9 mm +P bulk ammo

What do you guys shoot for 9mm +P ?
I found some 9mm - +P+ 115 Grain JHP - Federal Hi-Shok LE for 31 cents plus shipping

This would be for a Sig p365

I wouldn't stack that up. You can get good range ammo for a lot cheaper. You can also get the lastest defense ammo for just a little more.

Remember shooting it heavy potency ammo on a regular basis cuan be rough on the gun,Particularly those lightweight alloys that they been using for sometime now in the small versions. I don't have anything against using it here in there but a steady diet I'm not so keen on personally for longevity reasons.

I use Winchester 9mm NATO 124grn loaded to 1200fps. Most 124grn +P is loaded to 1220-1250ish that I've seen... Not that I've studied the ballistics charts. Anyway it's relatively cheap and available

Keep an eye on targetsportsusa.com. They've been having half price HST or Gold Dots every few weeks. Speer Lawman range ammo is $9-10 a box.

I don't shoot +p ammo for range use or carry. I've always felt that if standard 9mm ammo wasn't enough for carry that it's time to step up to another caliber. Guess what, I still carry standard 9mm hollow point ammo.
wink.gif

I reload , so I do not purchase loaded 9 x 19 mm ammo .

Do not have my loading manuals with me , right now , but I doubt the = P ammo is really that much " hotter " than " normal " ammo . If I am wrong , please correct me .

I will keep an eye on targetsportsusa

I plink with cheapo feds fmjs

I though I would buy some +P for my stash, definitely carry ammo but more a want than a needs.

Good point on gun wear, I will keep use to a min on the +p.

Not sure on the velocity diffs though, good point, I will pull some specs on regular vs +P

I'll post if this thread the next time I see the sale at targetsports. If's a great deal for people looking to buy quality defense ammo.

Originally Posted by Boomer
Remember, regular 9 mm ball ammo served the German army well in WW II.

Didn't they lose that one?

I know, I know, I just had to get that in before someone else did.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted by Boomer
Remember, regular 9 mm ball ammo served the German army well in WW II.

Didn't they lose that one?

I know, I know, I just had to get that in before someone else did.

I debated doing so earlier. lol

Originally Posted by stockrex
Danke!

looks like regular ammo is 12xx ft/s vs +p is 13xx ft/s

Sellier & Bellot 115gr ball ammo is about that hot. It definitely has more pop to it than other range ammo I've used. Cheap, clean, widely available and it comes in small boxes. S&B is awesome.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I reload , so I do not purchase loaded 9 x 19 mm ammo .

Do not have my loading manuals with me , right now , but I doubt the = P ammo is really that much " hotter " than " normal " ammo . If I am wrong , please correct me .

SAAMI says +P has 3500 more psi Max Average Pressure than regular and compared velocity @ 15', up to 50 more fps for a 124 gr bullet

If you want to do this, I'd use normal loads for practice, and +Ps for carry.

Browning and SIG both make FMJs and HPs in the same bullet weight so your shooting experience is completely the same from practice to real world. 31 cents per round for bulk seems a tad high, LuckyGunner has 1000 rounds for $135 if you don't mind shooting steel-cased, Russian ammo:
Super deal! 13.5 cents per round!

As above, SG Ammo.
May not always be the cheapest (often are), always the best.

Yea, I am a fan.

A couple of observations on a couple of the posts so far. Firstly, the OP was asking about +P, but the ammo he mentions is +P+. This ammo is even hotter than normal +P, and in fact there is no SAAMI spec for +P+. You kind of have to trust that any ammo labeled +P+ is safe in your weapon. Probably not too big of a risk with Winchester production, but something to consider.

Secondly, military ammo--including WWII German stuff is loaded to higher pressures than SAAMI spec for standard pressure ammo, and is +P as far as SAAMI is concerned.

To address the original question, if my weapon is safe to use with +P ammo, I'd buy a box or two of the +P+ stuff that was mentioned and see how my weapon shoots with it. If it likes it (ie, it's 100% reliable and nicely accurate), then I wouldn't hesitate to buy large quanties. I probably wouldn't shoot it regularly at the range though--I'd go with standard pressure stuff to reduce wear and tear on my weapon.

Back