96 Pontiac Sunfire, Exxon Superflo 10w-30 w/ Maxlife Engine Protector, 3839 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the sixth run of this oil/weight in this engine. 8 ounces of Maxlife Engine protector was added at the beginning of this interval. Air filter was changed in beginning of interval to Napa Gold air filter. Second UOA on this car. Driving conditions were 50/50 city and highway. Work is 3.7 miles away and 3.7 miles back home. Multiple starts a day. Oil changed with same oil/weight and 8 ounces of maxlife engine protector. I got the maxlife engine protector free after rebate. When I received free maxlife last year, they sent me $3 coupons to try their new maxlife engine protector. You can buy at walmart for 2.94 a bottle. No fuel additives used. Comparison of first and second oil analysis listed below. Same lab. Sample taken when 1/2 oil drained. Only thing changed from this sample to last is use of Maxlife engine protector and Napa gold air filter and a 700 mile longer interval.

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L/110804 miles
Exxon superflo 10w-30
3839 miles
Oil Capacity 4 qts
Make up oil 1 quart
Napa gold air filter
Havoline oil filter

Visc 100 cst 11.0
Water 0
Soot 0
grin.gif

Fuel 0
Glycol 0

FE 0
grin.gif

CR 0
PB 13
mad.gif

CU 5
SN 0
AL 0
SI 8
NA 1
MO 150
smile.gif

K 0

Nitration 5.0
Oxidation 10.8

TBN 6.3
shocked.gif

My comments: Look Ma! no iron wear!
lol.gif
Lead is still high and the increase in moly is from Maxlife engine protector didn't help at all. Changing air filter didn't help either although silicon is 5 ppm less than last interval. I do have some superflo 10w40 I could use that may help with the bearing wear. The viscosity is lower than previous analysis. TBN is up. could have maxlife engine protector boosted it up that high?
confused.gif
driving conditions were the same. As always any suggestions, comments, and insults are welcome.
tongue.gif

First UOA:

No oil additives or fuel additive in this interval. Sample taken with 3/4 oil was drained out. Results below from oilguard

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L/106965 miles
Exxon Superflo 10w-30
3113 miles
Oil capacity 4 qts
Make up oil: .75 qt
Air filter Fram with at least 30k miles on it
Havoline oil filter

Visc 100cst 13.6
Water 0
Soot 0.2
Fuel 0
glycol 0

FE 4
CR 0
PB 12
CU 4
SN 0
AL 1
SI 13
NA 0
MO 75
K 0

Nitration 8.8
Oxidation 3.5

[ October 22, 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Cutehumor ]

When it's new it's only supposed to be 10.4cSt @ 100C per exxon. 13.6? Does it usually thicken that much?

quote:

Originally posted by BlueBird:
interesting i had similair results using maxlife engine protector in that lead went up and iron went down...
dunno.gif

Your viscosity also increased marginally also.

quote:

Originally posted by BlueBird:
interesting i had similair results using maxlife engine protector in that lead went up and iron went down...
dunno.gif

Same here , then when I fixed engine ping both were low and I did not post as it was almost unbelievabley good refering to comments about another UOA I once posted .

Cutehumor ,

Has anti-freeze ever been in the motor and repaired prior to this interval ? I've seen it take up to 10k miles or more for the soft metal rod bearings to settle back in after a glycol leak is why I ask .

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
QUOTE]Same here , then when I fixed engine ping both were low and I did not post as it was almost unbelievabley good refering to comments about another UOA I once posted .

Cutehumor ,

Has anti-freeze ever been in the motor and repaired prior to this interval ? I've seen it take up to 10k miles or more for the soft metal rod bearings to settle back in after a glycol leak is why I ask .

the engine hasn't been opened up besides a valve cover gasket change. I sampled uoa for this car because at stoplights the coolant gauge climbs 1/3 up then settles back down driving. I don't know if GM gauges are accurate or what. It's probably the fan. There's no coolant loss in the reservior tank either. It has deathcool though since birth.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:

As always any suggestions, comments, and insults are welcome.
tongue.gif

BTW , thats a good line , can I have your permission to use it for a signature ?
smile.gif

sure by all means. You can add "questions" in there if you like too
cheers.gif

This reminds me..In 2-3 weeks, I'm going to do another oil change for this car and another UOA with 3.5k miles. That will be three UOA's for this car in a row with the same oil. isn't that a trend?
grin.gif
I've used the same oil/weight for two years in this engine. But should I change with the same and keep my trend going with
Exxon superflo 10w-30 SL( 9 qts left) or change to Free Valvoline Durablend 10w-30 SM or Pennzoil 10w-30 SL (12 qts left) (probably SM bought 11/30/04) or Castrol syntec blend SL 3 qt 10w-30/2 qt 5w-30
(it's leftover) opinions?

[ January 09, 2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Cutehumor ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back