92 honda accord w/ 175,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
new here and i was wondering what is the best additive to go with to gett my 1992 honda accord with 175,000 running better. it idles a little rough at times and is a little noisey sometimes. wondering what would help out my commuter to run better. also would love to see a mpg and hp gain if at all possible. thanks in advance for any help

new here and i was wondering what is the best additive to go with to gett my 1992 honda accord with 175,000 running better. it idles a little rough at times and is a little noisey sometimes. wondering what would help out my commuter to run better. also would love to see a mpg and hp gain if at all possible. also what brand and weight oil should i run in her for the winter and which for the summer? thanks in advance for any help

First determine why it idles rough. Fix whatever is wrong. That may include the use of some chemical agent. A good fuel system cleaner would be my first action of choice given the symptoms you describe.

I'd recommend Amsoil PI. There are others out there that produce favorable results too.

When was the last time the valves were adjusted? Ditto for replacing the PCV valve. If the timing belt is in need of replacement I'd add that to the "to do list" as well.

Don't forget the fuel filter!

Last edited:
where can i find the redline sl-1 i looked in autozone they didnt have it. would walmart have it?

the timing belt has been replaced and i havent touched the valves so i will have to look in that as well as the fuel filter.

would MMO in the oil be a good way to start a good internal cleaning? then either some MMO in gas tank or the redline sl-1

Redline SI-1 can be found retail at Pep Boys. Amazon.com is a common choice for mail order if you want a case of 12.

I like Redline SI-1 the best but all PEA based products are good so don't break the bank to get Redline. Gumout Regane is the easiest to get at many retail locations. When you get some results you can look into the more difficult to obtain products.

Originally Posted By: NickPic
would MMO in the oil be a good way to start a good internal cleaning? then either some MMO in gas tank or the redline sl-1

You could add a pint of MMO to the oil now or about 1000 miles before your next OC. Personally, I use MMO for the full OCI and have for years (as did my dad and grandfather) with no problems whatsoever. Keeps things from getting dirty that way and helps reduce wear.

As far as the gas, I would run a good fuel-system cleaner first. Then the MMO can be used as a UCL and will provide some additional cleaning (injectors) as well as lubricating the entire fuel system.

Sure couldn't hurt - especially with the E-10 c.r.a.p. gas we get these days...

Oh yeah, personally I am switching to Rotella T6 in everything now. Just hard to beat a good oil. Many Rotella supporters on here as well. As soon as my stash of Rotella T 5w40 is used up, it'll be exclusively Rotella T6.

Last edited:
What plugs are you using? My 92 REALLY prefers plain copper NGK, Denso, etc. I tried some Platinum plugs once, and found the car didn't like them one bit!

Check spark plug tubes for accumulated oil. This is caused by leaking valve cover o-rings. If enough oil builds up, it can partially short the plugs.

Unless the car is routinely wrung out, the valves seldom need adjustment.

Check the distributor cap and rotor. AFAIK, there was a design change somewhere around 92. Mismatched rotors/shaft combinations can cause problems, with the rotor actually wobbling as it wears.

What mileage are you getting?

What is plain copper?
Platinum or other precious metal plugs can be copper cored.
If the platinum pugs you tried were Bosch, then that is the problem.

Platinum is used for long life. The small tips also allow for better in/out of gas and flame propagation.

Standard steel tipped plugs can work great for short term use. But they wear quickly compared to prsecious metal tipped types, and that 'edge' disappears..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back