9 mm +P bulk ammo

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
If you want to do this, I'd use normal loads for practice, and +Ps for carry.
I would not because the point of impact and recoil are going to be different and if you train on one and switch, your muscle memory will not be the same. Practice with what you carry, but that is just me.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I would not because the point of impact and recoil are going to be different and if you train on one and switch, your muscle memory will not be the same. Practice with what you carry, but that is just me.

I've never noticed too much difference with 9mm. Even UMC vs Corbon 115+P in the same mag the difference isn't huge. POI change isn't going to come into play at self defense distances. If cheap ammo gets you to the range to practice more then it's the best ammo.

I use Winchester 9mm NATO 124grn loaded to 1200fps. Most 124grn +P is loaded to 1220-1250ish that I've seen... Not that I've studied the ballistics charts. Anyway it's relatively cheap and available

Email today from sgammo, works out less than $0.21/round.

Winchester 9mm NATO

Originally Posted by Me
Browning and SIG both make FMJs and HPs in the same bullet weight so your shooting experience is completely the same from practice to real world.

That was my very next sentence. And I second hatt's comment, at "logical, responsible" self-defense distances with a 3-4" barreled handgun, you are still going to be minute-of-man accurate with either "normal" or +P rounds.

The point of impact and recoil difference between 115 gr +P+ and typical 124 gr standard pressure 9mm is going to be pretty much nothing. We're not talking .357 magnum vs. .38 Special here.

Originally Posted by AlaskaMike

Secondly, military ammo--including WWII German stuff is loaded to higher pressures than SAAMI spec for standard pressure ammo, and is +P as far as SAAMI is concerned.

Interesting that you brought that up. I had some WW-II ball ammo that clearly had an extra 200 FPS.

The better (best) 9mm load for carry, IMO, is a 124gr +P JHP

I have it from Speer (Gold Dot), Federal, Winchester

I also buy it from Georgia Arms. They load it with Speer Gold Dot bullets.

I also tend not to carry a 9mm, but either a 45 ACP or .357 Sig

Originally Posted by thooks
The better (best) 9mm load for carry, IMO, is a 124gr +P JHP

I agree - Gold Dot and HST for me.

For plinking I think I will pick up few k rounds of Sellier 9 mm, brass stuff and quite fast too.

I keep my eye on HST sales, I think I missed the targetsports sale on Fed HST.

Dang, those pre WII are super hot loads, are those all FMJ ball ammo?

Comparing the velocity between P and +P and +P+, I think I will ok with any of them, in a defensive scenario, thoughts?

Originally Posted by stockrex
Comparing the velocity between P and +P and +P+, I think I will ok with any of them, in a defensive scenario, thoughts?

There are a lot of differing opinions and frames of thought. I wouldn't really compare velocity and worry about that. A 147 HST is only about 1000 feet per second, but is considered a top load. Speer Gold Dot 124+p is going 1220, and is considered a top load. Federal 115 +p+ is going 1300 and has tremendous street credibility for over 20 years.

Honesty people over think this stuff. Ammo is probably going to work and save your life in an emergency, no matter if your gun is loaded with HST or FMJ. There would be a tiny fraction of events where a premium ammo saves your life but a budget ammo gets you killed.

That being said, whats your life worth? Mine is as least worth a $20 on sale box of premium HST ammo... I do keep cases of Federal 9BPLE in stock at my house and do use it in my back up magazines, since its cheaper, and the likelihood that I would need any ammo, let alone a back up magazine, are incredibly small.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Danke!

looks like regular ammo is 12xx ft/s vs +p is 13xx ft/s

Sellier & Bellot 115gr ball ammo is about that hot. It definitely has more pop to it than other range ammo I've used. Cheap, clean, widely available and it comes in small boxes. S&B is awesome.

Have had some squib loads with the S&B. 380 I bought about 3 years ago.

The Hungarian Geco stuff isn't bad in 9mm and uts cheap from SGammo.

Originally Posted by Toros

... when it's in stock.

Not sure if anyone's looked around in the last few days but the supply of basic cheap range ammo from the major online retailers is slowly starting to dry up, apparently due to the imminent threat of a COVID-19 zombie apocalypse or something. Time to panic!

Like the "which caliber is best" argument, in a defensive scenario, the best one is the one you can put on target most consistently, under pressure, in a defensive scenario.

What good is a higher velocity round if you don't have good shot placement?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMike
The point of impact and recoil difference between 115 gr +P+ and typical 124 gr standard pressure 9mm is going to be pretty much nothing. We're not talking .357 magnum vs. .38 Special here.
I will agree to disagree on this. +P+ will have a higher point of impact than non +P+ and there is a definite recoil difference. +P+ ammo has no SAAMI specifications and can vary widely between batches and manufacturers. I have seen it far too many times when shooting various pistols and ammunition and I have capped more than my fair share.

... when it's in stock.

Not sure if anyone's looked around in the last few days but the supply of basic cheap range ammo from the major online retailers is slowly starting to dry up, apparently due to the imminent threat of a COVID-19 zombie apocalypse or something. Time to panic!

You're right. Checked a few online sources. Almost all decently priced range ammo is "email me when back in stock".

I figured the loonies would get around to that soon enough 🙄. Of course the media is primarily responsible as usual. " if it bleeds it leads".

You're right. Checked a few online sources. Almost all decently priced range ammo is "email me when back in stock".

Yep. You can still get it at this point, but it probably won't be your preferred brand at a price you're used to paying.

I'm a big fan of S&B and Geco for their clean ammo, small boxes and bargain price, but in its absence I had to settle on a 1000 round box of loose CCI/Speer at an online supplier I never used before. Not a big deal, but it's not really what I wanted either. That said, I'm still glad I got it.

Yep. You can still get it at this point, but it probably won't be your preferred brand at a price you're used to paying.

I'm a big fan of S&B and Geco for their clean ammo, small boxes and bargain price, but in its absence I had to settle on a 1000 round box of loose CCI/Speer at an online supplier I never used before. Not a big deal, but it's not really what I wanted either. That said, I'm still glad I got it.

This will return to normal in 90 days or less. I'm flush for now. Good to hear about the Geco...got my sights set on that. Like Magtech value for $$ too.

In the mean time it's s great opportunity to start rolling your own. Once you start you won't be likely going back to factory stuff unless it's for cases?

Back