on it when we got it... It was my lady's grandmother's car. Extremely well maintained. Now car has 169k miles after we have had it 6 years. A very, very good car. Only issue was power steering rack went out. But that was 3 years ago.

I'd bet the car you have will last minimum 300k miles... And likely more.

And a very good thing you are doing for those people.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I'd bet the car you have will last minimum 300k miles... And likely more.

And a very good thing you are doing for those people.

Especially in the California climate. It'll run darn near forever.

And I'll throw in my own thank you to the OP for helping the less fortunate.

OP, Question the new owner about their knowledge regarding the importance of changing the oil and oil filter.

Also ask them what would they do if they were driving the vehicle and the oil light came on. Unfortunately even if you tell them what to do, often telling someone who has zero knowledge of how an ICE works will have such information go in one ear and out the other. I have seen people drive vehicles until they would not run and then only when questioned tell people that the oil light has been on for days.

You may set them up with something that will run for years, and many many miles, but if they do not take minimum care of it, it could be junk in a short time.

BTW, I applaud you for helping out others. It is actions like yours and people like you that make this country great. Thank you.

I love reading helping hand stories like this one. Someday you will be rewarded for this.
I am curious thou! What vehicle / model did they buy for $11K that went sour quickly?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I am curious thou! What vehicle / model did they buy for $11K that went sour quickly?

One of those box things... Dunno. They just told me it was junk and they are not interested in putting more $$ into it.
They live in Sacramento; I am in Silicon Valley so I haven't seen it. And I don't want to.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA

BTW, I applaud you for helping out others. It is actions like yours and people like you that make this country great. Thank you.

I had a home care giver, Lolomani who cared for my father for over 4 years.
Mani allowed my Dad to live in his own home until he died and I was able to keep working.
I live and worked close; I was there every day.

I owe Mani a lot; my father was not a nice man...
This is for her niece's family. I don't know if I have met them.

I told Mani there would be something for her if she stayed until the end.
My sister and I agreed to a cash severance and I was able to help her with a new car.
Again, I owe her a lot. This is nothing.

Last edited:
Good on you.

Just watch out for oil leaks. The oil pump on these can spring a leak and decide to pump oil out of the engine. Ok, bit strong on that one, but they certainly can be leakers.

These Camrys are tanks.

There's these half moon metal things (don't know the real name) that you pop out when doing the valve cover gasket, need some RTV to reseal them.

Check the rubber stuff. My PCV valve hose was kinda melted and the intake hose broke from the heat drying it out (resonator hose on intake too).

To piggyback on another comment, at this mileage you might want to do the oil pump o-ring, along with the timing belt, water pump and front seals. The oil pump o-ring usually goes bad at high mileages and will leak like a sieve. The timing belt is in the way and the water pump is just there. I had to do this seal on my 95 camry at 160k or so.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
To piggyback on another comment, at this mileage you might want to do the oil pump o-ring, along with the timing belt, water pump and front seals. The oil pump o-ring usually goes bad at high mileages and will leak like a sieve. The timing belt is in the way and the water pump is just there. I had to do this seal on my 95 camry at 160k or so.

Thanks 007. The timing belt service was done 5K miles ago.
After replacing the valve cover gasket and dropping in a set of plugs, this thing is ready to roll.

Knew a woman that cooked and cleaned for a family for over 15 years. They retired to Costa Rica. Left her an extremely generous amount of money and a RX330 Lexus with around 60,000 miles. I love these stories and the ones where we serve those that have served and random acts of kindness. I'm leaving mine to three little girls not related to me, a German Shepherd / Doberman rescue shelter and some to the maid. Thinking about putting some into a savings to help low income veterans with auto repairs at Honda dealerships too. Glad that Camry is getting the help it needs to help someone in need.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Much thanks to you for helping the less fortunate. So much truth to the phrase people like you make the world a better place.

Amen !

Thanks for all the kind words, but please understand it is Mani and those like her that make the world a better place.
I have learned so much from her.

Most basic Sedan will go for 250-300K.

But along the way will need struts, swaybar links and bushings, CV joints, Catalytic converters, exhaust, Water pump, battery , Brakes, brakes, brakes, brakes, brakes, transaxle mounts.
I know this wher I used to work, a bunch of assemblers had Camry and they were always on Rock Auto ordering parts. and I let them use my production floor PC to stream youtube howto videos during their breaks.
Odd that most people wont go to this length for brands other than Toyota and Honda - then call them "throw away" instead!.

But people fix up the Camrys and Hondas.

Where is the love for Buick Skylarks and Chevy Celebritys and Ford Tempos ?

Better driving and riding cars IMHO.

JK, Good show fixing up the car for the Family!

But What car died and what was wrong with it? More than 2G to fix?

Up near here ( actually, Lawrence, MA ) we have a community garage where those with limited money go to get thier car fixed or fix it themselves.
It like a shad tree free-for -all with help and knowledge sharing.
You could do a engine swap with a boneyard motor in one evening and one morning. cheap. and get a hand with the hard parts.

Too much Accord slamming going on though and taking up space. That's not priority #1 but its a culture thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
But What car died and what was wrong with it? More than 2G to fix?

I think I mentioned that I don't know much about the other car; they tried to get it fixed and are disgusted. The dealer was of little help as well.
I forgot what it is; I believe they told me but as the family is Tongan their English, while better than my Tongan, can be hard for me to understand.
They live in Sacramento and I live in Silicon Valley.

I am aware that cars have wear items. The car I bought has good bones.
I know the previous owner who bought it new. I have service receipts. Top notch services at a pro shop.

I was asked to help with a quality solution. My 1st question was about the current vehicle.
The Camry will serve them for a few years at minimal cost. All good.

OK, gonna give it a quick warsh and show it to Mani later today. Dang thing runs and drives like new!
Sue told me to keep it and give 'em my GS... Sheesh.

Last edited:
Back