GC vs Castrol 5W-40 Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vw 502 rating is basically an indiactor that it has a HTHS viscosity of 3.5. The M1 5w-40 is a heaver duty oil than the M1 0w-40 or Syntec 5w-40.

In terms of engine wear, 5W-40 T&SUV will likely be a fine choice in the 2.0T. In terms of prolonging longevity of the emissions control components, it may be a less than ideal choice. I'm not exactly sure how the emissions control system between the Euro and US version of the 2.0T differs, but the Euro version requires a low SAPS oil (VW 504 -- all are 5W-30 with HTHS=/>3.5) for maximum emission control and emission control systems longevity.

M1 T&SUV 5W-40 does not appear to exceed any limits stipulated by VW 502, but without seeing the actual test sequence results you can't know for sure. I have no concerns regarding the use of M1 T&SUV in older VW/Audi engines that require VW 500, 502 or 505 oil. As for using this oil in the 2.0T, I'm not sure if I'd do it without informing myself about the emissions control components and their specific requirements.

Quote:

BC lacks VW LL 503.01 spec and was formulated in 1998 with a magnesium-based additive package to meet the VW502/A3 spec. Nothing special in my book. I am a Castrol fan, but would prefer Delvac-1 or even Rotella Synth.

No 5W40 with the VW 503.01 out there man.

I e-mail VAG in Germany about the 502 50301 deal. They didnt go into detail and how the testing procedures are done, but basically stated that 502 00 = Cars on fixed oil intervals
503 01= Cars with Long Life intervals (the Europeans get the oil meter that tells you when to change oil)

Quote:

Is 503.01 the most stringent test?

Depends on your definition of "stringent." Different tests with different parameters to meet different specs are not all that easily compared.

Quote:

I e-mail VAG in Germany about the 502 50301 deal. They didnt go into detail and how the testing procedures are done, but basically stated that 502 00 = Cars on fixed oil intervals
503 01= Cars with Long Life intervals (the Europeans get the oil meter that tells you when to change oil)

VW 502.00 is for cars on regular or extended service intervals.

VW 503.01 is an oil spec for cars equipped for LongLife Service, which includes a flexible service interval display. VW 503.01 allows for very long drain intervals, because this oil spec is tailored for that type application.

VW 503.01 spec oil does not do any better in regular or slightly extended drain intervals (up to 10k miles or so) than VW 502.00.

Well that is interesting. The Europeans sure like to stretch out those OCI's. No thanks...I'll stick with 5K-7.5K OCI's.

David

Quote:

The Europeans sure like to stretch out those OCI's.

The reasons are:
- conservation of resources
- high price of engine oil
- convenience

In the US version 2.0T I'd use a VW 502 oil. In the Euro version I'd use the recommended VW 504 oil. Regarding oil change intervals, I'd rather err on the conservative side and establish an appropriately longer oil change interval via repeated UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back