94 Miata Specifics (10w-30 vs ... discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've done plenty of reading and lurking before finally making an account to get answers regarding my specific situation

Car: 1994 Mazda Miata M-edition with 53,000 miles (1.8L engine)
Type of driving: some shorter trips, a good amount of cruising with spirited driving
Other notes: I go to college in Boston so I will be storing the car for 9 months out of the year in a non climate controlled storage unit
Oils I often see run in miatas of this era: Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Mobil 1, Rotella T6
Manufacturer weight & specs: 10w-30, API Service SG, SH Energy Conserving II (ECII), ILSAC

A common problem with Miatas is lifter tick on start up. It is supposedly alleviated by running a thinner oil. I currently do not have this problem but I also do not know what oil is currently in the car (recent purchase)

In all of my reading and research, I cannot figure out why I wouldn't want to run a 0w-30 or a 5w-30 oil. The fact that it is thinner on start up and comes up to temp quicker seems like it is what I would be looking for. Is there any concern when running the car hard that a 0w-30 or 5w-30 would fail somehow? They should both be a 30 when at temp so why would it matter?

I just ordered Amsoil Signature Synthetic 10w-30 so I can get a baseline for what that oil is like in the car. For my next oil change would it be a good idea to try out Amsoil 5w-30, 0w-30, or switch brands to a redline or motul or... product?

I was going to say M1 0/40, cheap, easy to find, and quality. But try the Redline since you have it, maybe they just need a good run to bleed the lifters down?

I had a 99 miata and sold it in 2016. It had about 115K miles on it and no mechanical issues. It got a diet of 5w30. Initially it was conventional oil and then switched to full synthetic. If I remember correctly the 96 and 99/00 models had the identical 1.8l motor (valve train changes occurred in 01). 5w30 or 10w30 were the recommended oils for the 99. If you'd go to miata.net you'd find all kinds of oil recommendations but 5w30 and 0w30 for normally aspirated motors seems to be the most popular.

No problem going from a conventional 10W30 (original spec) to a synthetic 5W30 in a cold climate, or any climate. I see your logic.

Any modern Dexos1-Gen2 name brand synthetic will do you: Valvoline VAS, M1, PP, Edge etc. I'm sure your SS will work well too.

Me ? Castrol Magnatec 5W30 as it has polar molecules in the oil which cling to the metal and resist drain back for when the car is in storage.

Originally Posted By: GaryMX5
I had a 99 miata and sold it in 2016. It had about 115K miles on it and no mechanical issues. It got a diet of 5w30. Initially it was conventional oil and then switched to full synthetic. If I remember correctly the 96 and 99/00 models had the identical 1.8l motor (valve train changes occurred in 01). 5w30 or 10w30 were the recommended oils for the 99. If you'd go to miata.net you'd find all kinds of oil recommendations but 5w30 and 0w30 for normally aspirated motors seems to be the most popular.

right, so what is the downside to switching to a 0w-30 or a 5w-30 in my application?

Originally Posted By: SR5
Me ? Castrol Magnatec 5W30 as it has polar molecules in the oil which cling to the metal and resist drain back for when the car is in storage.

Has this technology been shown to work well or is it just a sales pitch that doesn't really work?

I can't think of any downsides. Lots and lots of 1st and 2nd generation miata owners have used one or even both of those oils. I even tried German Castrol (ow/30, the green stuff) several times. The downside with it was that it was hard to find at the time and expensive. It was also the only 0w30 available when I tried it (it was a faddish thing at the time but also a very good oil). I went back to M1 5w30. My car was driven year round (car is surprisingly good in the snow with good snow tires. I had no starting problems at all in the winter with 5w30 even with the pathetically small batteries the Miata had.

Amsoil will work great for your application. Redline would be my go to oil, but it's not necessary. I like group V oil, although it's mixed with additives and other grades.

Don't waste your money on boutique oils for a car like that, those engines are easy on oil. Run Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum and call it a day, there's no problem using 0W or 5W oil either, it's the 30 that matters.

These cars are raced and track-driven by the thousands every weekend. People use every oil imaginable in them and they tend to stay together just fine. I had one for six or seven years, ran M1 0W-40 in it, never had an issue and I was at the track 2-3 weekends a month for a lot of those years. Pick something, doesn't really matter what.

For my Miata, a 1992 1.6, similar climate, put away from November to April, I have used M1, PP, both 10w-30. Lifter tick on startup after a hot track session was bothersome to me. It was worse with the PP. Even after a 20 mile highway run the PP would have lifter tick at idle. I switched to Amsoil Z-Rod 10w-30, and have no lifter tick, even after a hot start during a track day. I am sure these early Miata will run a long time on any oil. And do. Mine sees the redline and sometimes the rev limiter during HPDE events. Plus a long off season storage like you will have. And I do not care how long the cat lives. I am not an Amsoil dealer and have no financial interest in their company. That is my 2 cents worth from a current NA Miata owner.

1997 1.8 Owner here !

I am in a similar situation with mine. Idk what oil was used for oil changes before me but at 31K Miles I changed it to 5w30 (Petronas 5000XS) and it's doing the job great. No tick from the lifters and pressure is coming very fast to the head after a cold start or a week without running. Pressure readings are also in the factory tolerances so I'm satisfied with it.

But the most important part is enjoying that thing !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back