87 Monte Carlo SS

Hey oil fans…

I need some help. I recently inherited my dad’s 87 Monte Carlo SS. It only has 23K miles. The engine is in great shape of course and I want to keep it that way. :)

On oil selection, I have researched this a lot… including all of Lake Speed Jr’s video on YouTube.

Where I have fallen is do I go with a high ZDDP formulation like Driven HR-2 or Lucas Hotrod & Classic Car… OR should I be looking at an API approved formulation… if it’s an API approved formation, should I be looking at a high mileage setup to protect seals.

I would love to get opinions or facts on this topic and next steps… thanks in advance. I added a pic for fun.

IMG_0245.jpeg

Any euro or diesel 30/40 grade would do if i had it. No need for any special zddp oil like that but you could use castrol edge euro 5w-30 or delvac extreme 15w-40 if you want high zddp options that are on the Walmart shelf and very well priced. I think these were the last of the flat tappets but the spring tension isn't high I believe so you shouldn't need any high zddp oil anyway.

Did the 1987 305 HO have roller cams?
I don’t know… I haven’t researched that yet.

My other significant concern is the seals. The only change the car has had outside of fluids over the years are wiper blades and tires. Everything else is original.

I don’t know… I haven’t researched that yet.

My other significant concern is the seals. The only change the car has had outside of fluids over the years are wiper blades and tires. Everything else is original.
Your issue with the seals is going to be age - and there isn’t an oil that can fix age. You can get seal conditioners, which attempt to soften, but opinions on their use is mixed.

No!
I believe 1988 was when they came out with A Roller Cam in certain Chevrolet Vehicles.
I was around during those years, owned a 1985 Trans-Am (equipped with the 305 SBC) and I remember 1987 being the year that Chevy went to roller cams. My car was only two years old, and already obsolete…

Would an '87 have the vastly improved hoses of today?
In other words,.....Should you change every hose in that car ASAP?
How is the master cylinder lid seal? They can 'just sag away'.

Would an '87 have the vastly improved hoses of today?
In other words,.....Should you change every hose in that car ASAP?
How is the master cylinder lid seal? They can 'just sag away'.
Very likely. It is now a project to return it back to its previous glory. It definitely needs belts, headliner, door rain guards and driver door window motor, too.

I have noticed the master cylinder lid seal.

Even if it doesn’t have the roller, and we disagree on that, the oil recommendation remains the same.

The 305 of that vintage was a low lift, modest duration, cam. It doesn’t need a bunch of zinc. The spring pressures are low. The cam profile gentle.

It’s fine with whatever oil he wants to run.

Back