94 Camry finally dies (short term I hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1994 Camry 4 cyl finally died at 181K. Died while driving slowly. No even hint of catching as engine is turned over. Nothing obvious under the hood. Timing belt has 60K maybe. Gas is at 1/2 tank. Ideas?

After checking for spark which is easy to do, check fuel pressure as it dies kind of instantly when the pump goes.

As a matter of fact: if time permits, I may rebuild this 3VZ-FE engine and save it for hauling a boler or small bigfoot trailer!

Q.

Rotor and cap and wires were replaced awhile ago so they only have maybe 10K miles. I am hoping (always) for some thing simple as I do not want it to be timing belt or fuel pump, although this car does have an access panel under the read seat for the fuel pump I think . Anyway its a Toyota and should not easily break.

Quote:

Anyway its a Toyota and should not easily break.

You are obviously unaware of Toyota's reliability issues, especially as of late.

How old is the battery? The only time either of the vans in my signature ever failed, it was an internal battery problem.

LOL, a 1994 with 180K and this is the first time the engine won't start, and you have the stones to say Toyota has reliability issues (especially if you have 2 mopar minivans)?

I bet it's the fuel pump. Open the access panel, stick your ear up in there, and have someone turn the ignition on. No pump sound equals dead pump. Been there, done that! Been stranded to.

If you think it's the fuel pump spray some starting fluid into the throttle body and try starting it. If it tries to start and maybe even runs for a second, guess what, it's probably the fuel pump.

Although it could also be a problem which is causing the injectors to not get any power which you could confirm with a "NOID" light or a test light connected across one of the fuel injector electrical connectors as you start the engine.

Really, I love these "My engine won't start, try to guess why" threads...

Engines need 4 things to run..compression, air, fuel, and spark. Figure out which one is missing and there's your problem.

Quote:

Rotor and cap and wires were replaced awhile ago so they only have maybe 10K miles. I am hoping (always) for some thing simple as I do not want it to be timing belt or fuel pump, although this car does have an access panel under the read seat for the fuel pump I think . Anyway its a Toyota and should not easily break.

It could still be the distributor. The cap/rotor aren't the only components. Usually the part that fails is the ignition coil. Not saying that's the problem, but it's a definite possibility
smile.gif

If you think it's the coil connect a timing light to one of the ignition leads and observe if it flashes when cranking.

If it doesn't it could still be the timing belt. Assuming distributor is driven by camshaft, check that distributor has moved after cranking. If not, timing belt probably broken.

My '93 Camry 4 cyl also had the same problem with the ignition coil 3 years ago at 167,000 miles. Replaced the coil in about 20 minutes and car now has 201,000 miles and runs perfectly.

It was the ONLY time it ever stranded me in 15 years and over 200k miles!

Quote:

i had the same exact problem with my 92-died out of nowhere- had to have it towed. Wound up to be the ignition coil

One of the problems is I am not currently at home where I have a ton of tools, fuel pressure gauges, fuel injector testers, etc.

The guy I took it to said it was the coil. He replaced that, the car starts and runs and said the condenser looked physically falling apart. But that appears to be a Toyota dealer item and will take a few days to locate. Unsure what a condenser does when you no longer have points. He feels or maybe assumes that the falling apart condenser may have caused the coil to fail.

Quote:

Quote:

Anyway its a Toyota and should not easily break.

You are obviously unaware of Toyota's reliability issues, especially as of late.

How old is the battery? The only time either of the vans in my signature ever failed, it was an internal battery problem.

Anyone driving Dodge minivans has no room to question Toyota's quality. You sir,have revealed your vast reserve of ignorance.
pat2.gif

My dad's 92 Camry just stalled at the stoplight and wouldn't start like it died. Got my buddy to check it out and found it needed a new ignition coil. Replaced the original OEM coil with a new OEM coil and works like new again. I don't think a bad condenser would cause the coil to fail. Just coincidence probably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Donald,

With electronic ignition control, the condenser is meant for suppressing noise associated with the system and not meant for suppressing the ignition point generated spark noise.

If it looks physically bad to you, may might as well replace it. Rock Auto has it for about 4 bucks.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back