911 (997) Turbo Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
glxpassat - Yes I have read what you stated, however I think that the US lubricant will be one of those Approved. Porsche HO in NA should be able to quickly clear up that point!

Doug, I tried to talk to a service guy at a Porsche dealer, but he really didn't know anything about it other than it was factory fill. If you know a name/number/email, I would be willing to contact them and see what's up.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Mobil produces 2 different 0w-40 weight oils?

So if someone buys a 2009 911 Turbo the factory fill is German Mobil 1 0w-40?
Then if they replace it with Mobil 1 0w-40 from the U.S. market they are NOT putting in the same oil?

That is correct. Not only is it not the same, it hasn't been tested for Porsche approval since 2002.

So Porsche puts a Mobil 1 sticker on a car bound for the U.S. yet there are NO Mobil 1 U.S. oils on the approved list currently?

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

So Porsche puts a Mobil 1 sticker on a car bound for the U.S. yet there are NO Mobil 1 U.S. oils on the approved list currently?

Mobil-1 5w-50 is on the list if you can find it. Some MB dealers stock it and Porsche dealers may be able to order it.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
glxpassat - I have no contacts at Porsche Cars North America

I am sure a quick email to Porsche.com/usa or similar may be productive

Doug, I sent an email to Porsche through their website one time but I did not receive a response. It was the German site though.

Tim

There is something fundamentally wrong with this whole picture.

- You buy a $100,000 car
- They tell you that Mobil 1 0w-40 is in the crankcase
- You have a Mobil 1 suggested sticker under the hood
- You buy more Mobil 1 0w-40 and change the oil
- You have now filled your car with oil that is NOT approved for use in your $100,000 car

Mobil should be ashamed of themselves. Selling the worst version of their product domestically. Carrying the European Formula label no less. What a joke.

I do not believe there is a worst version and agree with Doug that the Mobil 1 0W-40 made and sold in the USA meets Porsche requirements. If I could afford a new or used Porsche, that is the oil I would use in it without question.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Mobil 1 0w-40 in the US is not the same as that found in Germany.

US version - There is no VW 503.01 approval and states "Porsche approval list 2002" (from when it was SL rated).

German version - has the VW 503.01 rating and states "Porsche Approved" and has same viscosity specs as the older SL version.

If you go to a MB dealer, some stock Mobil 1 5w-50 which is on the approved list.

Did you check the M1 web site on the VW 503 approval list. M1 0-40 is approved for both Porsche and VW and it's the US made version.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

Last edited:
tig1,

I agree that the web site you noted DOES include VW 503.01. However, the PDS linked from that web site does NOT include VW 503.01 and the current US M1 0W-40 bottles do NOT include 503.01.

I am guessing that all M1 0W-40 IS VW 503.01 approved but the current US bottles and PDS do not say that. Doesn't do much for peace of mind for the owner of a $100,000 car.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Did you check the M1 web site on the VW 503 approval list. M1 0-40 is approved for both Porsche and VW and it's the US made version.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

The advertisment has never changed, but as Roy stated, the PDS has, as well as the label on the bottle.

When I first discovered the discrepancy between the US and German versions, I posted about it here one night and gave a link for the PDS of both SM versions. Not only did Mobil change the foreign websites to agree with the US, they did it overnight, as the next morning they were changed and my post did not make any sense. Folks thought I was crazy!

Why would they do that? We know from Doug Hillary and the Candian website that the SM formula in those countries is the same as the older SL version, so why would Mobil change those sites overnight, actually delivering false information to the people in those countries?

I just called Mobil tech and they say it, 0-40, does meet VW 503.1 but it's not on the bottle. I double checked and he again said it for sure meets the spec. I also know the 5-30EP also meets the Vette spec but isn't printed on the bottle.

VW 503.01 has not been on the PDS since the SM version came out years ago. It stayed listed on the back of the bottle for a long time though until just recently they took it off to match the PDS. He may have been looking at the website ad posted above, but who knows...

Hi,
glxpassat - We have drifted off the OT!

VW503.01 was superceded by VW504. Six versions of M1 0W-40 Worldwide (similar number to Porsche) are Approved by Porsche to VW502, 505.01, 504 or 507. Forumulation variations are minor!

In NA some other M1 viscosities are VW504/7 Approved. Keep in mind that VW engines (example V6) installed in some Porsche vehicles will require the VW specced lubricant

The M1 0W-40 lubricant currently available in NA is Porsche Approved for use in the OP's vehicle!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

The M1 0W-40 lubricant currently available in NA is Porsche Approved for use in the OP's vehicle!

Thank God for Doug! You do more for Mobil 1 than anybody.

Can I ask you if you think 0w-40 can be safely used in a vehicle factory spec'd for 5w-30? I have a 1996 Lincoln Town Car, which has the Ford 4.6 in it.

Hi,
Art_Vandelay - Well I would use it!
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back